Should I reapply this cycle or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJurassic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to only MD schools this past cycle. I'm still on the waitlist (top 1/3) for one school, but I know my chances of getting off now are slim. One of the biggest mistakes I made was applying late (some in early August, others in September through November). I also don't have anything that stands out on my application (just standard shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.) so that might have been another factor. I was originally planning on waiting until next year (2018-2019 cycle) to apply again to both MD and DO programs, but I'm worried that having three gap years (I graduated in 2016) will hurt my chances of getting in. Is it better to just wait until the 2018-2019 cycle so I can strengthen my application (get more volunteer experience, work as a CNA) or apply this cycle to DO schools only? My gap year wasn't very medically-inclined (I traveled abroad, volunteered at a tutoring program for elementary school students throughout the school year, worked in retail for a few months, did some shadowing, studied IT and am now applying for a programmer job) so I'm worried that this might reflect badly on my commitment to medicine.

My stats are: cgpa 3.74, sgpa 3.73, mcat: 514 (took it three times)

Members don't see this ad.

state of residence: VA

school list:
-EVMS
-UVA
-VCU
-Drexel
-GW
-Quinnipiac
-Chicago Medical (Rosalind)
-Georgetown
-Tulane
-NYMC

I sent primaries to some other schools (Duke, USC, Brown) but I never submitted my secondary to them because I was applying so late and knew my chances were low.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are certainly competitive for MD schools. Your late applications may have been a factor at some schools. If you plan to reapply this year you should do so this month and submit all your secondaries by mid August. These are schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
EVMS
VCU
UVA
Virginia Tech
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
NYMC
Hofstra
Einstein
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several.

Reactions: 1 user
3x MCAT? What were your previous scores? That may hinder your app a bit.

27 (9,9,9) and then 26 (9,9, 8V). I rushed into taking the exam the second time because I was afraid of the exam changing. I waited a year until I took it the third time.

27 (9,9,9) and then 26 (9,9, 8V). I rushed into taking the exam the second time because I was afraid of the exam changing. I waited a year until I took it the third time.
Ok, so not too bad, I think the biggest factor was applying late. Your previous scores are definitely good enough for DO schools and your last score is more than enough for low and mid tier MD. I suggest applying like right now this cycle, get everything in, then do a AACOMAS app and add only schools you see yourself attending as safety schools. If all goes well, you should see yourself with an MD acceptance this cycle. Agree with Faha on school list too. Maybe add UMiami as you are around their MCAT and GPA range.

Reactions: 1 user