Should I Quit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreaming

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My first year GPA was 2.8 (mainly due to laziness and procrastinating). If I get a perfect GPA the next 3 years, my cumulative GPA would only be 3.7 (I know I am capable of getting A+ s because I've done it this term.). Should I quit, seeing as how a lot cutoffs at Canadian medical schools are around 3.8?
I understand the fact that some medical schools take your 2 best years, drop your worst marks, have a weighted average, etc., but is it still worth it, seeing as how there are more than enough applicants with 3.8+ GPAs to fill up all the spots? Is there any point of still trying, knowing there's people who haven't screwed up any years?

Members don't see this ad.

Dreaming... you know what.. reading your post at 2am. I will say yes. QUIT.

Cause I surely don't want a quiter as my doctor.

PS. You answered your own question by stating that some schools take your best 2 years or do weighted years. etc.. Getting in is not only GPA.

docbill said:
Dreaming... you know what.. reading your post at 2am. I will say yes. QUIT.

Cause I surely don't want a quiter as my doctor.

If he quits though, he will NOT be your doctor, right? If he does become your doctor then obviously he hasn't quit! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I have another question.

If I do a MSc after my BSc, would med schools care if I did the type of MSc that consists of only coursework and no thesis? Would it be disadvantageous to do that instead of doing a thesis? How much of a difference would it make/

Dreaming said:
Hi,

My first year GPA was 2.8 (mainly due to laziness and procrastinating). If I get a perfect GPA the next 3 years, my cumulative GPA would only be 3.7 (I know I am capable of getting A+ s because I've done it this term.). Should I quit, seeing as how a lot cutoffs at Canadian medical schools are around 3.8?
I understand the fact that some medical schools take your 2 best years, drop your worst marks, have a weighted average, etc., but is it still worth it, seeing as how there are more than enough applicants with 3.8+ GPAs to fill up all the spots? Is there any point of still trying, knowing there's people who haven't screwed up any years?

I was in the same shoes as you and I did not quit. There is always a way if you´re determined. I went to a latin-american med school and then tranferred to US and now I am even better off if I would have gone to a Canadian med school. YOu know better what you´re capabe of than some one who rejects your application after spending 3 mins. rewieving it.

jungar said:
I was in the same shoes as you and I did not quit. There is always a way if you´re determined. I went to a latin-american med school and then tranferred to US and now I am even better off if I would have gone to a Canadian med school. YOu know better what you´re capabe of than some one who rejects your application after spending 3 mins. rewieving it.

congratulations.
please, let us know how did you succeded. i ask this because when i go to any medical school site it says they do not accept transfers. you must be a very intelligent guy.
again congratulations.

Do I hear Caribbean drums in the background?

Dreaming said:
Hi,

i think you can make it if you can prove that you have the potential to get high marks. they understand that first year is a big adjustment for some and it take time to get your grove. you will however have to prove that you have the capability and the experience outside of class to be a good doc.

i understnad that its abit intimidating when there so manny ppl who seem to have impreccable GPAs and MCATS but thats no all there is to being a doc. you have time, use it to develop a great sketch and you will have a better oppotunity to get in. it al depend on ho bad you want it.

Hi Dreaming,

My first DEGREE had less than that GPA. I was barely 17 when I started university and had no clue what I wanted to do, as well as my own apartment, a job, and a boyfriend with a motorcycle. (I had breezed through highschool and had no study habits.) I didn't go to class, ever. No joke. I should have failed by Christmas. But I did limp along and graduate (not taking any of it seriously) and started a career as a social worker and counselor.

So when I was 25 and realized I wanted to be a doctor, I had to go back to school. I started a biology degree three years ago and am graduating this May, and my GPA now is 3.74 (I'm also working 30 hours/week at a homeless shelter). Many schools did count both degrees together and reject me out of hand. But at least one did not, and I have an interview with them (McGill) tomorrow. (I'm pretty sure acing the MCAT helped.)

Don't kill yourself to get 4.0 the whole time in "penance". I think medical schools are interested in the whole package; get involved in your community, get involved politically, show that you are interested in something besides your career and making money and being cool. You'll grow a lot and they won't begrudge that you have a 3.5 overall instead of a 3.7.

And, as somebody else said, schools do sometimes count only the last three years etc... But make sure you are taking 5 courses a semester! I got burned that way (my first 3 semesters, I took less because I was working 40 hours a week, and a lot of schools didn't take that into consideration despite the letter of attestation from my employer).

Best of luck to you. If you really want this, you'll do it. If it takes till you're 30 (that's me this summer, sigh), well, hey - if you don't do it, you'll be 30 anyway, right? So when you're 30, would you rather be starting med school or not starting med school?

Best wishes,

Cat

Dreaming said:
Hi,

2.8 gpa???? laziness and procrastination are not qualities seen in physicians... give up the ghost and move on.

bigbits99 said:
2.8 gpa???? laziness and procrastination are not qualities seen in physicians... give up the ghost and move on.

Wow, somebody's trying out for the a$$h@le award. And the winner is...