Should I put a special course I took for credit under the Experiences section of AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SashKoshOMGosh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a course on marine phycology because aside from medicine, I also am very interested in environmental science issues. I did receive credit for this course, but my transcripts obviously do not provide the full picture. I travelled to the Bahamas to do this course and actually worked out in the field everyday. Is it ok to also put this course under my experiences section on the AACOMAS app? I have this same question about my study abroad in Spain. Received credit, but would like to talk about it more than what appears on my transcripts. How does this look to adcoms? I don't want to "double dip." Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno how adcoms would look at it, but since AACOMAS doesn't allow you to really enter narratives regarding classes taken for credit, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to put it under experiences if these events had a significant impact on you. Otherwise, you can try and weave it into your personal statement. Either one would probably work, it really just depends on how your PS is structured. I wouldn't think they would see it as a particularly unfavorable thing to put them into experiences, because A) they are indeed experiences and B) they honestly will probably just skim over your classes taken and not pay much attention to the actual course names outside of pre-reqs, etc. I don't expect them to analyze all 40 of my undergraduate classes when they have dozens, if not hundreds of apps on their desk at any given time.

I dunno how adcoms would look at it, but since AACOMAS doesn't allow you to really enter narratives regarding classes taken for credit, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to put it under experiences if these events had a significant impact on you. Otherwise, you can try and weave it into your personal statement. Either one would probably work, it really just depends on how your PS is structured. I wouldn't think they would see it as a particularly unfavorable thing to put them into experiences, because A) they are indeed experiences and B) they honestly will probably just skim over your classes taken and not pay much attention to the actual course names outside of pre-reqs, etc. I don't expect them to analyze all 40 of my undergraduate classes when they have dozens, if not hundreds of apps on their desk at any given time.

Thanks for the response, those are my thoughts too. Good to have another person's opinion though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it a class for credit? No? Then I don't really think it belongs under the experiences section.

The alternative would be to have it on your transcript but maybe write about it in the experiences section but I don't really know why it would need to be included. It's not relevant to your application for medical school.

Was it a class for credit? No? Then I don't really think it belongs under the experiences section.

The alternative would be to have it on your transcript but maybe write about it in the experiences section but I don't really know why it would need to be included. It's not relevant to your application for medical school.

OP says he received credit for it. I don't see why putting it as an experience is a problem if it involved travel and field work.

Reactions: 1 user
OP says he received credit for it. I don't see why putting it as an experience is a problem if it involved travel and field work.
I guess it doesn't really matter:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You're right though probably isn't a problem. I just know that some "abroad" courses are a joke but it doesn't sound like that was the case for opie.

Reactions: 1 user