Should I push through with research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazerplayer1717

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So in January i started working in a lab as a lab aide - and starting in August I began doing my own research. Over the last few months, however, I have learned that bench research is not for me. My lab is very time consuming, and I do not enjoy it very much. Being a junior, it is most likely too late for me to try and switch labs (even so I don't think I'm interested in that option anyway). Also, I don't think I would have enough time to continue volunteering as well as studying for the MCAT next semester if I am doing lab work for 20 hours a week.

However, my GPA is very good (3.96), and I have been a TA for gen chem lab since first semester sophomore year and am now an OChem TA as well. I have solid volunteering (about 175 hours clinical and 60 hours other by application time), and about 50 shadowing hours by application time. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I have other minor ECs as well.

What I am wondering is how leaving my research lab would affect my application. I am not particularly interested in attending a "top" medical school if that helps.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

Schools aren't demanding that you love research, but rather want to see that you've gotten exposure to it so that you know what real science is like (and if you like it or not, as you've now discovered for yourself).

So I think you should be fine, as long as you're able to articulate in interviews what you learned from the experience, and why you decided it isn't for you.

Reactions: 1 user
20 hrs/week seems like an overkill especially with classes and other activities. Being prepared for the MCAT is way more important than getting those few hours of research in IMO, especially if you have decided bench research is not for you.

If you have to use the words "push through," then the answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.