Should I push my MCAT back that far??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfghjklpengu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am studying for the MCAT using Kaplan's self-paced course- I bought it mid-June and have been studying technically for two months, but the program expires in mid-November (5 months total). I have not officially signed up yet for a date, and the last one offered this year is September 9.

Right now, I do not feel ready. I did get somewhat distracted with my study schedule doing research, working in the hospital, volunteering, and shadowing. Those are all great opportunities and I still did get some studying done, but am not nearly to the point where I should be. Now I have the last date of the year looming over me in just three weeks and I don't really feel like I can get it together by then without having to retake it-- which I don't want to do.

Would it be wiser to push my exam to January, finish taking notes on the course content/take the practice exams through November along with my school schedule but a little more spread out, and then buy other full lengths and review all my notes until the next round comes out early January? Or do I just cram cram cram and try to grind everything out before the next three weeks are up?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the AAMC Sample Exam under simulated exam conditions, and report back. Best indicator of performance (+/- 7pts) imo without wasting an AAMC FL, since there are only 2 now.

So I am studying for the MCAT using Kaplan's self-paced course- I bought it mid-June and have been studying technically for two months, but the program expires in mid-November (5 months total). I have not officially signed up yet for a date, and the last one offered this year is September 9.

Right now, I do not feel ready. I did get somewhat distracted with my study schedule doing research, working in the hospital, volunteering, and shadowing. Those are all great opportunities and I still did get some studying done, but am not nearly to the point where I should be. Now I have the last date of the year looming over me in just three weeks and I don't really feel like I can get it together by then without having to retake it-- which I don't want to do.

Would it be wiser to push my exam to January, finish taking notes on the course content/take the practice exams through November along with my school schedule but a little more spread out, and then buy other full lengths and review all my notes until the next round comes out early January? Or do I just cram cram cram and try to grind everything out before the next three weeks are up?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, push it back. I studied over the semester and as long as you have a well detailed plan, spreading out content review and exams like that can work.

Reactions: 1 user