Should I pursue DO? Career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mollusk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I've been contemplating switching careers to a DO. I'm currently graduating with a masters in OT. But I've been having doubts about OT all throughout graduate school. I was drawn to OT due to it's holistic approach to healthcare.... but now that I've found out about DO I would really like to pursue this career change. However, I'm worried that my stats are so bad that I might be wasting my time.

Here's my stats as is
Based off the AACOMAS excel calculator that I found on this forum:
cumulative GPA: 3.414
science GPA: 3.038
undergrad GPA: 2.965
graduate/postbac gpa: 3.906

I haven't taken the MCATs yet, but I'm aiming for at least a 502.

With these stats, would it be worth pursuing DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Aim higher on the MCAT and I would say absolutely go for it. Your post bacc is great

1) Don't call it "the MCATs"

2) Scoring 505+ opens doors to almost all DO schools as I've heard they reward reinvention (as shown by your post-bacc GPA).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Echoing both statements made by @Siromas above (it's just the MCAT, not MCATs ;).) I would also add that you should try to score a balanced 505+ (relatively similar scores in each section.)

I definitely think you'd get attention from DO schools, especially if you present your story well in your personal statement and secondary essays.. in addition to scoring well on the MCAT.

Make sure you get some DO shadowing in as well (if you haven't already) so you can further convince ADCOMs that you know what you're getting yourself into with the career change.

Good luck!
-NF

Reactions: 1 user
if you're interested in the medicine component than yes. Especially if you want something a little more challenging. But it depends on a lot of factors. Consider when you'll be done with medical school/resdency and see if you're willing to wait for that long, since you already finished OT. Look at loans too, of course. And family aspect, do you have/or want a family?The hollistic aspect of DO is a myth for the most part.