Should I pursue a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MutterButter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming 3rd year vet student with an overwhelming love for Veterinary Nutrition. I just came back from a conference that got me even more fired up about nutrition, and I would love to make it my career. I am tempted to pursue a residency to get boarded in nutrition.... BUT-

The problem is that I have three things making me hesitate:
1. My current GPA (under 3.0)
2. My long-term boyfriend (future husband until proven otherwise) would have to have a long-distance relationship with me for at least a few years
3. I don't live for school

I really want to work in veterinary nutrition and for people to take me seriously when it comes to nutrition - I am currently an industry representative at my school for a pet food company. I just worry that I am eliminating the potential path towards getting boarded in nutrition because of my current academic/relationship status.

Does anyone have some insight to help with this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I just worry that I am eliminating the potential path towards getting boarded in nutrition because of my current academic/relationship status.
Or......you're risking the health of your relationship and your own mental health by pursuing a residency to get Boarded.

I don't know what you should choose, and your desire for a residency seems to be coming from the right place (i.e. for a love of the subject, not simply because it's somehow better than being a GP). But it might be a strain on your mental health to be so deeply in depth in studies if you have very little down time, and might put a strain on your relationship to be so long separated from your boyfriend.

Reactions: 1 user
Or......you're risking the health of your relationship and your own mental health by pursuing a residency to get Boarded.

I don't know what you should choose, and your desire for a residency seems to be coming from the right place (i.e. for a love of the subject, not simply because it's somehow better than being a GP). But it might be a strain on your mental health to be so deeply in depth in studies if you have very little down time, and might put a strain on your relationship to be so long separated from your boyfriend.

I agree! I also like the idea of working in general practice, I just want to be able to employ my passion for nutrition.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you ONLY want to do nutrition and nothing else, then I would pursue a residency. If you would be happy as a GP (maybe one who has a special focus in nutrition), then I would go the GP route.

I don't know how competitive nutrition residencies are so not sure how much your GPA would affect you. A residency is nothing like vet school imo (though I don't know specifically how a nutrition residency works), it very much is like a job where you are also expected to read journal articles weekly/teach/present seminars. The only time my residency has felt like school to me was when I was studying for boards. As for your relationship, only you can decide how pursuing a residency will impact it and if it's worth it. I've been long distance with my boyfriend for 5 out of the 6 years we've been together because of our career goals, but I think it's actually made our relationship stronger..he never asked me to choose between pursuing specialization and our relationship, and I appreciate him more for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think it's too early to make any final decisions. You still have most if not all of your clinical training to go and you could change your mind several times before that's finished. And you're 2-3 years away from applying anyway.

As for GPA, nutrition is not one of the most competitive residencies. Less that 3.0 will be a handicap but not impossible. Of course there's a difference between 2.9 and 1.9, even though both are <3.0 :)

Residency is not school. It's a training program and a job (although a very poorly paid job). You will get a better feel for internship/residency once you've been in the hospital working with house officers. I would also encourage you to talk to some residents, including nutrition. Just because someone loves nutrition doesn't necessarily mean they will love being a nutritionist.

As for your relationship, that will be something only you and your boyfriend can decide. But again, it's too early to know for sure. But nothing wrong with starting to think about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

William Thomas

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for responding! I definitely won't be making a serious decision anytime soon, but I really appreciate your variety of insights on my questions!