Should I major in Psychology even if I want to go to Optometry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peace0001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will soon be entering my first year of college and I am quite confused about what I should major in. My over all goal is to become an Optometrist. Most students in undergraduate school do their bachelors in biology related subjects. But I REALLY want to do my bachelors in Psychology.

Would you recommend me to continue to stick with psychology or should I change my major? And if I were to major in Psychology, would that hurt my chances of getting into an Optometry school?

Members don't see this ad.

It does NOT matter what you major in as long as you prioritize yourself and complete ALL the Optometry School Pre-Reqs. Because you are majoring in a non-science, you should really focus on doing a lot of pre-optometry extracurriculars early on to show the schools that although you are not a Bio/Chem major, you very much so want to pursue Optometry. Shadow, research, volunteer, etc...It helps you love the profession even more.

Good luck.:luck:

It does NOT matter what you major in as long as you prioritize yourself and complete ALL the Optometry School Pre-Reqs. Because you are majoring in a non-science, you should really focus on doing a lot of pre-optometry extracurriculars early on to show the schools that although you are not a Bio/Chem major, you very much so want to pursue Optometry. Shadow, research, volunteer, etc...It helps you love the profession even more.

Good luck.:luck:

i think you should major in psych!! 2 of my friends (they're twins) both majored in psych and graduated a year early from undergrad, and used the extra year off to take all the prereqs at a cc, so they could get better grades! now they're applying!! go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will soon be entering my first year of college and I am quite confused about what I should major in. My over all goal is to become an Optometrist. Most students in undergraduate school do their bachelors in biology related subjects. But I REALLY want to do my bachelors in Psychology.

Would you recommend me to continue to stick with psychology or should I change my major? And if I were to major in Psychology, would that hurt my chances of getting into an Optometry school?

Actually majoring in something other than biology is what admissions people are looking for. Leads to diverse doctors, and shows that you can take ALL the prerequisites and still major in something that none of those classes apply to. Seriously if you majored in Cello or something it would probably be a huge asset in the admissions process, help you stand out, etc.

I would start looking at schools now though since some have much more prerequisites than others. Some might argue taking a bunch of advanced bio classes can make first year of opt school easier though, and classes like genetics and physiology are on the OAT and usually aren't prereqs.

So ya as stated earlier, major in whatever you want to study.

I majored in Psych at undergrad and loved it. Now I am an opto nerd in OD school! your degree does not hinder your chances, as long as you have the prereqs, extra curriculars...etc

Go for it i say!