Medical Should I incorporate family into my "why"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would attribute a fundamental part of my desire to pursue medicine to my father. He is also a physician, however, the reasoning for is mostly due to how I grew up in the midst of his training as an MD all the way to where he is now. He immigrated here with practically nothing from a low poverty household, and I was born during this portion of his life. I grew up and moved cities and schools as he went from MD to residency to fellowship...etc. My relationship with my father in this regard has shaped a lot of who I am today, as well as my values.

I was wondering if things like this are generally off-limits to talk about (both in the personal statement or in interviews). Obviously there is more to the story than what I shed light on above. However, if admissions officers have a predisposition to view this sort of 'reason to pursue medicine' as shallow or immature, then I would just shy away from it completely. I have certainly grown and developed various new reasons to justify my desire to pursue medicine, but nothing was as impactful as him.

Thank you
Sounds fines as you've written here

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.