Should I graduate early, or add on a minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairlynearsighted

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this website, and to the idea of going into optometry. I have the opportunity to graduate with a bachelor's in biology a year early, thus possibly starting my journey through optometry school sooner. I still have 3 prerequisite classes left to take, but I would only have one more year after this semester (if I take 18 hours both semesters next year), which worries me about having enough time to take (and get a good score) on the OAT. I'm worried that if I take it without having the last three prerequisite classes, I will not do well on it; however, I am also worried that I wouldn't have enough time to study and take the OAT so that by Fall 2019 I could start optometry school.
Basically, I am unsure as to whether I should take the leap and graduate early, or tack on a minor that could be helpful in school and as an optometrist. If the latter, which minors would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

^ Good point, plus you can spend the summer studying for the OAT. I would not recommend studying for it during either of your full course load semesters. Also a minor won't be that helpful in my opinion; I was not asked about my minor in any of my interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think having a whole summer to fully prepare for the OAT would be super helpful :) it helped me at least (370)

I'm pretty new to this website, and to the idea of going into optometry. I have the opportunity to graduate with a bachelor's in biology a year early, thus possibly starting my journey through optometry school sooner. I still have 3 prerequisite classes left to take, but I would only have one more year after this semester (if I take 18 hours both semesters next year), which worries me about having enough time to take (and get a good score) on the OAT. I'm worried that if I take it without having the last three prerequisite classes, I will not do well on it; however, I am also worried that I wouldn't have enough time to study and take the OAT so that by Fall 2019 I could start optometry school.
Basically, I am unsure as to whether I should take the leap and graduate early, or tack on a minor that could be helpful in school and as an optometrist. If the latter, which minors would you suggest?
Graduate early. Minor won’t make a difference really on your application; that time can be spent studying OAT

If you want to put all your eggs in the Optometry basket, graduate early and study hard for that OAT. If you want to have one last easy semester to enjoy undergrad and diversify your education, get that minor!