Should I go to this interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurritoKiller

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After waiting 7 months, yesterday I got an interview invite at albany medical college. I'm not sure if I want to go, as im already in at WVU, and I believe WVU is better for my career aspirations. I want to do academic medicine. I know albany has a rich history of research (two Nobel laureates) but their NIH funding is about the same as WVU (WVU has $10 million, albany has $6 million). However, WVU is a large institution with a lot more resources. Cost is a non-factor, as I am out of state at WVU. I believe albany medical college is standalone or has some affiliations with local hospitals? So which would be better for a career in academic medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be the same. Neither seems more academic than the other.

Go to the interview. If you are accepted, your final cost of attendance might be comparable or lower. It's nice to have options. It'll also give you some perspective.

Why not go? It can't hurt. I interviewed at WVU and I thought the program was pretty cool, didn't blow me away. Albany may have a better reputation? Or I might be making things up

Members don't see this ad :)
After waiting 7 months, yesterday I got an interview invite at albany medical college. I'm not sure if I want to go, as im already in at WVU, and I believe WVU is better for my career aspirations. I want to do academic medicine. I know albany has a rich history of research (two Nobel laureates) but their NIH funding is about the same as WVU (WVU has $10 million, albany has $6 million). However, WVU is a large institution with a lot more resources. Cost is a non-factor, as I am out of state at WVU. I believe albany medical college is standalone or has some affiliations with local hospitals? So which would be better for a career in academic medicine?
I've interviewed at both and first to address the finances aspect, Albany has a total estimated cost of above 100k a year which is significantly higher than WVU's for OOSers. I really don't imagine there being anything about Albany that would win you over compared to your WVU acceptance, unless you feel that Albany's location is for whatever reason more desirable or you like the people there a lot more (WVU is a lot of Midwesterners, Albany is about 50% Californians and the rest are from all over.) You have already looked at some of the numbers on paper and see that WVU better matches your goals, so obviously Albany wont win you over in that regard.

So I would say unless it's fairly convenient/ cheap for you to go and check out, it would likely be a waste of your time to go. I would personally pick WVU over Albany in a heartbeat. (FYI when I was there, someone asked the med students that were answering questions "why did you pick Albany" and virtually all of them answered with "this is the only place I got into.")

Personally, I've gone to 2 interviews at schools I likely won't pick over my current acceptance to Rosalind Franklin, but one was in Florida in January (and I used it as a chance to visit family I have there) and the other was in driving distance so I figured why not. Let me know if you have any other questions about my perceptions after interviewing at both places.

I've interviewed at both and first to address the finances aspect, Albany has a total estimated cost of above 100k a year which is significantly higher than WVU's for OOSers. I really don't imagine there being anything about Albany that would win you over compared to your WVU acceptance, unless you feel that Albany's location is for whatever reason more desirable or you like the people there a lot more (WVU is a lot of Midwesterners, Albany is about 50% Californians and the rest are from all over.) You have already looked at some of the numbers on paper and see that WVU better matches your goals, so obviously Albany wont win you over in that regard.

So I would say unless it's fairly convenient/ cheap for you to go and check out, it would likely be a waste of your time to go. I would personally pick WVU over Albany in a heartbeat. (FYI when I was there, someone asked the med students that were answering questions "why did you pick Albany" and virtually all of them answered with "this is the only place I got into.")

Personally, I've gone to 2 interviews at schools I likely won't pick over my current acceptance to Rosalind Franklin, but one was in Florida in January (and I used it as a chance to visit family I have there) and the other was in driving distance so I figured why not. Let me know if you have any other questions about my perceptions after interviewing at both places.
Thanks for your insight. How were the facilities at albany? The hospital at WVU seemed pretty nice and new (especially with the new tower), but the medical education building seemed pretty outdated. I'm also confused about the cost, as albany is 57k in tuition and WVU is 54k for OOS? Am I missing something else for total cost of attendance being significantly more at albany?

I think it would be the same. Neither seems more academic than the other.

Go to the interview. If you are accepted, your final cost of attendance might be comparable or lower. It's nice to have options. It'll also give you some perspective.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Wouldn't be bad to have choices

Thanks for your insight. How were the facilities at albany? The hospital at WVU seemed pretty nice and new (especially with the new tower), but the medical education building seemed pretty outdated. I'm also confused about the cost, as albany is 57k in tuition and WVU is 54k for OOS? Am I missing something else for total cost of attendance being significantly more at albany?
According to their respective websites total cost of attendance for Albany is 75,500 and for WVU (OOS) is 80,000.

Did you get the cost of attendance for Albany from your interview day or online? What I found online initially was misleading because the COA for the 2 yr PA program is the first result when you google COA Albany medical college and it is 118,000. After some searching I found a finanicial PDF that states the MD program COA as close to 75,500.

Did you get the cost of attendance for Albany from your interview day or online? What I found online initially was misleading because the COA for the 2 yr PA program is the first result when you google COA Albany medical college and it is 118,000. After some searching I found a finanicial PDF that states the MD program COA as close to 75,500.
I think you're right. I don't know why I was under the impression that it was over 100k ECA for Albany. The MSAR says its more like 80.

The facilities at Albany aren't bad, but aren't as nice and new as WVU's either. Also, you should pay more attention to estimated cost of attendance, not just tuition, however I'm learning I was way wrong about Albany being over 100k, IDK where I got that from. I was about to withdraw from them too!:smack::rofl:. To reiterate, IMO there isn't anything about Albany that I think would wow you to pick it over your acceptance to WVU, I would only go if it were convenient if I were you.