Should I get my license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsupial

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, finished my internship in June, and I am waiting on my CA1 which starts in July (scrambled). I'm considering getting my license early to try and make money. Trouble is, I figured out that getting my license now, as opposed to when I'm in training again, costs a net $800 more, because they don't give you a break for poverty unless you're an actual resident. Can I count on finding enough high-paying part-time work to justify this?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, finished my internship in June, and I am waiting on my CA1 which starts in July (scrambled). I'm considering getting my license early to try and make money. Trouble is, I figured out that getting my license now, as opposed to when I'm in training again, costs a net $800 more, because they don't give you a break for poverty unless you're an actual resident. Can I count on finding enough high-paying part-time work to justify this?

Depends on where you are, but I'd venture to say you could easily find something.

I'd absolutely get your license, DEA #, and state controlled substance license.

You can make 800 bucks in one moonlighting shift.

Plus working in the ER (or walk in clinic or whatever) will make you a better doctor.

Good luck.

There are a couple of reasons to get your license as soon as possible. First, as posted before you can drop into some moonlighting. Second, you will need to show you have passed Step 3 to register for the ABA Board exam (by Dec 15th of your CA-3 year), and you will not be able to get your scores until you show ABA that you have a valid state license.

Third, and not to be negative, but should something happen during residency (malpractice, DUI, etc.), it is easier to maintain a license than to be successful in applying for one with a marked record.

Also, save your receipts because some locums companies will pay you back for your license expenses after a certain number of shifts.

congrats on choosing anesthesia by the way!

Should I get my license?

yes, ASAP.