Should I get a MPH?? Helpp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ritzandcheese

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to medical school and didn't get in. I am reapplying this year, but in the meantime I was told by someone very involved in the med school to get an mph, the issue is the program is 2 years so I can pile as much as I can in one year but I would end up finishing it while in medical school. Now, someone on admissions for the med school really took a liking to me and has been helping me so I will definitely get admitted for the next class, but this person says I shouldn't get an mph. What's the difficulty level I'll be facing as far as trying to finish an mph while in medical school? What are the pros and cons of getting the mph versus not career wise? I am so so so lost and I just need some opinions and guidance. I can see the benefits of not getting it and getting it.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read/been told is that a MPH won't affect the admission process that much. If you were to get a masters in something like Medical Science or Masters that has a very heavy science load, that could play a role if you excelled in it, but having a MPH won't really do much unless you as an individual want to use that degree for your future career. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've read and been told by my schools advising committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
only having:

1) accomplishment of earning an MPH
and
2) having experience/evidence of public health interest or work in some aspect of MPH
and
3) having a theme in primary and/or second application that would connect your interest in public health towards your path to becoming a physician

Would really have, in my view, have a major impact on admissions
Yes, an MPH has independent value.
I know from personal experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on the particular shortcoming in your applications your time would be much better spend doing a post bacc, and SMP, or working on your ECs during the next year to improve your chances.
However an MPH is a fine choice if you want it for a plan B if medical school doesn’t pan out.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, an MPH has independent value.
I know from personal experience.
what about value as far as a career as a physician. Will having the extra degree in addition to the MD really make that much of a difference career wise?

what about value as far as a career as a physician. Will having the extra degree in addition to the MD really make that much of a difference career wise?

No. Unless you absolutely want to go into Occupational Health.

Heed the wise advice that's already been given.

Do not do that.

No. Unless you absolutely want to go into Occupational Health.

Heed the wise advice that's already been given.

There are many other uses for the MPH besides occupational health. Many physicians do the MPH to gain skills in population health research, management, or public policy and advocacy. However, I do believe that the timing is important and doing the MPH during or after medical school is more valuable than doing it before starting the MD.

Reactions: 7 users
There are many other uses for the MPH besides occupational health. Many physicians do the MPH to gain skills in population health research, management, or public policy and advocacy. However, I do believe that the timing is important and doing the MPH during or after medical school is more valuable than doing it before starting the MD.

Absolutely true. I was more focused on the "career-wise" aspect of OP's followup. Not having an MPH doesn't preclude OP from doing the other things you mentioned (obviously it would help OP do them better should OP choose to do so), but it would preclude OP from Occupational Health (at least that's what I was told by an Occ Health doc).

So I applied to medical school and didn't get in. I am reapplying this year, but in the meantime I was told by someone very involved in the med school to get an mph, the issue is the program is 2 years so I can pile as much as I can in one year but I would end up finishing it while in medical school. Now, someone on admissions for the med school really took a liking to me and has been helping me so I will definitely get admitted for the next class, but this person says I shouldn't get an mph. What's the difficulty level I'll be facing as far as trying to finish an mph while in medical school? What are the pros and cons of getting the mph versus not career wise? I am so so so lost and I just need some opinions and guidance. I can see the benefits of not getting it and getting it.

Step 1: assessment.

Why didn't you get in this cycle?

Step 1: assessment.

Why didn't you get in this cycle?
Mainly my junior year GPA. Really crazy tragedy happened and I ended up getting all C's one quarter and was advised by someone not to address it in my personal statement, huge mistake. But I am currently taking some classes at my local university to get more classes. Unfortunately I couldn't find a post bac in my area. But I am really wondering mainly if getting an MPH will make a difference career wise and getting into competitive residencies. I know what was wrong with my app and I'm working on it so I'm not really worried about that, but I am wondering if the time and money for the MPH will be worth it in the long run not so much for admissions.

Mainly my junior year GPA. Really crazy tragedy happened and I ended up getting all C's one quarter and was advised by someone not to address it in my personal statement, huge mistake. But I am currently taking some classes at my local university to get more classes. Unfortunately I couldn't find a post bac in my area. But I am really wondering mainly if getting an MPH will make a difference career wise and getting into competitive residencies. I know what was wrong with my app and I'm working on it so I'm not really worried about that, but I am wondering if the time and money for the MPH will be worth it in the long run not so much for admissions.

An MPH is not going to help you with admissions. Long ago it was a novel way to spruce up an application, but those days have passed.

The MPH will give you a useful skillset that you may use in medical school and beyond and it may provide you with opportunties for research and community service but it will not prove that you have the academic horsepower to do well in medical school.

That semester of C's that was not explained raised unanswered questions. Explaining the situation may help but you also need to show that you have the resilience and composure to do well even under tough circumstances.

Having the MPH will not help you get a competitive residency. A good Step score and doing something with the skills acquired in the MPH (research, community service leadership, etc) will help and the MPH can be a stepping stone in that direction.

Reactions: 2 users
My opinion is that getting a few publications/abstracts/posters in public health journals is infinitely more impressive than receiving an MPH. I have classmates who went to top programs for MPH (i.e. Yale) but because they wanted to, not to make their app more competitive. They were already extremely competitive to being with and while the MPH may help construct a theme around your app more, I don't think it goes much further than that.

Just putting this out there, but....you do know that there are 1 year MPH programs right? Why attend a 2 year one, if you can attain the same degree in half the time?

My opinion is that getting a few publications/abstracts/posters in public health journals is infinitely more impressive than receiving an MPH. I have classmates who went to top programs for MPH (i.e. Yale) but because they wanted to, not to make their app more competitive.

Totally agree with the sentiment (though as an aside that doesn't really matter for your well-taken point, but Yale is a solid but not really a "top" MPH program).

Just putting this out there, but....you do know that there are 1 year MPH programs right? Why attend a 2 year one, if you can attain the same degree in half the time?

If you just want the letters, maybe you could do this. However, like the above poster (and others in the thread) noted, if you're hoping to gain a skillset/mindset that can be applied to solving population health issues, a shortcut isn't really the most helpful route.

To OP, long story short, yea an MPH probably isn't worth it if you only want it to seem impressive. I mean it won't hurt, but do it because you feel the curriculum will enhance your ability to do specific types of research, lead health promotion projects, etc, or it probably isn't worth doing.

Last edited: