Should I get a masters before applying?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I already have a BA and will begin some post-bacc work next spring, but i was just wondering what the general consensus was on how med schools look at masters degrees. Through my current job, I have developed a sincere interest in Bioethics and have been thinking about pursuing the masters degree concurrently with post bacc work (i only need 2 classes). so i guess my question is how does it look to med schools? and will it downplay my sincerity for medicine if I had to delay my application one more year? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Chrissy said:
Hello all,
I already have a BA and will begin some post-bacc work next spring, but i was just wondering what the general consensus was on how med schools look at masters degrees. Through my current job, I have developed a sincere interest in Bioethics and have been thinking about pursuing the masters degree concurrently with post bacc work (i only need 2 classes). so i guess my question is how does it look to med schools? and will it downplay my sincerity for medicine if I had to delay my application one more year? Thanks so much!

Why do you want/need a master's degree again? Simply because you have an interest in bioethics? Use the time more wisely, study for the MCAT.
:luck:

haha good question. I guss that's my question really. If i'm applying to med school I clearly have no practical need to have a masters, but is sincere intellectual interest a good enough reason? I know it's hard to say as just a premed but i could definitely see myself involved in policy and ethics long after I get an MD. Is it ok to just be interested in something and want to learn more? I've also heard from some people it looks favorable and can be a large part of the interview. thoughts?

thanks for your opinion i appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chrissy said:
haha good question. I guss that's my question really. If i'm applying to med school I clearly have no practical need to have a masters, but is sincere intellectual interest a good enough reason? I know it's hard to say as just a premed but i could definitely see myself involved in policy and ethics long after I get an MD. Is it ok to just be interested in something and want to learn more? I've also heard from some people it looks favorable and can be a large part of the interview. thoughts?

thanks for your opinion i appreciate it!

I just finished a 3 year master's degree in biomedical science, as at the time I started I had an interest in working in industry. Now I'm enrolled in a formal 2 yr. post-bacc I would have started 3 years ago. I would not advise putting off an application year just to start a master's degree if your goal is MD.

Though you may have a genuine interest in medical ethics/policy, I agree with Sundarban1...focus on getting A's in your postbach classes and on NAILING the MCAT. Getting a master's degree will not hurt your chances of getting into medical school, but from my experience it will not greatly help. Unless you have another reason for putting off medical school (research, travel, other exceptional experience), why not focus on getting admitted to the MD programs and look into doing a master's degree/honors project etc. in medical ethics/policy while you are in medical school.