Should I get a LOR from a class that I got a C?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_6523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in medicinal chemistry class. I contacted my professor and she was willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. Since I was taking biochemistry and medical chemistry concurrently (biochemistry was the prerequisite of the class), she told me that she can explain my grade in the letter that a C probably is not as bad a grade as it looks like at first glance. However, she was unable to write about how much I put in the course because she had no knowledge of my particular efforts.
Should I get a recommendation from her?

I can get a recommendation letter from my general chemistry professor instead. He wrote it when I applied to transfer university. It seems too old as I took his classes when I was a freshman, but I did very well in his classes, he can write about my academic ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I'd take what you can get. I contacted 2 of my professors whose classes I did great in and neither of them have gotten back to me.

I got a C in medicinal chemistry class. I contacted my professor and she was willing to write a letter of recommendation for me. Since I was taking biochemistry and medical chemistry concurrently (biochemistry was the prerequisite of the class), she told me that she can explain my grade in the letter that a C probably is not as bad a grade as it looks like at first glance. However, she was unable to write about how much I put in the course because she had no knowledge of my particular efforts.
Should I get a recommendation from her?

I can get a recommendation letter from my general chemistry professor instead. He wrote it when I applied to transfer university. It seems too old as I took his classes when I was a freshman, but I did very well in his classes, he can write about my academic ability.
That should be your last resort. It might be okay if she knows you well and writes a great letter regardless of the grade, but in this case it seems like she doesn't know you well. A mediocre letter will make you look really bad, coupled with the C.

Get it from the chem professor.

Definitely not! You got a C in the class... the whole letter will be pretty much your teacher justifying your C. That's not what a recommendation letter is.

Reactions: 1 users