MD & DO Should I expect to get interview invites? cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.48, MCAT 514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spenrob

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

3rd cycle reapplicant with stats:

3.63 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA, 3.88 nsGPA (no real trend, but not upward trend)
2nd MCAT (2019): 514 total, CPBS 127, CARS 128, BBFL 128, PSBB 131
1st MCAT (2017): 509 total, CPBS 128, CARS 128, BBFL 126, PSBB 127

Research: 3.5 years in one lab with one publication
Clinical Volunteering: approx 125 hours in ER
Other clinical experience: approx 2700 hours as medical scribe in ER, now chief scribe
Non-clinical volunteering: minimal, some volunteering with cancer research fundraising club and recently started volunteering with Crisis Textline
Shadowing: only 15 hours (PCP, radiology, general surgeon)
Leadership: club secretary, chief scribe
Other: volunteer teaching assistant in undergraduate cadaver lab

I'm feeling more confident with my improved MCAT score. So far I have applied to 11 schools (6 MD and 5 DO). I've received and completed secondaries from all schools, with one rejection (UMKC OOS) and 2 upcoming interviews (KCU DO and Kansas MD). The other schools I have applied to are: Creighton, Oklahoma, Drexel, and Medical College of Wisconsin, Oklahoma State (DO), Des Moines (DO), Rocky Vista (DO), and Marian (DO). Should I be expecting more interview invitations?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s hard to say really. But I have to ask, why after two failed cycles, you haven’t increased your shadowing and nonclinical volunteering? It’s seems to be such an easy fix to holes in your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

3rd cycle reapplicant with stats:

3.63 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA, 3.88 nsGPA (no real trend, but not upward trend)
2nd MCAT (2019): 514 total, CPBS 127, CARS 128, BBFL 128, PSBB 131
1st MCAT (2017): 509 total, CPBS 128, CARS 128, BBFL 126, PSBB 127

Research: 3.5 years in one lab with one publication
Clinical Volunteering: approx 125 hours in ER
Other clinical experience: approx 2700 hours as medical scribe in ER, now chief scribe
Non-clinical volunteering: minimal, some volunteering with cancer research fundraising club and recently started volunteering with Crisis Textline
Shadowing: only 15 hours (PCP, radiology, general surgeon)
Leadership: club secretary, chief scribe
Other: volunteer teaching assistant in undergraduate cadaver lab

I'm feeling more confident with my improved MCATscore. So far I have applied to 11 schools (6 MD and 5 DO). I've received and completed secondaries from all schools, with one rejection (UMKC OOS) and 2 upcoming interviews (KCU DO and Kansas MD). The other schools I have applied to are: Creighton, Oklahoma, Drexel, and Medical College of Wisconsin, Oklahoma State (DO), Des Moines (DO), Rocky Vista (DO), and Marian (DO). Should I be expecting more interview invitations?
Congrats on the improved MCAT! I will reiterate @candbgirl 's point. I think increasing your non-clinical volunteering and shadowing especially primary care would have helped you when people look over your application to see what have you have changed. I can't say whether you will or will not get interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
If you need to reapply, I would also recommend applying to more schools. Depending on your most recent grades (given lack of an upward trend, especially if they were worse), you may also benefit by taking some upper division courses to alleviate any concerns regarding your academic abilities. Agree with getting more volunteering and shadowing in

Reactions: 1 users