Should I even bother? Low GPA- Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vora08

Reaction score
Hey,

So I am entering my last year and aim to apply to optometry schools in the upcoming cycle. However, my stats are incredibly low and so I was wondering whether I should even bother to apply or not..

Overall GPA: ~2.7
sGPA: ~2.6
Experience: currently shadowing 2 optometrists, emergency volunteer at a local hospital, President at the Pre-Med club at university, executive member for Pre-Optometry club, and volunteering with other organizations.

I am writing my OAT August end, and aim to get around a 340-350! Please provide some honest feedback

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think about retaking the courses with the low grades if they are required pre-recs esp if you score lower on the OAT. I think some schools have GPA requirements for admissions so would check before you apply to each school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to struggle to pass in your first semester if you get in.
Have you considered a post-bac or SMP before applying?
Just because of the student’s low GPA, that does not mean that person will struggle! In undergrad, most schools require students to take useless classes that doesn’t interest them. Such as Bio majors having to take plant classes or animal behavior, etc. Such classes can cause a decrease in GPA!

And her low GPA doesn’t mean she’ll struggle in Optometry school. At this point, the student would finally be in a program where she’s interested and eager to learn about the eye. Therefore, she can change her study habits and succeed!

Quit bringing down others and uplift them!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey,

So I am entering my last year and aim to apply to optometry schools in the upcoming cycle. However, my stats are incredibly low and so I was wondering whether I should even bother to apply or not..

Experience: currently shadowing 2 optometrists, emergency volunteer at a local hospital, President at the Pre-Med club at university, executive member for Pre-Optometry club, and volunteering with other organizations.

I am writing my OAT August end, and aim to get around a 340-350! Please provide some honest feedback

Thank you.
Whatever you put your mind to, you can achieve it! Don’t listen to negative advice! Study hard and do well on your OAT! You will get into a program. On the ‘Class of 2023’ forum, a few students have GPAs similar to yours and was accepted into multiple schools! You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Just because of the student’s low GPA, that does not mean that person will struggle! In undergrad, most schools require students to take useless classes that doesn’t interest them. Such as Bio majors having to take plant classes or animal behavior, etc. Such classes can cause a decrease in GPA!

And her low GPA doesn’t mean she’ll struggle in Optometry school. At this point, the student would finally be in a program where she’s interested and eager to learn about the eye. Therefore, she can change her study habits and succeed!

The curriculum is intense. Bio majors take hard courses such as ochem for a reason. The plant and animal behaviours classes would boost their GPA if they are easier.

Not sure what you are getting at. OP needs a realistic evaluation for the next step after getting into optometry school.

You are taking 22 credit hours per semester, all heavy sciences classes with lab. You can have all the passion in the world, if there is no discipline or fixing of previous academic issues, passion alone will not get you through heavy exams and an intense volume of information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
The curriculum is intense. Bio majors take hard courses such as ochem for a reason. The plant and animal behaviours classes would boost their GPA if they are easier.

Not sure what you are getting at. OP needs a realistic evaluation for the next step after getting into optometry school.

You are taking 22 credit hours per semester, all heavy sciences classes with lab. You can have all the passion in the world, if there is no discipline or fixing of previous academic issues, passion alone will not get you through heavy exams and an intense volume of information.
I see what you're saying. But to suggest that someone won't succeed because of their low undergrad GPA isn't really fair. You don't know the circumstances that led to that GPA. There are plenty of people who didn't do well in undergrad who became amazing Dentists, doctors, optometrists and so on.
Your past failures DO NOT dictate your ability to succeed in the future.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I see what you're saying. But to suggest that someone won't succeed because of their low undergrad GPA isn't really fair. You don't know the circumstances that led to that GPA. There are plenty of people who didn't do well in undergrad who became amazing Dentists, doctors, optometrists and so on.
Your past failures DO NOT dictate your ability to succeed in the future.

I did not say they would not succeed, I said they would struggle to pass.
I also recommended options for them to be academically prepared upon reapplication.
If they had extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low GPA, they should prove to the program they can handle the academic load by doing well in a post-bac or SMP. This would also set them up with the study skills and discipline necessary to succeed in optometry school.

The issue is not getting in, the issue is succeeding after you get in.
What would you suggest for someone with a 2.6 sGPA besides telling them they can do it? I am genuinely curious why a realistic break down is ruffling so many feathers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I did not say they would not succeed, I said they would struggle to pass.
I also recommended options for them to be academically prepared upon reapplication.
If they had extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low GPA, they should prove to the program they can handle the academic load by doing well in a post-bac or SMP. This would also set them up with the study skills and discipline necessary to succeed in optometry school.

The issue is not getting in, the issue is succeeding after you get in.
What would you suggest for someone with a 2.6 sGPA besides telling them they can do it? I am genuinely curious why a realistic break down is roughling so many feathers.

Hmm I'm not sure you can even make the case of struggling to pass- I graduated undergrad with about a 2.9. And I have almost a 3.75 at SCO as a third year (not saying it was easy but I clearly am doing better than just passing).

I definitely agree with being honest about the rigors of 22 credit hours in a post graduate program but with out knowing the extent of the past 4 years of his/her life I don't think you can accurately make that statement.

You're also right, you can't sugar coat this. I personally think it's best to look at both GPA and the OAT. If he/she is able to make up for their GPA with a great OAT, I think they'll more likely be able to be successful.

That being said to the OP- it's difficult to assess if you'll be a competitive candidate until you get your OAT. With your GPA you'll likely need to score in the 90th percentile to even be considered competitive, but hey it's possible, I did it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Typically,you need to have a solid one (GPA) or other,with OAT imo,being more indicative of OD school performance.

Wierdy makes valid points.Whether to enter OD school is a business decision and just like any stock you can’t be so in love with it that you hurt yourself financially holding on to its dream.

Know thyself,and understand that presently 1:10 of every passionate OD grad doesn’t pass national boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I am kinda on the same boat with gpa of 2.836 I’m just freaking out because I know I could be a great Optometrist... I still need to take my oat but I’m studying towards that. I am also enrolled in classes for fall. I’m hoping to lift my gpa but I’m not sure how much it will go up even if I get all A’s. I don’t want to give up... I’m going to apply this cycle but I was honestly hesitant because ofcourse fear of rejection creeps in.

I say go for it! if you say you will make a great optometrists, YOU WILL make a great optometrists. No hurt in trying and applying, you might surprise yourself.
Thank you

Hey,

Thank you.
Did you apply?

Hey,

Thank you.
Hello , did you get into a school? Can you PM me please?

I agree you need to be realistic about your ability to succeed after getting in, not just worry about getting in. Like other posters, I had a 2.997 cumulative GPA and graduated optometry school with 3.65, passing all boards on the first attempt.
My study habits changed drastically in optometry school and many stressful nights with little sleep were involved, but I think that was also dependent on my other priorities and of course the experience will vary by school.

So: it's not enough to get in, you have to know that the outcome will be different once you are in. Your ability to avoid malpractice will depend on it.

I agree you need to be realistic about your ability to succeed after getting in, not just worry about getting in. Like other posters, I had a 2.997 cumulative GPA and graduated optometry school with 3.65, passing all boards on the first attempt.
My study habits changed drastically in optometry school and many stressful nights with little sleep were involved, but I think that was also dependent on my other priorities and of course the experience will vary by school.

So: it's not enough to get in, you have to know that the outcome will be different once you are in. Your ability to avoid malpractice will depend on it.

Yaaaaaaaaassssss! Good for you!! I have a similar story minus boards since COVID delayed part 1

Yaaaaaaaaassssss! Good for you!! I have a similar story minus boards since COVID delayed part 1

Woohoo! Sorry to hear about boards! What a total bummer... It's hard to study for that as it is, I can't imagine having them delayed!

Status
Not open for further replies.