Should I even be a dentist/doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverEmpress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much having an identity crisis right now it's getting me really down. I'm going to try and make this straight and to the point. I'm going to be an incoming college freshman and for the past 2 years I have convinced myself to pursue dentistry (maybe medicine). I love biology and think the human body is fascinating, but honestly the only reason I would want to continue on this path is job security, flexibility, and the financial aspect. (Obviously I know about insurance, overhead, costs of education, etc. you will be poor for like the first five years, blah blah all of which I explained to my parents but say its worth the sacrifice) I don't even know if I can handle the stress and grind of dental (or med) school let alone do well enough in chem, physics, orgo, etc. or get a good score on the DAT (or MCAT). Is it even worth it?

P.S. I have thought of another career but my father quickly shut that down saying there was no job growth and I should do straight up compsci programming if I wanted to do something similar. I have literally no idea what I want to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty much having an identity crisis right now it's getting me really down. I'm going to try and make this straight and to the point. I'm going to be an incoming college freshman and for the past 2 years I have convinced myself to pursue dentistry (maybe medicine). I love biology and think the human body is fascinating, but honestly the only reason I would want to continue on this path is job security, flexibility, and the financial aspect. (Obviously I know about insurance, overhead, costs of education, etc. you will be poor for like the first five years, blah blah all of which I explained to my parents but say its worth the sacrifice) I don't even know if I can handle the stress and grind of dental (or med) school let alone do well enough in chem, physics, orgo, etc. or get a good score on the DAT (or MCAT). Is it even worth it?

P.S. I have thought of another career but my father quickly shut that down saying there was no job growth and I should do straight up compsci programming if I wanted to do something similar. I have literally no idea what I want to do.

It's worth it if you are 100% sure dentistry is for you. I wouldn't do anything you are pressured into because you will hate life even if you are successful. You're young and have a ton of time to find out who you are or what you want to become. If you like Bio then major in that and see how you do with the coursework. I know a few people that decided not to pursue medical/dental because they could not pass the sciences needed, or did not want to put in the work to pass with good grades. Who knows, you may discover a passion no had no idea existed. I would just continue to shadow the profession and others to see what interest you most. You may change your mind (or major) in the next few years.

You'll figure out throughout college what you want to do more.
Don't feel pressured by what your parents want you to do. It's your life and you'll be doing that every day.
I'd recommend working diligently because with good GPA and experiences you like doing you'll have opportunities many places

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow Dentists or Doctors to see what you like, if you think those classes are hard try getting a tutor or study with friends. Also look into going to a maybe smaller school. Smaller school = less competition, more interaction with professor and better understanding of the subject.

Shadow Dentists or Doctors to see what you like, if you think those classes are hard try getting a tutor or study with friends. Also look into going to a maybe smaller school. Smaller school = less competition, more interaction with professor and better understanding of the subject.

Totally agree. OP, I felt the same way last year. Without any shadowing experience or passion for dentistry, I chose the pre-dental track because my parents wanted me to go into health care and dentistry seemed like the most attracting to me. Still, there were times when I wanted to pursue a career I was passionate about (music). I enjoy biology/chemistry, but there were many moments of doubt and self-denial.

When I shadowed my first dentist this summer, that was when I really became interested in dentistry. I found meaning and purpose, and I was no longer studying to make my parents proud. Shadowing and talking to dentists will lead you closer to figuring out of dentistry is right for you.
Best of luck! You're going to be okay.

You have plenty of time to figure that out considering you're only a freshman. I'd suggest not only shadowing practices, but sitting down and talking to dental providers and getting their take on the industry. The healthcare industry is extremely dynamic and constantly changing. The notion that a dentist will make X amount of dollars per year isn't guaranteed like it was 15-20 years ago, and its not crazy to think that the dental insurance platform will evolve in the next 5-10 years to mirror the medical insurance system--an absolute mess. With increasing tuition costs as well, you should pursue dentistry because its truly something you're passionate about; if it is, all the pieces will fall into place and you'll live a happy life.

Same exact boat as you. Let's hope college will allow us to get a better understanding of ourselves and the professions.

Don't feel pressured by what your parents want you to do. It's your life and you'll be doing that every day.
Yeah except that many parents provide the life-line that is financial assistance. E.g mine have offered to pay-off the majority of my under-grad and at least some of the professional school debt if I pursue either medicine or dentistry.

Knowing that some of the burden is off my shoulders I look at dentistry with a lot more enthusiasm when I think about the income potential. TBH I would not put my fingers in mouths, destroy my health, and restrain screaming children if I was paid less than 100k after taxes and didn't have the possibility of working towards a higher income in private practice. It's just not worth it.

No offense to the dentists on these forums but are the majority really that enthusiastic when it comes to the line of work? Meaning would they do it over any other profession if it paid the same? And I mean just the raw dentistry without long-term patient relationships or private practice benefits.

What attracts me to dentistry is the ability to play a direct role in someone's life as health-care provider. I love educating people on their health and fantasize about the possibility using philanthropy and a direct involvement in the local community to make meaningful changes both in and out of dentistry. Kudos to the dentists who offer their services for free to the under-served communities.

This sounds like a personal problem.

I love biology and think the human body is fascinating, but honestly the only reason I would want to continue on this path is job security, flexibility, and the financial aspect.

Me too. That's why I went to dental school. I'm in the middle of midterms right now and wow it's a lot of work. I'll probably survive though.

I'm going to be an incoming college freshman and for the past 2 years I have convinced myself to pursue dentistry (maybe medicine).

Relax and enjoy your freshman year (don't forget to study though). You said you love biology, so take your prerequisites and try to get A's. I had like a 2.8 GPA after freshman year and hadn't volunteered, shadowed, or worked one hour.

Best things you can do are get involved with a pre-dental club, volunteer with a free clinic, and ask around to shadow some dentists. You'll get a much clearer picture after that. Once I did those things my sophomore year and got a job, I felt like I had a purpose and that dentistry was for me. Now I'm trying to tell apart worn premolars in dental anatomy and I question that decision (just kidding). If you can start all that right off the bat freshman year, you're in a good position. Search around SDN for some great advice on the pre-dental path and DAT. Best of luck.

OP,

There are lots of changes happening for you, and the uncertainty of the future can be scary.
High school is not as tough as college, which is not as tough as medical/dental school, which is not as tough as residency. But people do it.
If you're having a hard time with particular classes, find someone to help you. You'll find some material just seems to come super easy to some people, while others have to work really hard. It's all about resiliency.
In any field you are in, there will be aspects that you will not enjoy. Just get through it so you can focus on what you like and be happy. Work hard and enjoy college. Get good grades. Have experiences. Be interesting.

Good luck!