Should I email fellowship programs to ask for an update on my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM.MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not been offered an interview or been rejected by some of the programs I've applied to and I am very interested in. Should I contact them and ask for an update on my application? If yes, when should I do it - now or wait few more weeks? Would I come across as annoying or seeking special treatment? Thanks!
@gutonc @NotAProgDirector

Members don't see this ad.

I have not been offered an interview or been rejected by some of the programs I've applied to and I am very interested in. Should I contact them and ask for an update on my application? If yes, when should I do it - now or wait few more weeks? Would I come across as annoying or seeking special treatment? Thanks!
@gutonc @NotAProgDirector
You probably should have contacted them
about a month ago…most interviews are
almost done.
Is it a competitive fellowship?
Would go ahead and call the FC and touch base, but dont be surprised if they are done…maybe can get on a cancellation list?

Reactions: 1 user
Literally nothing to lose now. With interviews being virtual, it's extremely unlikely that you'll get an opening now. You can throw a few Hail Marys and email everyone, even those that rejected you, about your "special interest" in respective programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You probably should have contacted them
about a month ago…most interviews are
almost done.
Is it a competitive fellowship?
Would go ahead and call the FC and touch base, but dont be surprised if they are done…maybe can get on a cancellation list?
Moderately competitive.

Thank you both for responding. I will email some programs.

It is an age-old debate. Does it help? Does it not?
My opinions and experiences:
I personally don't think it really matters (for those of you that read this in the future). Some programs do look at them and send you an interview afterwards. Vast majority do not. To try and find the programs that do is not worth the effort.

I literally have received so much opposing, unsolicited advice on this topic by everybody and their grandma and everybody has a 2 cents.

The conclusion being I would not send blanket emails because is takes too much time and not a lot of return on investment. But if there are a couple that you super interested in attending, might be OK.