This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Professional_Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Thank you in advance for the responses! I graduated in May with my bachelors in biology and minor in chemistry. My overall GPA is a 2.9 with retakes calculated in (3.1 with retake grade replacement). I have two options to increase my chances of getting into dental school... do an anatomy master's program (which I am currently enrolled in) or simply take more science classes and not be confined to what I take each term. Even though I wouldn't be taking as many courses in the master's program, does it look better when applying to dental school? Or at this point, should my concern be to take as many classes as possible and get as many As as I can?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, there is no grade replacement so approach your situation with a 2.9. Next, even if you complete let's say 2 years of courses with nothing but A's you'll only realistically increase your gpa by .2 points (to a 3.1). Also, be aware that some schools will reject you automatically if you have a sub 3.0 GPA so it may be better for you to raise that GPA if a school you are interested in has that rule.

Outside of that, I'll wait for others to chime in on your master's vs. taking more courses question. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, there is no grade replacement so approach your situation with a 2.9. Next, even if you complete let's say 2 years of courses with nothing but A's you'll only realistically increase your gpa by .2 points (to a 3.1). Also, be aware that some schools will reject you automatically if you have a sub 3.0 GPA so it may be better for you to raise that GPA if a school you are interested in has that rule.

Outside of that, I'll wait for others to chime in on your master's vs. taking more courses question. Best of luck!

Just as I thought, unfortunately. Do you agree that my only option is to take more courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as I thought, unfortunately. Do you agree that my only option is to take more courses?

Yes, I think you are in the position where you need to take additional courses and have an upward trend. What is your DAT score? The reason I ask is that with a lower GPA, you will want to have a higher DAT score to offset it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I think you are in the position where you need to take additional courses and have an upward trend. What is your DAT score? The reason I ask is that with a lower GPA, you will want to have a higher DAT score to offset it.
I take it next friday, so we will see. Let's say I do take more classes... does it matter the level of science and math courses? Or can I just take 200 level classes?

Just take their recommended courses.

yea i don't think that would really look good if you already took all the upper level courses and move back down to take the 100 and 200 level courses.

Idk, I'm pretty sure ANYTHING that makes the GPA look good is great.. as long as it's a semi heavy workload. I agree that some upper level courses that most schools reccomend (physiology, anatomy, cell bio etc) look good... but besides that As will help. Get all A's now and mix in some easy science with hard science.. though you could probably pull off lower level if need be.

Reactions: 1 user
I would consider taking mostly 300-400 level courses.