Should I do post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1043217

Hi everyone, hope you're all safe and doing well!

I'm a junior at JHU with a GPA that will be (ideally) graduating in 2021 with around a 3.65 if my trend continues. That could have looked different if this semester wasn't universal pass/fail but now I lose a semester of grades. I was told to look into post-bacc programs and was wondering if anyone here had any advice for me. I've been involved in various extracurriculars with multiple leadership positions. I also have approximately 120 hrs of clinical experience volunteering (I only have like 16 hrs of shadowing but need to get on that) and I've been doing research since Freshman year. My GPA has been as follows (cumulative in parentheses):
  • F17: 3.45
  • S18: 3.52 (3.49)
  • F18: 3.27 (3.41)
  • S19: 3.42 (3.42)
  • F20: 3.91 (3.52)
My GPA jumped up a lot last semester because of less-demanding upper level courses and I expected that trend to continue the rest of this year as well as the next. I suffered my earlier years because I crammed all the harder classes and overloaded but that means next year will be a breeze. I think my main concern right now is GPA, what sort of grade-enhancement programs should I be looking at, if any? Also is it possible to do within 1 gap year or do I need 2. I'm still leaning towards MD programs over DO. Thank you so much, and I'm glad to join this community!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

That's a really helpful read thank you! And just to clarify, I was told that I must do post-bacc by an advisor but others told me I didn't need it so that's why I'm unsure.

Members don't see this ad :)
So much is dependent on your MCAT. Your GPA is not disqualifying with a really good MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
So much is dependent on your MCAT. Your GPA is not disqualifying with a really good MCAT.

In addition to this, one or two good semesters doesn't demonstrate the capability to handle medical school. Like Goro states in the reinvention post, focus on transcript repair rather than just GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
In addition to this, one or two good semesters doesn't demonstrate the capability to handle medical school. Like Goro states in the reinvention post, focus on transcript repair rather than just GPA.

Yeah there isn't much I can in terms of transcript repair other than post-bacc. I haven't gotten anything below a B- in any course so looks like my best option would be to do post-bacc to show that I can handle rigorous courses?

Yeah there isn't much I can in terms of transcript repair other than post-bacc. I haven't gotten anything below a B- in any course so looks like my best option would be to do post-bacc to show that I can handle rigorous courses?

Yes, take coursework that Goro had suggested in the reinvention post. If you have cadaveric anatomy offered at your institution, I'd definitely add that to your list of courses to pursue.

EDIT: I would have the MCAT at the top of your list as Rachapkis mentioned.

Yes, take coursework that Goro had suggested in the reinvention post. If you have cadaveric anatomy offered at your institution, I'd definitely add that to your list of courses to pursue.

EDIT: I would have the MCAT at the top of your list as Rachapkis mentioned.

Gotcha thank you so much for the advice! And yep definitely, gonna start studying soon for MCAT and plan to take it at the end of the summer.

Reactions: 1 user