Should I do anesthesiology research during my 3rd year if I'm interested in top anesthesiology programs? Or prioritize clerkships and STEP 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousMDStudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title sums it up. Medical student at T15 who has a fifth author pub in ortho and 5 projects in ortho that are frankly not panning out well. They've been written into manuscripts but are getting rejected my journals or are taking a while to publish.

I have a very jaded view of research. I came into medical school with so many ortho research opportunities offered to me which I took with the promise of publications. But so many of these projects have been tough to publish and I don't think will tbh.

I am now interested in anesthesiology but I'm in my 3rd year of medical school and am debating whether or not I should take on an anesthesiology research project during such a pivotal year of my life. I'm busy with clerkships and STEP 2 is in a few months. I want to spend any time I have outside of clerkships studying for shelves or STEP 2 or spending it with my partner, family, or friends. Not grinding away mindlessly at data collection for a research project that may or may not be presented/published.

But on the other side of it, some people are saying I should do a project to convey interest in the field and to try to present somewhere. I am so conflicted.

I feel I only have so much time. Should I try to invest some of it in research or should I focus my efforts on STEP 2 and clerkships? I don't know.

If possible I want to match at one of the top NY anesthesiology programs.

Members don't see this ad.

bruh you post something about gas and your chances every other day

chill, just work hard try your best, and odds are you'll be fine during the match

Reactions: 3 users
bruh you post something about gas and your chances every other day

chill, just work hard try your best, and odds are you'll be fine during the match
Before this, it was a slew of "chances at ortho" threads.

OP, you win the award for the most neurotic series of posts/threads in the "from T15 med school, chances at top xyz" category. Please don't take this the wrong way, but study/work more and do less of these posts. If you have free time, play video games, hang out with family/friends/loved-ones.

Please relax... trust me, future you will thank you.

FS

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before this, it was a slew of "chances at ortho" threads.

OP, you win the award for the most neurotic series of posts/threads in the "from T15 med school, chances at top xyz" category. Please don't take this the wrong way, but study/work more and do less of these posts. If you have free time, play video games, hang out with family/friends/loved-ones.

Please relax... trust me, future you will thank you.

FS

Top 10% couch potatoe
Long history of sleeping in
Able to fall asleep on planes trains and automobiles

What are my chances of getting a top sleep fellowship you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.