Should I do a Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavender201

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope you are all doing well. I could use some help and guidance at this time. I recently left medical school in my second year (Carribean School-SGU) just a quick background about me:
  • BA in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (3.2 GPA)
  • MS in Biomedical Science (3.0 GPA)
  • MCAT: 501 (multiple attempts)
  • Prior to starting medical school was wait-listed at two DO programs on the East Coast, and accepted to Temple's Podiatry program
  • Previous MA experience in OB/GYN, Published one paper in Undergrad with Microbiology bench work experience
  • Lots of leadership, community service, and shadowing experience
  • Began MD program at SGU in 2020 (Term 2 was Credit Remediated, Term 3 Failed the first time and repeated with a passing grade, Term 4 took an LOA for the first time and repeated 2 more times and Failed)
  • From August 2020-June 2022 I was Online, I moved to Grenada for Medical School in July 2022 and Withdrew from the MD program in July 2023
The biggest reason for me to leave medical school was the burn out, lack of professionalism and bullying from SGU, and rigor of the curriculum. I am still interested in Podiatry, since I get the opportunity for both clinical and surgical practice.

I wanted ask if I should complete a Post-Bacc program if I am still interested in applying to Podiatry programs and what my chances are if I apply in the 23-24 cycle? Thank You very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting into podiatry school is easy and you have the stats for that, so you should be fine. However, staying in and graduating is hard. Then you'll have to get a residency too. The only thing that will come up on your application is that you'll have to explain what happened (SGU, etc.) from the admissions committee. You'll probably get a seat from the bigger schools that will accept anyone with a pulse. So no, no need for a post-bacc.

My suggestion is to look into the podiatry attending forum and read about the job outlook, saturation, schools not being able to fill every seats, etc. And there's reasons why podiatry is not what it seems. Do not do podiatry as a backup as it can bring you misery down the road and lots of loans for little ROI. Do your own research on podiatry, shadow podiatrists is a must. Ask yourself do you like looking at feet every day, trimming toenails and calluses, do you enjoy wounds. The surgical aspect of podiatry is not what it seems or as it's advertised to be. You'll be doing amputations, treating pus bandwagon, diabetics, etc. Again, do your research, ask around before committing to podiatry. Don't act on impulse as you'll set yourself for more failures and regrets.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

I hope you are all doing well. I could use some help and guidance at this time. I recently left medical school in my second year (Carribean School-SGU) just a quick background about me:
  • BA in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (3.2 GPA)
  • MS in Biomedical Science (3.0 GPA)
  • MCAT: 501 (multiple attempts)
  • Prior to starting medical school was wait-listed at two DO programs on the East Coast, and accepted to Temple's Podiatry program
  • Previous MA experience in OB/GYN, Published one paper in Undergrad with Microbiology bench work experience
  • Lots of leadership, community service, and shadowing experience
  • Began MD program at SGU in 2020 (Term 2 was Credit Remediated, Term 3 Failed the first time and repeated with a passing grade, Term 4 took an LOA for the first time and repeated 2 more times and Failed)
  • From August 2020-June 2022 I was Online, I moved to Grenada for Medical School in July 2022 and Withdrew from the MD program in July 2023
The biggest reason for me to leave medical school was the burn out, lack of professionalism and bullying from SGU, and rigor of the curriculum. I am still interested in Podiatry, since I get the opportunity for both clinical and surgical practice.

I wanted ask if I should complete a Post-Bacc program if I am still interested in applying to Podiatry programs and what my chances are if I apply in the 23-24 cycle? Thank You very much!

Chances are OK with the stats as is. Shadow a few different DPMs in different settings. Make a decision based on your shadowing experiences. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, it looks like you're using podiatry as a backup. You started in 2020 and left in 2023 after remediated multiple times, ultimately withdrawing as a year 2 student (in 4 years of school). If you can afford it, go ahead, don't expect MD salary though. But know that podiatry is tough. We all study hard every day and face high stake medical licensing exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah my man, don’t do this field, I just got a 60k offer for a job. This ain’t it.

Reactions: 1 users
You will get in. Make sure you want to get in.

Almost anyone can get into podiatry school just like offshore medical school .

While there is some attrition in podiatry school it is nothing like offshore medical school. There are plenty of students that go in thinking they will be a top student in podiatry school though and end up barely or not even being in the top half of the class though. Your history does not necessarily indicate you would be in the top half of the class at an above average podiatry school (if there is such a thing).

What residency you get definitely matters and some have rank in class cutoffs, but the toughest part of this profession is the job market for sure.

You don't get the average salary or higher in this profession automatically and eventually higher just by putting in your time. The basement is low and ceiling is high as far as income potential, but it can be a real uphill battle to realize that potential. Many find themselves stuck living somewhere they don't want to making less than they thought. There is always a way out of those situations by opening a practice, but that is not a guarantee and requires some capital to start the office and live off of for several months if not longer. Make sure you realize you might end up being a small business owner. Sadly it really helps to have a high earning spouse or well off parents to pull off opening an office.

If you want a job that guarantees the ability to live almost anywhere at anytime, offers a good ROI, and not having to open/run a business think PA or if you can not get into a PA program maybe an RN to NP program. Many NP programs are supposed to be notoriously easy (like shockingly easy compared to what you have already been through), but they are still in demand and their license is actually better in many ways than that of a PA. PAs are usually more respected than NPs, but with the strong job market (unfortunately podiatry not included) and license aspect most NPs find jobs and do fine also.

Oh one more thing benefits are often worse for podiatry jobs and there are not nearly as many jobs with loan repayment options.....most jobs with the good benefits, salaries and potentially loan repayment options are competitive. You could find a job pretty easy as a RN, NP or PA with good benefits and loan repayment assistance/forgiveness.

Last edited:
At my pod school (and other schools), the classes/exams are with the medical students.

I say this because one of the factors you listed that led to your withdrawal is the rigor of medical school. I can’t speak to 3rd/4th year, but 1st/2nd year at my school was nearly identical to the rigor of medical school.

To answer your question, one of the schools will take take you as is.

I encourage you to listen to the attendings that have replied. Please do a quick google search for job listings in your area. There are none.

Reactions: 2 users