Should I delay Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a DO student and not doing super hot on Step practice exams, wondering if I should push Step 1 back to sometime in 3rd year?
Not shooting for any super competitive specialty, looking at (ER, Peds, sports med, PM&R, IM)

Is it better just to take it and just pass it , or push it back and potentially get a higher score later?

NBME 20 - 203
NBME 21 - 194
NBME 23 - 210

I have 2 weeks till my test date.

My COMLEX scores are decent at 550 average. Not sure how there is such a large score discrepancy...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ER is pretty competitive...

I had a friend who delayed until 3rd year. He took it after his 2nd rotation, which was in Psych. He got >230

It seems as though you will pass. Howver a 230 seems unlikely you are probably 10-15 points away from it though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you not taken UWSA1 or NBME 18? Those along with UWSA2 will determine if you should sit or not.

Have you not taken UWSA1 or NBME 18? Those along with UWSA2 will determine if you should sit or not.

no, becuase everyone was saying to test on the new blueprint exams due to the change. Are UWSA1 and NBME 18 more representative to the test?

no, becuase everyone was saying to test on the new blueprint exams due to the change. Are UWSA1 and NBME 18 more representative to the test?

I'm no expert on this, but apparently NBME 18 is the most predictive NBME exam out. It's the only old form the NBME decided to keep. Because the new ones just came out, no one knows if they're predictive. UWSA1 tends to overpredict your score, anywhere from 5-20 or so points. So ideally, I think you'd like to take UWSA1 a few weeks prior to your exam to see where you'll be in a few weeks. UWSA2 is the most predictive exam and should be reserved for a week prior to your actual test date.

Personally, I think if you're not interested in anything competitive (EM is competitive), and you believe you can pass the exam, take it. I think taking it in third year while having to do COMATs would be pretty brutal. But that's just me.

Just took UWSA1 and got a 230, i heard it overshoots by some points though. Hoping this is within 10 +/ - and i'll be OK with that score.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took UWSA1 and got a 230, i heard it overshoots by some points though. Hoping this is within 10 +/ - and i'll be OK with that score.
I would take an NBME just to be safe.
I feel like UWSA 1 has a broad standard error.

Reactions: 2 users
Update: just took UWSA 2 and got a 230.
Finished Uworld with a 61% average.

Reactions: 2 users