Should I continue my research job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yangster1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm currently waiting on the results of a couple interviews, and I'm wondering whether I should continue my basic research job or not. I recently published a review paper, and I feel like I may be close to publishing my own research paper, but there's actually quite a lot left to do (at least my PI thinks so). I've been in this lab for a while, and I'm losing interest/motivation to keep going. Honestly, I feel like I would have an easier time getting published if I did clinical research in a field I think I want to go into.

If I don't get in, especially, publications would help. I don't know if my research will be finished that quickly. If I did smaller projects in clinical research, I feel like I would have a higher chance of getting published.

Thoughts and advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there something else you’d like to do instead? If so, I’d do it. No point in being miserable at a job you don’t like. It’s your gap year and you should enjoy it while you can. You got a couple of interviews so there’s probably a good chance you’re gonna get in

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there something else you’d like to do instead? If so, I’d do it. No point in being miserable at a job you don’t like. It’s your gap year and you should enjoy it while you can. You got a couple of interviews so there’s probably a good chance you’re gonna get in
I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing short-term clinical projects at this point. Do you have any experience in that field?

It is not all about "getting published". You need to stay where you are for now and wait to see if you get in somewhere, bc you do not want to go somewhere new for only a couple of months.

If you do not get in, take new jobs that excite you and will give you the opportunity to learn more about the field of medicine and do research in areas that interest you and contribute to your narrative of who you are and where you want to go.

I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing short-term clinical projects at this point. Do you have any experience in that field?
No I don't unfortunately. I have done a lot of extensive protein projects however. In my opinion and from what I have heard, short-term clinical projects are much better since there's a lot of less tedious work and at times can just be retrospective studies in which you just need to analyze data.

Reactions: 1 users
No I don't unfortunately. I have done a lot of extensive protein projects however. In my opinion and from what I have heard, short-term clinical projects are much better since there's a lot of less tedious work and at times can just be retrospective studies in which you just need to analyze data.

Adcoms want to see that you put a significant amount of time and effort into your research experience and that you can actually talk about your project in a meaningful way. I don't think having a publication about a "short term clinical project" you did will help you much if it's obvious that you just analyzed some data and that's all you came say about the project. Even if the project you're working on in your lab now doesn't get published in time before you leave, I still think it would look better if you stayed in that lab, worked hard, got a great recommendation letter from your PI, and were able to write/talk about this research experience at length in your applications and interviews.

People in my med school class had previously been chefs, investment bankers, AmeriCorps members, an FBI agent, a golfer, and all sorts of other interesting things. There were also a ton of people who did research, and it's harder for them to stand out because it's so common. If you want to do something else, I say go for it! You can keep volunteering and strengthening your app through other things too.

The first time I applied to med school, I was doing bench research at a medical school in a good lab. I did it because I thought it would look good for med school apps. It was soul crushing and I stuck it out in the hopes I would get in off a waitlist. Didn't get in, quit my research job, joined AmeriCorps for two years in got into med school after AmeriCorps. I LOVED my time in AmeriCorps and it was the best decision for me to quit the research. If I could go back in time, would have quit my job much sooner and pursued something I'm interested in. If you can stick it out in research, it wont hurt you. If you get pubs it will help. If you change what you're doing and follow a passion, you may have some unique experiences to talk about when you apply.

Bench research sucks. Do clinical research if you can, if not find something else

At this point I see NO point in switching to clinical research. Seems highly unlikely you would get published. I think it is a better look to stick with your research for a bit longer (until May or you get into the school you want to go to). I don't think a publication is necessary for you at this point. I think the LOR from your PI and being able to put your research project on your app were more valuable. I would stick with it until May 1st then quit and do something you enjoy until med school starts