This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kms22737

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so Im about to be a junior in college and have always had the idea of going to medical school in the back of my mind but haven't always been too certain of it. Although, I have been completing some the class requirements outside of my major so far. My freshman year of college I was a biology major but then I switched to biochemical engineering my sophomore year. I really like the idea of engineering but truth is I really don't know what to expect farther down the line. My GPA is not great at a 3.35 and I'm scared that although I do like this major should I switch just because my GPA is so low and I'm not sure how difficult this major will get and if I can handle it. Also, I'm kind of scared to switch because I've already committed to a leadership position in an engineering club and I'm doing research this fall with a biochemical engineering professor (I feel like the only reason I got this chance is because I have this major and what will the professor say if I no longer am even in the major?). I'm starting to get more serious about going to medical school but I don't know if I've already ruined my chances because I wasn't serious enough and let my GPA get so low. Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

It'll be difficult. You caught it in time though. I say keep with the major and get straight As. Worst case scenario is you get some Cs and end up as a bio-chem engineer. That's better than most people's plan Bs here. Priorities man. Wanting to be a doctor is admirable and all, but you're going to want a decently comfortable life with an enjoyable career if you fail. And if you get a family, you want them to have a decently comfortable life. Don't throw away a good degree that you enjoy and are involved in for an easier time in the next two years.

That's my opinion at least. Maybe biochem engineering at your school gets insanely difficult for the next two years, in which case it might be prudent to dodge. You'll have to figure it out yourself mostly.

EDIT: You caught it in time if you do immaculate in the next two years. I doubt a b or two will be lethal (don't quote me), but you have to do pretty well. I think you could get to 3.7 maybe? past 3.6 for sure. You might have to take extra classes to do that if your degree is a bit skimpy on the junior/senior hours.