Should I change majors/ help on schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pshere

Reaction score
My advisor is advising me to change my Psychology major to Biology because my prereqs are getting in the way of my core classes. Since it's hard to fit everything in she thinks if I switch to Bio, I can get my prereqs done easier with it, but Im afraid to change to a Biology major because of the limited career options. If I don't do summer classes and winter then I think I would probably have to take an extra semester with 2-3 classes I THINK not sure though. Any suggestions on this? Also, I will list my prereq schedule down that I planned for the next few years, just to get suggestions. Is it a bad idea to take 2 sciences during 1 semester with a lab? My intention is to take 1 per semester.

Sophomore Year:

Fall:
Biology 2 w/ lab

Spring: Chemistry 1 w/lab
Calculus for Life Sciences

Junior Year:

Fall
: Chemistry 2 w/ lab
Physics w/lab

Spring: Organic Chemistry w/lab
Physics 2 w/lab

Senior Year:

Fall:
Organic Chemistry2 w/ lab

Spring: Biochem

*IF any of these prereqs are offered in the summer I might just take it. Also, this is just an idea I have for now. Im going into first semester of SOPHOMORE year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My advisor is advising me to change my Psychology major to Biology because my prereqs are getting in the way of my core classes. Since it's hard to fit everything in she thinks if I switch to Bio, I can get my prereqs done easier with it, but Im afraid to change to a Biology major because of the limited career options. If I don't do summer classes and winter then I think I would probably have to take an extra semester with 2-3 classes I THINK not sure though. Any suggestions on this? Also, I will list my prereq schedule down that I planned for the next few years, just to get suggestions. Is it a bad idea to take 2 sciences during 1 semester with a lab? My intention is to take 1 per semester.

Sophomore Year:

Fall:
Biology 2 w/ lab

Spring: Chemistry 1 w/lab
Calculus for Life Sciences

Junior Year:

Fall
: Chemistry 2 w/ lab
Physics w/lab

Spring: Organic Chemistry w/lab
Physics 2 w/lab

Senior Year:

Fall:
Organic Chemistry2 w/ lab

Spring: Biochem

*IF any of these prereqs are offered in the summer I might just take it. Also, this is just an idea I have for now. Im going into first semester of SOPHOMORE year.
Two (or more) hard core science classes, with labs, are definitely doable, but it depends on how strong a student you are. It certainly isn't easy.

Bottom line -- your advisor is giving you solid advice on how to fit everything in in 4 years, but there is no reason to listen if you want to major in psych. You also need to keep in mind that you will be asking for trouble if you try to take the M*C*A*T before finishing biochem, so, you are definitely looking at at least one gap year if you're going to stick to the schedule you posted. If you want to take the test in spring of your senior year, you should try to move things around so you could finish biochem before then, even if it means taking it before orgo 2, if your school allows that.

As long as you are okay with gap years (and there is no reason you shouldn't be -- 2/3 of all matriculants have at least one gap year), your plans look perfectly reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You don’t need to major in STEM to get into med school, as long as you take all the pre-req. In fact, a 4.0 GPA with an Econ major who took all the premed classes looks better than a 3.6 with Chemistry and Biology double major. Pursue what interests you.

Reactions: 1 users