should I call PCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
and ask if the letters were sent out?
I need to know something by friday, last day to drop classes, so if things dont work out well with PCOM I can drop out of my classes and prepare for Ross.

I dont want to drop genetics and then get a letter saying I was accepted upon the successfull completition of my course.

arg!

Members don't see this ad.

it can't hurt to call, they did tell you they would let you know by now. you'll probably just get the same secretary everyone else gets who will tell you to go check your mail. hope you hear something good soon.

hrmm

decisions will be mailed out next week is what I was told.

WHich puts me between a rock and a hard place.

I guess I have to buy my tickets for Ross and will get the F in genetics (assuming I have to drop). The last day to drop with a W is this friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait a second, clarify your situation...are you failing genetics? if not, i wouldnt drop it, it's just the type of thing to come back and haunt you later. when are you supposed to leave for ross if you decide to go? aren't you waiting for some other acceptances too? look at it this way, if you buy your tickets and get in somewhere here, then you can use the ticket to take a cool vacation this summer. keep me updated.

ok
My only acceptance thus far is from Ross. My reservations are set for April 29th. My genetics class final is the 5th of May I believe. Last class is the 2nd I think.

In addition to the poor timing of that class ending, is the fact that I would have to move from where I live now back to where my parents live (350 miles away) and then prepare to leave for dominica.

I am a postbacc student, graduated in 2000. I have taken all my premed prereqs as a post bacc student. I am only taking genetics right now to satisfy the requirement UHSCOM had for the class. I have not been rejected by UHSCOM but I am still in there qualified applicant pool and they will be reevaluating my application one last time. I am also TA'ing a biology class for non science majors and the professor doesn't mind if I have to skip out of the class early.

Issue is that the last to drop is this friday, I am going to call american airlines and ask if my reservations can be pushed back some.

I am not failing genetics, but I have put in a lot of work into this course and still not meeting my expectations. Its a probability/statistics course in a way and Im not very good with that stuff. Plus I always wanted to take this NeuroImmunolgy course this term instead.
Its all matter of timing. I am worried about a. losing an acceptance that calls upon the successfull completion of my courses right now. or b. working my ass off and stressing about selling stuff, moving cities, moving countries, etc and then jumping straight from college to med school. I haven't had time to really relax in over 2 years.

I would have no issue dropping the course right now, but I am worried that if I do get accepted from PCOM, LECOM or TUCOM that I might void my acceptance because I did not complete genetics.

I would have to take the risk with LECOM and TUCOM because I would not be hearing from them until late April anyways. My main issue is with PCOM. I am afraid to make any decisions until I hear from them.

Call the Dean at your school and beg for another week to be able to withdraw with a W in the course. If you explain the situation you just might get it.

Call Ross and ask them to defer you to the fall semester.

From what you have said, Ross is your back up plan and you don't even have an interview at UHS yet. If you get into PCOM, LECOM, or TUCOM will it matter if you get an interview at UHS, probably not right?? At this point in the interview cycle, I would say that you need to either cut UHS loose or pass on your acceptance to Ross for a year.

Ask Ross if they will defer for a year or until January. I know many of the carribean schools will let you start in January. Maybe then you could finish your application cycle for this year and finish your genetics class, get yourself a little bit of breathing room and who knows, even possibly apply for 2004 under early decision for some schools. If you get an acceptance in the 2004 cycle in October or November then you won't need to go to Ross anyway. Just tell them that you have too much to do to coordinate a move like that and you need more time. I would be really surprised if they didn't let you do this.

Maybe you could also just defer your admission until September.
I know that ross allows students to start in:
May
September
January
Just an idea. Starting early september wouldn't be much different than if you get into a DO school. Plus then you could finish your class, and have a little bit of time off.
Jenny