Should I bother applying now or wait until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barn_bum92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad in 2014, cGPA 3.25 sCPA 3.03. I was forced to take a year off from everything after I graduated from undergrad, but have spent the last 2 years working as a medical scribe. My highest old MCAT score was 25 (PS 7, VR 10, BS 8). I am scheduled to take the new test on August 3, but I took a Kaplan FL today and received 497 (123/125/125/124), despite having started full-time studying in May. I went through the application process last year without a single interview. I am enrolled in a one year postbacc program at the end of August, which does offer TPR MCAT prep, available through next summer. I started my applications, both MD and DO, but haven't submitted them yet. Should I even bother submitting this year? Or should I just wait until next year? I'm nervous to waste all of the application money (again) when I'm not even sure if I'll have the right MCAT score, but will a postbacc be enough to push me over the edge to acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not apply. Do not take the MCAT until your practice tests are at or higher than where you want to be. With your GPA, even after a postbacc your MCAT is going to need to be on the stronger side of the applicant pool for whichever you are applying to (DO/MD). It's best to wait until after your postbacc to take the MCAT, as it will refresh a lot of the material for you and you can take the time to take advantage of their MCAT prep. It's worth just eating the cost of the test to avoid having a second low MCAT score. You'll also want to wait until after your postbacc to apply so your schools can see those grades. Save your money. I know it's tough to wait a year but it'll be worth it!

Reactions: 1 users