Should I become a PA or NP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted830324

I am a current community college student and I thought about going to medical school but I really want to work in a family practice or be a hospitalist. I will transfer to a local four year university and major in Biology but I have though about just getting my ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then work on a BSN and then eventually a DNP. I have also thought about becoming an X Ray Tech and working on a bachelors and the pre reqs needed for a PA program. I really don’t have an interest in becoming a nurse. So I feel that becoming a PA is the route to go! I’ve heard that PA’s are more preferred in a hospital setting. Why? Which route would be the best? Would it be better to become a PA or an NP?

(Non - Trad Route To PA School)
• Get an Associates Of Applied Science In Radiologic Technology (become an X Ray Tech to gain the HCE hours needed for any PA program).

• Work on a Bachelors Of Science In Biology with all the necessary pre requisites needed for any PA program and take the GRE. (This would take about 9 years from start to finish). I would be working full time as an X Ray Tech while taking 2 classes per semester.

OR

(More Traditional Undergrad Route)

• Get my CNA and continue to work on my bachelors degree and just work part time as a CNA while earning a B.S. in Biology (since PA programs require that you have HCE hours).

OR

(Nursing Route)
• Switch my major and earn an ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then take the NCLEX and become a Nurse.

• Also Get my CNA because the nursing program at my community college requires you to get your CNA.

• Do an RN - BSN program

• Enter an NP program in the future after several years of experience as a nurse

Members don't see this ad.

I guess my question is what do you like about being a PA you don’t like about being a nurse? Being an FNP isn’t too different than being a PA at the hospital level unless you are planning to do a surgical specialty.

Nursing would be a faster method. 2 years AD RN degree then about 2 years to BSN (while working full time as an RN) then 2 years to FNP while working full time as a BSN. So around 6-7 years total with employment full time around 5 of those years.

PA route. 4 years at least undergrad or longer if you’re trying to work. Also health care hours either the X-ray tech route (not very helpful IMO) or some other route (EMT would be better) and then 2 years PA program full time no wor
I am a current community college student and I thought about going to medical school but I really want to work in a family practice or be a hospitalist. I will transfer to a local four year university and major in Biology but I have though about just getting my ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then work on a BSN and then eventually a DNP. I have also thought about becoming an X Ray Tech and working on a bachelors and the pre reqs needed for a PA program. I really don’t have an interest in becoming a nurse. So I feel that becoming a PA is the route to go! I’ve heard that PA’s are more preferred in a hospital setting. Why? Which route would be the best? Would it be better to become a PA or an NP?

(Non - Trad Route To PA School)
• Get an Associates Of Applied Science In Radiologic Technology (become an X Ray Tech to gain the HCE hours needed for any PA program).

• Work on a Bachelors Of Science In Biology with all the necessary pre requisites needed for any PA program and take the GRE. (This would take about 9 years from start to finish). I would be working full time as an X Ray Tech while taking 2 classes per semester.

OR

(More Traditional Undergrad Route)

• Get my CNA and continue to work on my bachelors degree and just work part time as a CNA while earning a B.S. in Biology (since PA programs require that you have HCE hours).

OR

(Nursing Route)
• Switch my major and earn an ADN (Associates Degree In Nursing) and then take the NCLEX and become a Nurse.

• Also Get my CNA because the nursing program at my community college requires you to get your CNA.

• Do an RN - BSN program

• Enter an NP program in the future after several years of experience as a nurse

I guess my question is what do you like about being a PA you don’t like about being a nurse? Being an FNP isn’t too different than being a PA at the hospital level unless you are planning to do a surgical specialty.

Nursing would be a faster method. 2 years AD RN degree then about 2 years to BSN (while working full time as an RN) then 2 years to FNP while working full time as a BSN. So around 6-7 years total with employment full time around 5 of those years.

PA route. 4 years at least undergrad or longer if you’re trying to work. Also health care hours either the X-ray tech route (not very helpful IMO) or some other route (EMT would be better) and then 2 years PA program full time no wor

Most ADN programs take 3 years to complete, unless you plan on paying 60,000 for an associate. Then another 3-4 for a DNP.

Most ADN programs take 3 years to complete, unless you plan on paying 60,000 for an associate. Then another 3-4 for a DNP.

Why do you want a DNP? An FNP program would give you the same practice scope and abilities.