Should I be doing a post-bacc based on my sGPA? Retake C's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplepremed4

Reaction score
I have 3 C's and 5 B's and 9 A's in my premed requirements which count for the BCPM GPA.

My overall GPA is 3.6+. My overall science GPA (including some of the science courses taken for my major in which I've received all As in) is around a 3.4+.

But given my BCPM pre-med requirements ... do I have to retake any classes? Should I do a post-bacc? Can a solid MCAT make up for this? I have an upward trend but how bad are the C's and B's?

Members don't see this ad.

Both of your GPAs are below average really. But a solid MCAT might solidify your stats . Don’t retake Cs. You could take a series of upper level science courses and if you get As you might convince ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. Depending on your MCAT you might be just fine forvDO without additional courses. Good luck on your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless your state schools require you to have C+ or better in prereqs (which I have never heard of, just a hypothetical), you shouldn’t retake those classes.

You should take the MCAT as a first step. You also need to decide if you are okay with applying DO. Depending on how you do on the MCAT and if you want to apply DO, apply your first cycle and see what happens plus/minus concurrentpost-bacc. Otherwise go straight to a post-bacc or SMP but I think that’s drastic without trying one cycle. If your MCAT comes back <510 and you are white or Asian, MD is out of the question even with post-bacc or SMP, so either improve your MCAT or go DO.

Reactions: 1 users