Should I Be Anxious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nelsonr29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm a chemistry major, Spanish minor. I just took my final exams for my freshman years. I finished my first semester with a 3.93 GPA, taking 15 credit hours. I managed to get As in biology lecture (3 credits), chemistry lab (1), and chemistry lecture (3) and one B (1) in biology lab. However, this semester, I definitely struggled juggling 18 credit hours. I did fine in all of my other subjects except biology. This semester, biology lecture was about ecology and taxonomy, which I soon realized are not my strengths. I definitely tried hard and studied intensely for this class. However, my test average was a B+ and I did horribly on my final (76.8%). I do not know, for sure, but I will most likely receive a B+ for Gen. Bio II. Also, I received a B+ in bio lab too this semester. With these scores, I calculated my GPA to be 3.85 for the semester and 3.89 for the entire year.

I tend to get anxious about schoolwork and grades. I know a 3.89 is a solid GPA for freshman year, but, honestly, I'm worried about my total GPA when I start applying to medical school. I'm taking organic chemistry and physics next year, and I'm nervous about getting Bs in those classes, which are really difficult. Ecology and zoology was mostly memorization about tiny details of random phyla. I know medical school is a ton of memorization (more), but I wonder if memorization will be easier when I'm more interested in what I'm studying. During office hours, my bio teacher told me that my struggle with these concepts are due to a lack of interest. She noted that I was great at understanding malaria and the diseases caused by different phyla. Am I just getting into a tizzy for no reason? If not, I would really appreciate some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You're completely fine. If you continue to get a 3.9 you'll be in great shape for med school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The average accepted student had a 3.7 GPA. Anything in the 3.85+ plus is very, very solid.