Should I Attend my Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I attend the UVM interview?

• Go to the Interview

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • Don't attend, someone else could use the spot

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I've been super fortunate to receive and acceptance at NYMC.

NYMC was one of my top choices from the get go, I love the location and facilities, the diverse patient base, and how close it is to my family.

The only reason I would consider UVM is if I would be given a significant scholarship. I'm a research buff and I hear they are highly ranked for research, but NYMC has a few good research programs as well. It isn't a deciding factor.

I don't want to waste interview resources when I know I probably wouldn't attend even if accepted. Someone without an acceptance could use the chance to get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your acceptance and chill out

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

NYMC was one of my top choices from the get go, I love the location and facilities, the diverse patient base, and how close it is to my family.

The only reason I would consider UVM is if I would be given a significant scholarship. I'm a research buff and I hear they are highly ranked for research, but NYMC has a few good research programs as well. It isn't a deciding factor.

I don't want to waste interview resources when I know I probably wouldn't attend even if accepted. Someone without an acceptance could use the chance to get in!
Only go if you know you'll attend UVM over NYMC

Go to the UVM interview; it's awesome and the food on interview day is great plus Burlington is such a damn cool/chill town to relax in for the day. The MMI was actually kind of fun and not at all stressful. The staff and students seem to actually care deeply for the students. I know that UVM also has been giving out major scholarships to people so that definitely is a possibility.

As for research, they are nearly top-of-the pack if you normalize the research by school size/endowment. They like to use the term "pound for pound" to describe the effect.

UVM is such a charmer and a diamond in the rough hidden gem that you may actually fall in love with it and change your mind about NYMC just from spending interview day there. Plus there's a good chance that you'll get to meet the ol' freak7 in the flesh, santa hat and all there next year!

Edit: Phrasing

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'll provide an alternative point and say that if you have means and time to attend then you should go. If you don't go then there is no chance of receiving a significant scholarship and you said that you are a research buff, so you never know! If there is any chance you might attend then I would interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I have attended most of the MD school interviews I was offered. My thoughts are by attending an interview there is only a risk of getting a scholarship vs not attending. The costs are limited and the likelihood of coming out ahead financially is limited as well ,but is non zero. Plus with an acceptance in your back pocket interviews are very low stress and you get to see another part of the country, another school, and some interesting corriculum along the way. I would attend.

Reactions: 2 users
not sure if you know the area but it's honestly amazing. i fully recommend you go. very reasonable chance you'd fall in love. SO much to do there and if you have a kid/are planning to/unreal place to raise a child or family. also a lot of wholesome fun. best craft beer in country if not world lol. i'm not biased ;)

Plus with an acceptance in your back pocket interviews are very low stress and you get to see another part of the country, another school, and some interesting corriculum along the way. I would attend.
AND EAT AWESOME FOOD. I cannot stress enough how amazing the food on interview day was.

Members don't see this ad :)
a big reason i'm interested in heading there ;)

Yeah today I went for a run on the beach in the sunshine and am going to a brewery after work. So...it's great... Come on over!

That being said...Enjoy your interview OP! I like Vermont...Maybe you will too.

All talk about craft beer aside, (though I would like to toss some beer from TN in the ring) go to the interview my friend. I was kind of in the same situation with my interview at Virginia Tech. After attending my interview, I was so glad. I loved the school and the location and it has become one of my top choices. Still waiting for my decision, but I am hopeful and really glad that I went because I have given myself potentially another option to find where I am supposed to be.

Reactions: 3 users
i think you should definitely go. you will have the opportunity to check out another med school and see for yourself whether or not this is the right place for you. getting an invite is great accomplishment and i wouldn't turn it down b/c you don't know what the aid package will look like.

I think you should go for scholarship chances. Their last interview for the season is tomorrow and it is almost 3pm EST right now. Even if you withdraw in the next hour, I doubt the admissions office will scramble to send out another II. So there's no need to feel guilty whether you attend or not ;)

not sure if you know the area but it's honestly amazing. i fully recommend you go. very reasonable chance you'd fall in love. SO much to do there and if you have a kid/are planning to/unreal place to raise a child or family. also a lot of wholesome fun. best craft beer in country if not world lol. i'm not biased ;)
Do you even Wisconsin, bro?

Hello all,

Go to the interview! It could be fun!

So if you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky. As someone told me lately"Everyone deserves a chance to fly"
Completely unrelated to the thread but WOOOO I LOVE WICKED!

Reactions: 1 users
@RogueBanana Consider where you want to live for the time you're in school. After all, you're going to be the one who has to live wherever you choose to go. Support system and overall fit are very important and sometimes overlooked. That being said, it can't hurt to go to an interview IF you would attend there over NYMC. Cost should factor in too, but maybe not as the end-all be-all. (I would choose a better location over less tuition any day, some people can stomach a less desirable place temporarily; I am not one of them.)

Either way, end of the day you'll be an MD and both will serve you well and provide ample opportunity.

Edit: also Congratulations! You're in a good position and you earned it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Having attended interviews at both, I say check out UVM. I def would prefer to go there over NYMC. Just my 2 cents!:angelic:

UVM has a topiary shaped like a rocking horse, so there's that...

Reactions: 3 users
Attending an interview with the mentality that you won't go there unless you are offered a scholarship is a waste to time. Scholarships are very limited and go to top students. If you are interviewing this late in the cycle there is a chance that the school has already interviewed the types of students they are willing to give a scholarship to. To top it off, you might not do so well in the interview if you go in with the mentality that you might not attend. A subconscious part of you will tell you to not care about your interview too much.

In no way shape or form am I trying to discourage you. I'm just giving your some points to think about. I'm positive you are very smart and very talented if you got into NYMC :)

To top it off, you might not do so well in the interview if you go in with the mentality that you might not attend. A subconscious part of you will tell you to not care about your interview too much.
Disagree. Went to another MMI interview with this mentality. Almost walked out of one of the stations because [NDA redaction]. The not-so-subconscious part of me that didn't care about the interview actually made me way more relaxed and conversational and I was accepted. Don't know if I'll get a scholarship or anything but, there's something to be said about relaxing during an MMI.

Disagree. Went to another MMI interview with this mentality. Almost walked out of one of the stations because [NDA redaction]. The not-so-subconscious part of me that didn't care about the interview actually made me way more relaxed and conversational and I was accepted. Don't know if I'll get a scholarship or anything but, there's something to be said about relaxing during an MMI.

Sure, that worked for you. For some others, it'll be destructive. That's why I told OP to think about these points to see if it applies to themselves.

Attending an interview with the mentality that you won't go there unless you are offered a scholarship is a waste to time. Scholarships are very limited and go to top students. If you are interviewing this late in the cycle there is a chance that the school has already interviewed the types of students they are willing to give a scholarship to. To top it off, you might not do so well in the interview if you go in with the mentality that you might not attend. A subconscious part of you will tell you to not care about your interview too much.

In no way shape or form am I trying to discourage you. I'm just giving your some points to think about. I'm positive you are very smart and very talented if you got into NYMC :)

Scholarships are not limited to top students... I have gotten scholarships and I am no where near a top student

I have turned down plentyof interviews at places because I already got accepted to a school that had most of the things that that I hold to a high standard when evaluating schools. NYMC seem to tick all those boxes for you and I think if u have to ask others if u should attend the interview or not means that you aren't really dying to go. Save yourself the time and energy and enjoy your acceptance

Last edited:
If it's not too expensive to travel there, I would go. You'll get to see a new place and meet some cool peeps. Had a similar conundrum a couple months ago...ended up attending my interview and getting accepted. Surprisingly loved the school and am now waiting on scholarships.

Side note: If you do go to the interview and do get accepted and do decide to go to UVM and I do too, would you pretty please be my workout buddy?

When is your scholarship offered? In the acceptance letter or after aid is applied for?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It doesn't hurt to go! While I have not visited the medical school itself, I can attest that Burlington is a beautiful place with great food, alcohol, and really nice people. If you like skiing/snowboarding, they have some great mountains (Sugarbush is great, although tough) and I've anecdotally heard that the school has a great vibe. My step dad's cousin is actually a nursing professor there and I know that she loves living and teaching there. If you have the funds, it's definitely worth it to check it out to see if you like it and to give you a shot at scholarship money.

You should absolutely positively most definitely go. You might think you know everything about a school now, but you really don't. When I was applying, I interviewed at 13 schools. I would have put Baylor at about 7 before I went on the interview. After I want, it was far and away my number one school.

The cost of you driving up, spending the night, and doing the interview is minimal versus the huge change in your life if you love it.

I heard he interviewed at GW and it was an excellent time.

What about thinking about it this way, have you put the deposit down and said yes yes yes to NYMC? If not, that means you're still interested in other opportunities out there right? If so, why aren't you exploring that opportunity?

Hey All,

I ended up going to the interview, the food was amazing (as you all predicted)
I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the school was. I'm glad I went, but I still have very neutral feelings about the school. I would definitely be happy if I were to attend UVM, but NYMC has a better patient base (and therefore better location) is closer to my family, and I love the facilities at NYMC.

UVM is a great school that makes great doctors, I'm just not sure if I can see myself going there. I can definitely see myself going to NYMC. Though UVM does have some great Snowboarding....

*Edit*
Thank you all for your replies!

Only go if you know you'll attend UVM over NYMC

Go to the UVM interview; it's awesome and the food on interview day is great plus Burlington is such a damn cool/chill town to relax in for the day. The MMI was actually kind of fun and not at all stressful. The staff and students seem to actually care deeply for the students. I know that UVM also has been giving out major scholarships to people so that definitely is a possibility.

As for research, they are nearly top-of-the pack if you normalize the research by school size/endowment. They like to use the term "pound for pound" to describe the effect.

UVM is such a charmer and a diamond in the rough hidden gem that you may actually fall in love with it and change your mind about NYMC just from spending interview day there. Plus there's a good chance that you'll get to meet the ol' freak7 in the flesh, santa hat and all there next year!

Edit: Phrasing

+1 for the food.

+1 for the caring staff.

I'm still favoring NYMC, but UVM did impress me.

+1 for the food.

+1 for the caring staff.

At least now if you go to NYMC you won't be wondering "what if" whenever you have a stressful time or something bc you'll have checked out the alternative!

At least now if you go to NYMC you won't be wondering "what if" whenever you have a stressful time or something bc you'll have checked out the alternative!

Thanks weeknd, I love your music.

+1 for the food.

+1 for the caring staff.

What food did they give us? I interviewed in the fall and they had warm apple cider.. It was phenomenal

What food did they give us? I interviewed in the fall and they had warm apple cider.. It was phenomenal

Glad you asked:

-Breakfast had a full buffet with pretty much anything you could imagine. I got breakfast with a friend I was staying with, so I didn't have room to indulge.
- Lunch was Korean Beef & Chicken. They had soft tortillas out so you could make tacos out of them. Cheese, carrots, salad, and much more. The beef was honestly one of the best things I've ever tasted.
- Dessert was assorted cookies: they had gluten free pumpkin choco-chip cookies, peanut butter chocolate brownies, macaroons, fudge brownies
- At the end of the interview day they had hot cider with maple donuts.

It was awe-inspiring TBH.

ALSO, to any ADCOM members that read this:
You should schedule your lunch AFTER interviews/MMI. I spoke with a lot of people and we all agree that eating after the interview is way better. You aren't all nervous so you can actually enjoy the food, and you don't have to worry about having food-breath in the interview. UVM was the first school to do this I went to. It was amazing.

Glad you asked:

-Breakfast had a full buffet with pretty much anything you could imagine. I got breakfast with a friend I was staying with, so I didn't have room to indulge.
- Lunch was Korean Beef & Chicken. They had soft tortillas out so you could make tacos out of them. Cheese, carrots, salad, and much more. The beef was honestly one of the best things I've ever tasted.
- Dessert was assorted cookies: they had gluten free pumpkin choco-chip cookies, peanut butter chocolate brownies, macaroons, fudge brownies
- At the end of the interview day they had hot cider with maple donuts.

It was awe-inspiring TBH.

ALSO, to any ADCOM members that read this:
You should schedule your lunch AFTER interviews/MMI. I spoke with a lot of people and we all agree that eating after the interview is way better. You aren't all nervous so you can actually enjoy the food, and you don't have to worry about having food-breath in the interview. UVM was the first school to do this I went to. It was amazing.

Omg Korean Beef & Chicken!?!? We just had sandwiches/Wraps. Weak!!!! The hot cider and maple donuts are bomb though

Omg Korean Beef & Chicken!?!? We just had sandwiches/Wraps. Weak!!!! The hot cider and maple donuts are bomb though
Yeah it was Korean BBQ, they had big trays of it out, I piled on the beef with some teriyaki sauce and cheese, some carrots and lettuce. Not gonna lie, may have moaned a little while eating. Other interviewees would have judged me if they weren't doing the same...

Yeah it was Korean BBQ, they had big trays of it out, I piled on the beef with some teriyaki sauce and cheese, some carrots and lettuce. Not gonna lie, may have moaned a little while eating. Other interviewees would have judged me if they weren't doing the same...

I would have got rejected post-lunch if they would have seen me devour that. So jealous

I would have got rejected post-lunch if they would have seen me devour that. So jealous
I'm 90% certain that the med students there to answer questions attended for the sole purpose of getting free hangover food from the school in exchange for saying nice things about UVM.

You must've interviewed early. During the "review" session they said that the only reason they even went all out on the food was because of feedback from earlier groups saying the food didn't set them up for a good day

You must've interviewed early. During the "review" session they said that the only reason they even went all out on the food was because of feedback from earlier groups saying the food didn't set them up for a good day

Yeah it was there first or second interview day. You guys are welcome for recommending a food upgrade ;)