Should I apply to Osteopathic School over optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskate16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why are you interested in Optometry? Seems totally apart from your interest in PM&R.

Reactions: 1 user
There are specialties that work 7 days on 7 days off, some are 8-5, etc. Plenty of time to play, travel, spend time with family etc.
Optometry seems like one hell of a boring job ( no offense). Plus I think you really answered your own question
"The thing I hate about optometry is how boring and repetitive the career seems. I am someone who is easily bored with doing the same thing over and over again and it seems like as an optometrist, 99% of the time you would never be able to do anything new. Whereas as a doctor, there is always room for advancement and change, as well as new exciting situations."

Members don't see this ad :)
There are specialties that work 7 days on 7 days off, some are 8-5, etc. Plenty of time to play, travel, spend time with family etc.
Optometry seems like one hell of a boring job ( no offense). Plus I think you really answered your own question
"The thing I hate about optometry is how boring and repetitive the career seems. I am someone who is easily bored with doing the same thing over and over again and it seems like as an optometrist, 99% of the time you would never be able to do anything new. Whereas as a doctor, there is always room for advancement and change, as well as

If you want to find a physician job with less hours, you can find it but will take a cut in your pay. My advice is don't opt out for the "easy" route because you want time to yourself. You will find time for yourself. But being stuck in a career for 30 years where you are bored... That does not sound like the smart choice. But that's just my opinion. Being busy with something you love>>>> than having a lot of free time with something you don't enjoy

Edit: Whoops meant to quote OP not you. My B. Message was meant for OP

I was in the exact same situation as you a year ago. Overall, I chose DO over OD because I'll still have time within the next 3-4 years to decide what I want to do (as far as a specialty goes) , as opposed to just committing to optometry.

To me, still having a few years to do rotations and to REALLY narrow down what I want to do with my life is worth it. You seem undecided as well... maybe experiencing medical school would be a good way to see the world a bit before you start a career.

At the end of the day, if you're still interested in eyes, ophthalmology is still an option for you.

Good thing they don't let optometrists perform weddings: "Do you, Luann, take JimBob to be your lawfully wedded husband, for better or worse? Better... or worse? Better... or worse?..."

Reactions: 5 users
"The thing I hate about optometry is how boring and repetitive the career seems. I am someone who is easily bored with doing the same thing over and over again and it seems like as an optometrist, 99% of the time you would never be able to do anything new. Whereas as a doctor, there is always room for advancement and change, as well as new exciting situations."

Thanks for the advice! I thought If you work 7 days on 7 days off, you only do that as an ER doctor? or are there other specialties that can have this schedule?

If you want to find a physician job with less hours, you can find it but will take a cut in your pay. My advice is don't opt out for the "easy" route because you want time to yourself. You will find time for yourself. But being stuck in a career for 30 years where you are bored... That does not sound like the smart choice. But that's just my opinion. Being busy with something you love>>>> than having a lot of free time with something you don't enjoy

Edit: Whoops meant to quote OP not you. My B. Message was meant for OP[/QUOTE]

To: D.O. OMM Boob
I definitely agree. Doing optometry would be on the "having a lot of free time with something you don't really enjoy" side of things for me. But I guess I would like to pursue something in osteopathic medicine with a balance - doing something I love, but also not overworked and stressed to the point where it negatively effects my life.

Edit: Whoops meant to quote OP not you. My B. Message was meant for OP

definitely agree. Doing optometry would be on the "having a lot of free time with something you don't really enjoy" side of things for me. But I guess I would like to pursue something in osteopathic medicine with a balance - doing something I love, but also not overworked and stressed to the point where it negatively effects my life.

I was in the exact same situation as you a year ago. Overall, I chose DO over OD because I'll still have time within the next 3-4 years to decide what I want to do (as far as a specialty goes) , as opposed to just committing to optometry.

To me, still having a few years to do rotations and to REALLY narrow down what I want to do with my life is worth it. You seem undecided as well... maybe experiencing medical school would be a good way to see the world a bit before you start a career.

At the end of the day, if you're still interested in eyes, ophthalmology is still an option for you.

Thanks for the advice! I know Ophthalmology is an option, but I have heard that Ophthalmology residencies statistically are extremely difficult to get into, not sure if this is entirely true.

Thanks for the advice! I thought If you work 7 days on 7 days off, you only do that as an ER doctor? or are there other specialties that can have this schedule?

Internal medicine docs who work as hospitalists can also do 7days on/7days off :)

What? PM&R has around a 40-50 hour work week... Plus if you set up shop by yourself, you could have more control of your schedule.

I have that schedule in urgent care , sort of (2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 7 off, repeat). I have every weekend off. Hospitalists have that schedule. ER generally is 10 days a month (same as me) Not all in a row and they generally rotation day and night schedules. Some ER is 24 hours at a time.