This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyiheartit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating whether or not I should apply to dental schools.
I had a low undergraduate GPA (2.8) and I'm currently in a master's program to help increase my GPA. Unfortunately, I've only brought up my GPA to a 3.0 in the master's program.

I took my DAT and scored an AA 21. In addition, I am heavily involved in dental research and have shadowed my general dentist for almost one year now. I have all the LORs needed.

My main concern in my GPA. I had hoped to increase my GPA in the master's program, but I only increased it a little from my undergraduate GPA. I'm feeling discouraged to apply to dental schools at the moment, and it has been my dream to be a dentist. Do you think admissions committee will look down upon the little improvement I've made from my undergraduate GPA to master's?

Please give me your honest opinion if I should apply to dental schools (it is my first time applying for 2018 cycle)
Also, I do have one more semester of the master's program, but dental schools will not be looking at that GPA because I'm applying this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

The Master's program was your second chance, a golden chance to show the schools that you have changed your study habits, mentality, etc. that may have caused a low undergrad GPA. Was there a particular reason you couldn't bring it up higher?

The Master's program was your second chance, a golden chance to show the schools that you have changed your study habits, mentality, etc. that may have caused a low undergrad GPA. Was there a particular reason you couldn't bring it up higher?
I chose some wrong courses that I didn't feel confident I would do well in, and that really brought my GPA down. Idk if this should be an excuse or not, but if I hadn't chosen 2 of the courses I took at the program, I would have had a higher GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean your overall GPA became 3.0 after the masters, or that your masters GPA is 3.0?

Do you mean your overall GPA became 3.0 after the masters, or that your masters GPA is 3.0?
My masters GPA is a 3.0
If I do well the next semester, I could raise my GPA but since I'm applying this cycle, my masters gpa would be 3.0

It sounds as if, other than your GPA, you already have your a lot of your application put together. You already have LORs, took the DAT, and have shadowing hours. I think that there is no harm in applying now, other than cost. Especially if you have very strong LORs and a personal statement. Just cast a broad net and expect a few rejections due to your GPA. Then you can gauge how you do with interviews, etc. to further strengthen your app in the future if need be.

My masters GPA is a 3.0
If I do well the next semester, I could raise my GPA but since I'm applying this cycle, my masters gpa would be 3.0
Your masters GPA is too low, and coupled with your low uGPA, the chances are not good. If you get a 4.0 next semester and do an academic update in winter that might make a difference, but they like to see a trend. You generally need two or more semesters of 3.5-4.0 to prove yourself.

This is not to say there is no hope, and you may well get in this semester. If you don't, take more upper div classes, ace them and try again.

Last edited:
I've been contemplating whether or not I should apply to dental schools.
I had a low undergraduate GPA (2.8) and I'm currently in a master's program to help increase my GPA. Unfortunately, I've only brought up my GPA to a 3.0 in the master's program.

I took my DAT and scored an AA 21. In addition, I am heavily involved in dental research and have shadowed my general dentist for almost one year now. I have all the LORs needed.

My main concern in my GPA. I had hoped to increase my GPA in the master's program, but I only increased it a little from my undergraduate GPA. I'm feeling discouraged to apply to dental schools at the moment, and it has been my dream to be a dentist. Do you think admissions committee will look down upon the little improvement I've made from my undergraduate GPA to master's?

Please give me your honest opinion if I should apply to dental schools (it is my first time applying for 2018 cycle)
Also, I do have one more semester of the master's program, but dental schools will not be looking at that GPA because I'm applying this cycle.
Apply. Apply early.
good luck!