Should i apply to competitive programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savage501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm developing some severe anxiety about applying for peds and was wondering if anyone can tell me how competitive my app might be and if I should be freaking out about getting in to good university based programs (i want to do a peds ICU fellowship)
Step 1: 228
Step 2: 223
top 1/3 of class, honored year three
i helped publish one paper in med school
I'm super active with community service and am the president of a couple of things.

What do u think??
I appreciate any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dude are you joking? you are nuts if you are even asking if you are competitive. You should be able to land an interview at the very least anywhere you apply. Have you not talked to the peds professor or something at your school and told him your grades? Im sure he'll tell you the same.

Good luck. you dont need it.

peace

Good luck savage, u should get a spot wherever u want, don worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
savage501 said:
Hi,
I'm developing some severe anxiety about applying for peds and was wondering if anyone can tell me how competitive my app might be and if I should be freaking out about getting in to good university based programs (i want to do a peds ICU fellowship)
Step 1: 228
Step 2: 223
top 1/3 of class, honored year three
i helped publish one paper in med school
I'm super active with community service and am the president of a couple of things.

What do u think??
I appreciate any input :)

I think that's key!

Fascia Lata said:
Good luck savage, u should get a spot wherever u want, don worry about it.

I would never say that you should "get a spot wherever you want." The top programs (eg, Boston, CHOP, Hopkins) are very competitive. However, you have done quite well and will very likely get an interview at most places you apply. At the top places, especially those in desirable geographic locations, you will have stiff competition. If you are interested in these programs, try to do an away rotation and work your tail off to impress them. This would greatly increase your chances of matching.

Also, keep in mind that many of the top 25 peds programs are located in less desirable areas and are easier to get into for this reason. Examples include Rainbow in Cleveland, Cincinatti Children's, Mayo in Rochester MN, Detroit, St. Louis Children's, Ann Arbor MI, etc. If you look at many of these programs, you will find peds residents from DO schools and Caribbean schools. Being a strong US grad applicant from an allopathic school will give you an advantage.

I think you have a good chance at a top 10 residency program...and PICU fellowship is NOT that competitive to boot...you'd definitely match into one, and probably a very "prestigious" one if you got decent recs in residency, almost regardless of where u went for residency. Good luck!

Andrew