This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthboi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am struggling to make a proper decision in regards to my career path. I will be a fourth year in the fall, and in order to apply this cycle I need to take my MCAT soon and apply (probably late, which will make my chances much slimmer). I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and up until I was medicated, I was receiving C/C+'s in my BCPMs. (Bio 1/2, Chem 2, Physics 1). The only classes I did decent in were Biochem and Physics 2 with B's because I was medicated at that point. My overall science GPA is about 3.0 but I hope to raise that to about 3.1 by the end of senior year. My overall GPA should be about 3.1-3.2 by the end of senior year also. I am involved on campus, volunteer and am currently doing research also. I haven't taken my MCAT yet though. I know my GPA is on the low end and I feel as though I was at an unfair disadvantage because I was not medicated as an underclassmen which affected my success in those classes but I'm not sure if medical schools would understand this. I do not want to take out more loans for a Master's Program or Post-Bac, but I know I need to do something about my GPA. I am banking on other factors like MCAT and EC's so my GPA can be overlooked but I am not sure anymore because the MCAT is difficult as is. I was even considering the Dental route since the requirements are less extreme compared to Med. Even though I rather be a physician, I am already in debt as an undergraduate and have to start thinking about a more logically fiscal route (reason I have held off on taking the MCAT) I know there are schools that say the minimum GPA to apply is a 3.0 but the chances of acceptance are very slim--should I take the chance and apply anyway or should I willingly take a year off--and if I take a year off what should I be doing to increase my chances of being a competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the time if your GPA is poor, your MCAT is not going to be magically amazing. I don't know what your EC's are, but if they are amazing, you have a better chance. You would want to apply only DO if you applied at all this upcoming cycle. I would suggest that you take year to study for the MCAT and also work on your GPA. This would give you a gap year where you could work and try to pay down some debts that you have. If your medication is helping, that should make things easier as well. Whatever you do is up to you, but you're not hopeless. There's no rush to apply especially if your stats aren't great. Educate yourself on the application process and what you need to get in and then apply next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

I am struggling to make a proper decision in regards to my career path. I will be a fourth year in the fall, and in order to apply this cycle I need to take my MCAT soon and apply (probably late, which will make my chances much slimmer). I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and up until I was medicated, I was receiving C/C+'s in my BCPMs. (Bio 1/2, Chem 2, Physics 1). The only classes I did decent in were Biochem and Physics 2 with B's because I was medicated at that point. My overall science GPA is about 3.0 but I hope to raise that to about 3.1 by the end of senior year. My overall GPA should be about 3.1-3.2 by the end of senior year also. I am involved on campus, volunteer and am currently doing research also. I haven't taken my MCAT yet though. I know my GPA is on the low end and I feel as though I was at an unfair disadvantage because I was not medicated as an underclassmen which affected my success in those classes but I'm not sure if medical schools would understand this. I do not want to take out more loans for a Master's Program or Post-Bac, but I know I need to do something about my GPA. I am banking on other factors like MCAT and EC's so my GPA can be overlooked but I am not sure anymore because the MCAT is difficult as is. I was even considering the Dental route since the requirements are less extreme compared to Med. Even though I rather be a physician, I am already in debt as an undergraduate and have to start thinking about a more logically fiscal route (reason I have held off on taking the MCAT) I know there are schools that say the minimum GPA to apply is a 3.0 but the chances of acceptance are very slim--should I take the chance and apply anyway or should I willingly take a year off--and if I take a year off what should I be doing to increase my chances of being a competitive applicant?

Are you open to the possibility of applying to PA programs?

If not, you could take a gap year to work/volunteer in a clinical setting (scribe, phlebotomist, etc) with direct patient contact (can chip away at some of the undergrad debt too!), get some strong LoRs, strengthen your ECs, study for the MCAT and get a good score, and get everything together for a nice solid application next year. Don't underestimate the power of the gap year to get everything together.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you open to the possibility of applying to PA programs?

If not, you could take a gap year to work/volunteer in a clinical setting (scribe, phlebotomist, etc) with direct patient contact (can chip away at some of the undergrad debt too!), get some strong LoRs, strengthen your ECs, study for the MCAT and get a good score, and get everything together for a nice solid application next year. Don't underestimate the power of the gap year to get everything together.

I was wondering if my GPA would suffice in this case? I don't want to do a postbac or Masters, and much rather scribe or volunteer and see patients instead but I feel as though medical schools will expect me to go down of doing an academic enhancer because of my low GPA

Most of the time if your GPA is poor, your MCAT is not going to be magically amazing. I don't know what your EC's are, but if they are amazing, you have a better chance. You would want to apply only DO if you applied at all this upcoming cycle. I would suggest that you take year to study for the MCAT and also work on your GPA. This would give you a gap year where you could work and try to pay down some debts that you have. If your medication is helping, that should make things easier as well. Whatever you do is up to you, but you're not hopeless. There's no rush to apply especially if your stats aren't great. Educate yourself on the application process and what you need to get in and then apply next year.

I'm not opposed to a gap year and am planning for one, but I was curious moreso in regards to what I should be doing in that gap year. I want to avoid a Master's and Postbacc because of money issues but I feel as though I need an academic enhancer of some sort.

Last edited:
Mean GPA of matriculating DO students: 3.53
Mean GPA of applicants: 3.45

Source:

Mean GPA of PA applicants: 3.29

Source:
Mean GPA of matriculating DO students: 3.53
Mean GPA of applicants: 3.45

Source:

Mean GPA of PA applicants: 3.29

Source:

Thank you for these stats! I'm definitely going to take them into consideration. However, I am set on either doing DO/MD and possibly DMD/DDS if I enjoy it (shadowing general dentists this summer to see if that could be a fit for me)

Thank you for these stats! I'm definitely going to take them into consideration. However, I am set on either doing DO/MD and possibly DMD/DDS if I enjoy it (shadowing general dentists this summer to see if that could be a fit for me)

No problem at all, best of luck to you! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I can't recommend applying now