should I apply or wait and do a masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaml20

VA doc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im set to send in my amcas (transcripts already sent to amcas) to the schools listed below, however I just spoke to someone who said I should wait. My options are :

1 .
- apply to med school now
- take mcats in aug
- get a job till i hopefully get in (cant do masters since if i get into med
school I'd have to quit the masters prog)
- hopefully start aug 2007

- do a 1 yr biology masters (maybe at hunter college) finish in jan 08
- 'rest' from jan 08 to aug 08
- take the april 07 mcat and possibly the following aug 07 if necessary
- apply to med school june 2007
- hopefully get in aug 08

my stats are ...
(gpa according to amcas)
fresh - 3.28
soph - 2.80
juni - 2.97
seni - 2.78
total - 2.97

mcats
(50th percentile in all subj both times)

transferred from syracuse u to cornell u at the end of freshman yr.
lost function of my thryoid sophmore yr erased a semester from my transcript
took 12 graduate level science credits jr yr
simultaniously went to another college (TC3) to become an EMT (jr yr)
made up soph yr classes (sr yr)

ec's
emergency room, same day surgery, ICU and radiology volunteer 75+ hrs
(soph - sr yrs)
volunteered at mohawk indian reservation (student team leader) (soph)
articular cartilage clinical case study (sr yr)
taught a high school class science and technology research in the state of
washington via internet (sr yr)
red cross webmaster (sr yr) not under my control anymore http://www.rso.cornell.edu/redcross/
went to india taught cpr heimlich and other proceedures, traveled through
northern india (year after i graduated)
taught 4th grade students communicative skills through a 4H program (sr yr)
am an EMT havent really emt'd anywhere though

albany
albert einstien
boston u
case western
loyola
med col ohio
mount sinai
ny medical
nyu
penn state
suny upstate
suny buffalo
suny downstate
stony brook
tufts
temple
priztker in chicago
u of conn
rochester
cornell

total 20 schools, I am a ny resident.

When I applied last yr I did not get one interview, I thought this was because of how late I applied (in aug, sent secondaries in aug - dec). So my thinking is that I should apply earlier and maybe get in, but my friend has made me think that my stats arent as great as I think, and that I should raise my GPA before I apply again. If I do, then ill have more time to study for the mcats instead of just these two months, but that doesnt mean I will. Should I apply now or do a masters and apply later? any input.. on schools to apply too, mcat, masters, or app would be appreciated, I am just trying to make a good decision on what to do... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA will kill you, I think without a masters or postbac where you SIGNIFICANTLY improve your grades, you will have very tough time, almost impossible trying to get into an MD school. If I were you, I wouldn't apply this cycle, get my gpa up and retake mcat.

Apply to med school in the Carribeans! You can definitely get into at least one school there with your stats. I have two friends who are in a Carribean med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Masters will not help those grades much. A one year Masters especially as you cannot possibly gain the additional research experiences of a typical MS program. I would do a post-bac program instead. The grades from a post-bac will be added into your undergrad average. Graduate grades are listed separately and may not be weighted as heavily as undergrad.
Best of luck!

I hate to add to the naysaying, but I don't see any point in applying this cycle.

First, the 50th percentile of MCAT scores may be around 25... but many people don't get in. The 50th percentile of students who get an acceptance is about 30 (think 29-30 for DO schools, 30-31 for MD schools).

Second, the GPA. At Cornell, you struggled academically. Any medical school, whether it is DO, MD, or Carribean, is going to be HARDER than the Cornell curriculum. There may have been other factors that kept you back at Cornell, but what I see, what adcoms will see, and what I hope you will think about is this:

You have never in your entire life been academically successful while following a difficult curriculum.

It sounds terrible, and I hate being mean, but there it is. How can you expect schools to interview you when you haven't shown them that you are capable of doing the course work? Without taking more classes and earning close to 4.0, and bringing your MCAT up closer to 30, you'll just end up being disappointed again.

kaml20 said:
Im set to send in my amcas (transcripts already sent to amcas) to the schools listed below, however I just spoke to someone who said I should wait. My options are :

1 .
- take mcats in aug

my stats are ...
(gpa according to amcas)
fresh - 3.28
soph - 2.80
juni - 2.97
seni - 2.78
total - 2.97

mcats

ec's
(soph - sr yrs)
red cross webmaster (sr yr) not under my control anymore http://www.rso.cornell.edu/redcross/

albany
albert einstien
boston u
case western
loyola
med col ohio
mount sinai
ny medical
nyu
penn state
suny upstate
suny buffalo
suny downstate
stony brook
tufts
temple
priztker in chicago
u of conn
rochester
cornell

When I applied last yr I did not get one interview, I thought this was because of how late I applied (in aug, sent secondaries in aug - dec). So my thinking is that I should apply earlier and maybe get in, but my friend has made me think that my stats arent as great as I think, and that I should raise my GPA before I apply again. If I do, then ill have more time to study for the mcats instead of just these two months, but that doesnt mean I will. Should I apply now or do a masters and apply later? any input.. on schools to apply too, mcat, masters, or app would be appreciated, I am just trying to make a good decision on what to do... thanks

Hi,

Do a post-bac program! Any courses you take as a post-bac will be counted as undergraduate.

Also I recommend taking a one of those programs that allow you to take med school courses at the medical school to show you can do the work without any problems. 1. Georgetown 2. RFUMS 3. USC in CA

I think you have shot still because I know of someone with a worse GPA who did the above and got into a state med school. Of course, he had MCAT scores in the mid-30s though. I would if I were you enroll in post-bac for awhile take some course to raise your GPA then do the other program at a medical school. You will be in the running then. I know this will take time but should be well worth it in the end.
dulce

kaml20 said:

1 .
- take mcats in aug

my stats are ...
(gpa according to amcas)
fresh - 3.28
soph - 2.80
juni - 2.97
seni - 2.78
total - 2.97

mcats

ec's
(soph - sr yrs)

albany
albert einstien
boston u
case western
loyola
med col ohio
mount sinai
ny medical
nyu
penn state
suny upstate
suny buffalo
suny downstate
stony brook
tufts
temple
priztker in chicago
u of conn
rochester
cornell

hi
i would really recommend trying a master's program or postbac, both would improve your portfolio. i've been told time and time again that the last 60 credits matter the most.
good luck!
you can do it!

In april I finished the post-bacc program at LECOM. My gpa sucks (2.43 Science) and I took the mcat twice so far 12 & 15. I know really bad. I ended with a 3.0 at LECOM post bacc, landed an interview. I was waitlisted and was just notified today that my application wouldn't be considered any further due to my repeat mcat score did not meet their minimum requirements of an 18. And yes it is possible to go to a post-bacc program do well academically and not get into the school. So I'm back at square one wondering what the hell to do at this point. I know I need to repeat the mcat, preferable this year ( thinking about the computerized test in Sept) Then do a Masters in public health program. Reapply in 2 years after the masters program. I'm 32 years old now and thinking I should be at my career already. LOL. So much for that. I would hate to sit around for a year and twiddle my thumbs. I feel like I should be in some kind of graduate program.

I have heard that the separate graduate program if higher is looked upon favorably. With a 2.43 unless I repeat all of my undergrad classes, there is no way to get that gpa up. I think my best bet is to do a graduate program.
good luck to you, in whatever pathway you decide to take.

t33sg1rl said:
Second, the GPA. At Cornell, you struggled academically. Any medical school, whether it is DO, MD, or Carribean, is going to be HARDER than the Cornell curriculum. There may have been other factors that kept you back at Cornell, but what I see, what adcoms will see, and what I hope you will think about is this:

You have never in your entire life been academically successful while following a difficult curriculum.

Wow, You do not know what classes I took, the academic schedule I endured nor any of the pertinant circumstances. Instead of taking alot of easy electives as many pre med's do, I decided to take many graduate level courses ranging from the 500 to 700 level, made up a yr of coursework while still participating in extracirricular activities, held many jobs, and also enrolled in a college 24 miles away, as well as many more things id rather not mention. Difficult is not the word for what I endured at Cornell. Yes, It was my fault for enrolling into these courses, I dont know what I was thinking... maybe that my intellectual interests are more important then my gpa? I dont know... its just a guess. However, maybe I am wrong, maybe under the same exact circumstances and courseload you would have excelled where I could not. I hope you realize that Cornell is one of the hardest undergraduate institutions in america.

I do not agree with you that I have not been capable of excelling in a difficult cirriculum thusfar in my academic career. Given the opportunity I know I would excell academically in a difficult cirriculum. life sometimes throws curveballs, I just have to wait for that fastball...

REGARDLESS ...

I am currently applying for 2 yr masters programs, I feel that in this way when I apply next year I will be able to show some change in my gpa and research areas while still actively continuing my education between the time of my application and acceptance. Im applying towards the 2 yr biochemistry and molecular biology program at the gsbms division of new york medical college as well as the interdisciplinary 2yr masters program at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo NY. Im not too worried about my future grades, since I know Cornell has prepared me for almost anything. If anyone would like to comment on my planned actions in regards to how well it may prepare me for medical school or the likelyhood of acceptance to a medical school I would greatly appreciate it.

A decision like this is of course hard, but once you justify it to yourself it becomes the most logical thing you could do. If your in this situation just ask yourself whether you would benefit from otherwise doing nothing else. Also dont forget to ask others to justify your planned course of action, no matter how harsh they might treat you or bluntly they might answer, they are probably just looking out for your best interest.

kaml20 said:
Wow, You do not know what classes I took, the academic schedule I endured nor any of the pertinant circumstances. Instead of taking alot of easy electives as many pre med's do, I decided to take many graduate level courses ranging from the 500 to 700 level, made up a yr of coursework while still participating in extracirricular activities, held many jobs, and also enrolled in a college 24 miles away, as well as many more things id rather not mention. Difficult is not the word for what I endured at Cornell. Yes, It was my fault for enrolling into these courses, I dont know what I was thinking... maybe that my intellectual interests are more important then my gpa? I dont know... its just a guess. However, maybe I am wrong, maybe under the same exact circumstances and courseload you would have excelled where I could not. I hope you realize that Cornell is one of the hardest undergraduate institutions in america.

I do not agree with you that I have not been capable of excelling in a difficult cirriculum thusfar in my academic career. Given the opportunity I know I would excell academically in a difficult cirriculum. life sometimes throws curveballs, I just have to wait for that fastball...

REGARDLESS ...

I am currently applying for 2 yr masters programs, I feel that in this way when I apply next year I will be able to show some change in my gpa and research areas while still actively continuing my education between the time of my application and acceptance. Im applying towards the 2 yr biochemistry and molecular biology program at the gsbms division of new york medical college as well as the interdisciplinary 2yr masters program at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo NY. Im not too worried about my future grades, since I know Cornell has prepared me for almost anything. If anyone would like to comment on my planned actions in regards to how well it may prepare me for medical school or the likelyhood of acceptance to a medical school I would greatly appreciate it.

A decision like this is of course hard, but once you justify it to yourself it becomes the most logical thing you could do. If your in this situation just ask yourself whether you would benefit from otherwise doing nothing else. Also dont forget to ask others to justify your planned course of action, no matter how harsh they might treat you or bluntly they might answer, they are probably just looking out for your best interest.

Hello,

I am glad you are taking a constructive plan of action. Also, one of the things I have learned in medical school is that one must have a thick, a very thick, skin because you never know what is lurking out there! I think you should just do as well as possible in your classes and the most important is to rock the MCAT!! You should overprepare for the MCAT and try to focus on verbal which is the bane for most people. The letter of recs are important too. Try to get ones from highly respected people that have worked extensively with you. I had one from the Dean of the chemistry dept. who went to the same school where I went to med school. I went to a state school and think that gpa and MCAT scores matter most to get an interview. For the interview, they will look at your personal statement and lors and how you present yourself. I would practice how to interview well. If you have anybody in your family who went to a US medical school this will be beneficial for you to apply to the same med school. My friend's uncle went to our med school and was on the waitlist but when her uncle called in to support her case it helped alot: she was accepted. She did very, very well in med school. I think it does not matter in my opinion how you got into med school-just get in somehow.

I think the most difficult part of becoming a doctor is getting into med school. Thus, don't give up. I know of someone who wanted to go to stanford med school only and applied 7 times and finally got in so don't give up until you reach your goal.

I give you a thumbs up for your plan!

dulce

kaml20 said:

If I was too blunt, I apologize, but based on your original post, your highest ever semester GPA is 3.28. Now, it's entirely possible that you are extremely capable, but I stand with my earlier post. You say you know you would excel academically in a difficult curriculum... that's nice, but the key word here is WOULD. If you want to get interviews, you're going to have to change that to "I HAVE excelled academically in a difficult curriculum". The 2 year programs you're looking into will allow you to put some nice numbers on the ol' AMCAS and prove to schools that any previous bad grades were due to extenuating circumstances.