DO Should I apply DO or go straight to post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cw2013

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was planning on applying this cycle and have worked on my application but I am starting to wonder if it is not worth spending the money on. I need some advice on if I am doomed for even DO or should I still give it a shot. Also which schools, if any I have a chance at.

edit: should add white male from California. Will be applying economically disadvantages as parents and I were on and off federal programs throughout highschool/college

Here's the bad:
Cum GPA: 3.35, AACOMAS sGPA: 3.07, 513 (126/129/129/129) MCAT.

Retook: calc C- -> C+ , Orgo 2 C- -> B-, Orgo 3 D -> C+

Also transferred from a community college to top 3 public school so my trend for sGPA is

Freshman: 4.00
Sophomore 3.3
Junior 2.3
Senior 3.1

Extracurricular:
Clinical Research Coordinator (paid): With experience in phase 2, 3 trials. Phase 3 trial became FDA Approved. Involved in everything from screening to follow up visits in longitudinal trial. Presented both the trials as posters in student research week and the schools department of medicine research week. Did this for three years so i'd say 1500 plus hours. Mentored and trained over 30 undergraduates in research process.

Undergraduate Club: Founded with the same department of medicine I did research in. Did outreach events in community, created physician talks in communities, and had a huge health event with over 1000 attendees to focus on community health and bring people with similar disorders together. Also created through this an avenue for undergraduates to become involved in clinical research and an official program on campus.

Case Study: Currently working on a case study for publication that will be submitted hopefully by the time I apply.

Tutored: Introductory chemistry to first years in community college.

Shadowing: Multiple MD in nephrology ~200 hours, and a DO nuerologist(who is writing me a letter) ~ 40 hours

Athletics: Varsity athlete in community college and team captain. Won an award for student athlete of the year at the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It seems like you have a lot of experience, and your MCAT is incredible for DO. The issue is your sGPA and trend over the last two years is downhill. They will look at it as you could not handle science classes at a bigger university most likely (since your first two years were at a community college). My advice would be to apply to a handful of DO schools close to you and see if you get lucky, and focus on doing a post-back or graduate program in the mean-time. Make sure you apply early as that will help you drastically!

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like you have a lot of experience, and your MCAT is incredible for DO. The issue is your sGPA and trend over the last two years is downhill. They will look at it as you could not handle science classes at a bigger university most likely (since your first two years were at a community college). My advice would be to apply to a handful of DO schools close to you and see if you get lucky, and focus on doing a post-back or graduate program in the mean-time. Make sure you apply early as that will help you drastically!

I definitely think my biggest problem was going to a big university and jumping head first in which is why I believe I could excel at a post-bacc knowing what I know now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to receive interviews at DO schools. I suggest all these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to receive interviews at DO schools. I suggest all these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
ATSU-SOMA
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
I can't suggest WCU based solely on their consistent high attrition rate (close to 20% for the first two years), low COMLEX first time passing rate, and low placement rate (92% this year). All that plus mandatory attendance/assignments for their students explains why they've been having trouble filling their class this year. Last I checked (today) the 2017-2018 application thread, they were still conducting interviews even though a new cycle already started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Thank you everyone for your input. I was still going to apply to Tuoro and Western as well because they are in California. Are there any schools I should stay away from besides Rowan and Oklahoma State due to in state bias?

Thank you everyone for your input. I was still going to apply to Tuoro and Western as well because they are in California. Are there any schools I should stay away from besides Rowan and Oklahoma State due to in state bias?
MSUCOM and OU-HCOM also have a strong instate bias.