Should I add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fritz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a totally stupid questions but here it is .
I applied to 22 schools, 2 rejections so far, 2 interviews. I'm 32Q nontradition 3.8 gpa. Should I add more schools at this point? I am a California resident too which is not that great.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Fritz-

My situation is almost exactly the same as yours. Cali resident, 32R, 3.7 GPA, non traditional. I applied to 26 schools, have completed 19 secondaries and am expecting at least one more, and so far have 3 pre-secondary rejections and 1 interview. I know some of us here in this chock-full-of-premeds state have applied to 40 or 50 schools, but my advice is to stick with the number you have now. That's what I plan to do. I'm thinking that my app may not be blowing the adcoms away at the outset (which I assume is the case with people who have 5+ interviews already), but that my stats are solid enough that I should be offered more interviews as we get further into the season, and I think it'll be the same for you. Plus applying to tons of schools requires such a lot of $$$. You don't get a very good return on investment.

Actually $$ was the reason why I did not add more schools.
But if you don't mind me asking, what schools did you apply that are non California, and are more likely to accept non traditional, and are more within our reach with the MCAT and gpa averages?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
fritz,
i think you are good as long as you chose your schools wisely. there is no need to apply to more than 20 or 25 schools unless they aren't suitable/within your reach.

I sent out nearly 40 secondaries, from CA, non trad, 3.1 35 with a masters, 10 interviews so far

Honestly some of the interviews i got were from schools i didnt expect to hear from (i applied slightly on a whim) so yes, do your homework when applying. I coudlve easily shaved 10 schools off my list if i was more careful in selecting.

Originally posted by Fritz
Actually $$ was the reason why I did not add more schools.
But if you don't mind me asking, what schools did you apply that are non California, and are more likely to accept non traditional, and are more within our reach with the MCAT and gpa averages?
Well, I picked my schools based on a few factors. I made sure I read through the websites of all the schools thoroughly beforehand, and I also considered interview feedback that people had posted on SDN to see if they got a bad vibe from the school or if the students really hated it there. This helped me eliminate a few. I also figured there was no point in applying to schools that would clearly be more interested in advancing their reputations as prestigious institutions than considering someone normal like me. I got the distinct impression that I should not apply to Columbia or U. Chicago, for example, unless I wanted to waste some money. Being sort of a tech geek (hey, I've worked in Silicon Valley for the past 4 years), I also created a big spreadsheet where I plugged in all the data I could get on how many people applied to each school and how many were accepted, including the all-important number of out of state students who matriculated. Just for kicks, I can tell you that statistics dictate that out-of-staters who apply have the best chance of getting into the following 20 schools:

South Alabama, Baylor, Cincinnati, Columbia, Creighton, Harvard, Indiana, Drexel, Minnesota, Nebraska, NYU, Ohio State, MC Ohio, UT Dallas, UT Galveston, UT Houston, UT San Antonio, Utah, Washington U, MC Wisconsin

Now, that's just what the numbers say... that doesn't mean I think I'd get into Harvard by any means.

From of that, plus whether or not I had the feeling the school was non-trad friendly based on their website and SDN, I chose my schools. I also thought about whether I could live in the area where the school is located for four years and whether my boyfriend would have a shot at finding a decent job if he moves with me (this eliminated most schools not in big cities).
Of those 20, I applied to 7, plus a bunch more. I know MC Wisconsin is non-trad friendly and I think people like us should be the type of applicants schools like Drexel, Temple, and Jefferson look for (i.e. not too high, not too low). I'd also put my money on some of the state schools in the midwest.

Don't know how well I've answered your original question, but that's my humble opinion.:cool: And man, is this waiting around to hear something hard!

I think those are good number of schools to apply to.

I applied to 14....NY resident, 3.98 GPA from public college in NYC, 32Q, nontraditional.....research and clinical experience.

Got 7 interviews...been dry for a while...just submitted secondary to UCSF (waste of money, my chances are not good).

You should only apply to schools where you can see yourself spending 4 years of your life.