Should I add more DO schools to my list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted917883

Hello! Read extensively on schools, but was wondering about sdn opinions on my DO school list. If possible I really want to narrow down my list, but do you think I should add more schools to increase my chances? I am not applying to any TMDSAS schools.

Stats:
3.6 cGPA & sGPA
507 MCAT (128/127/127/125)
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
200+ hours of non-clinical volunteering
50 hours of TA-ing
500+ hours of research
Upward GPA trend
TX Resident
ORM

About to submit my DO app for this cycle with these schools:

1. Chicago COM
2. NYIT
3. Nova Southeastern
4. Oklahoma State COM
5. PCOM
6. Touro - CA
7. Touro - NV
8. University of Incarnate Word (Texas)
9. Western University (CA)

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma state has a very strong in-state bias. More than 90% of their classes are filled with OK residents. I would consider adding KCU, DMU, RVU.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
NYIT also has heavy bias for the tristate area. I agree with adding KCU, RVU, and DMU. You might want to remove Nova (if you don't know why do a quick search on here) but that's up to you.

Why no Texas schools? The tuition alone should be reason enough....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Read extensively on schools, but was wondering about sdn opinions on my DO school list. If possible I really want to narrow down my list, but do you think I should add more schools to increase my chances? I am not applying to any TMDSAS schools.

Stats:
3.6 cGPA & sGPA
507 MCAT (128/127/127/125)
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
200+ hours of non-clinical volunteering
50 hours of TA-ing
500+ hours of research
Upward GPA trend
TX Resident
ORM

About to submit my DO app for this cycle with these schools:

1. Chicago COM
2. NYIT
3. Nova Southeastern
4. Oklahoma State COM
5. PCOM
6. Touro - CA
7. Touro - NV
8. University of Incarnate Word (Texas)
9. Western University (CA)
Concur with deleting OKCOM.

Suggest adding:
TCOM
AZCOM
KCU
maybe DMU
maybe KCOM

Why no Texas schools? The tuition alone should be reason enough....

Tuition will not be a problem because of HPSP. I'm just trying to focus on schools that will get me the best location and education possible. I have added KCU and DMU. Any other suggestions? Am I undershooting for any on my list?

That being said, I know that Nova is in decline but location near a military base and in urban is good enough for me to try.

Tuition will not be a problem because of HPSP. I'm just trying to focus on schools that will get me the best location and education possible. I have added KCU and DMU. Any other suggestions? Am I undershooting for any on my list?

That being said, I know that Nova is in decline but location near a military base and in urban is good enough for me to try.
KCU has a military medicine track you should look into if you haven’t already. DMU works with their HPSP students for 4th year Non-ADT rotations. I think they offer elective credit for them

RVU is incredibly military friendly and they also have a military medicine track. They have many students there in HPSP

Evidence:
1) RVU Named Top Ten Gold Award Recipient by Military Friendly® – Rocky Vista University
2) I also interviewed there and can confirm this