Should I acknowledge a "C" grade in the optional comments secondary essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramona Flowers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am working through secondaries right now and am curious about other perspectives on whether to acknowledge or not acknowledge C grades? I have already submitted one essay from a school that specifically asked to comment on any STEM grades below a "B" so I feel like I have a good response at the ready (which also acknowledges reasons for an inconsistent GPA trend, highest GPAs being sophomore and senior years, worst being junior year). I received C's in two courses, calculus I and a physio course that is not a pre-req.
Many secondaries offer the optional "any additional considerations/things you would like us to know" essays and I'm wondering what the general consensus is here? I've heard conflicting information on here before regarding this question. One in particular that gives me pause is reading from an SDN commenter that it's not necessary to re-highlight this blemish, and instead to use all space to highlight your GOOD attributes instead.
If it helps, cGPA is 3.58, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 514, great ECs and LORs.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.