should I accept unsubsidized stafford loan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLuvDAT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it doesn't make sense to pay 6.8% on unsubsidized loan but this loan makes up a good portion of my financial aid package. I understand that the system encourages you to take whatever you are given and you can always request less amount than what they give me. what happens if i decide not to take unsubsidized portion later on? Will that affect my stafford loan eligibility in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Loans are based on your EFC, so declining them won't have any effect on future loans. Also, you can decline part of your package and then request it later if you run into financial difficulty.

So if you think you don't need the money, it's OK to decline it.

Second to subsidized loans the unsubsidized staffords are the best you can get. If you are going to dental school at an expensive school I'm going to guess you are going to need a lot more than the subsidized loans to pay for your school and living costs. If you don't need the money then don't accept it. You can accept part of the unsubsidized loans if you want or all of it it is up to you to budget your costs.

it doesn't make sense to pay 6.8% on unsubsidized loan but this loan makes up a good portion of my financial aid package. I understand that the system encourages you to take whatever you are given and you can always request less amount than what they give me. what happens if i decide not to take unsubsidized portion later on? Will that affect my stafford loan eligibility in the future?

You can take it out at any time later on in the year. Make absolutely sure you don't need it, however.

There will be no effect eligibility.