Should DO students even take Step 1 P/F for psych or peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a 2nd yr DO student that is very on the fence about taking Step 1 p/f or not to match psychiatry (thinking of child psych) or peds. I know psych is getting very competitive. My plan originally was to just take USMLE Step 2 for a numerical score, but I'm unsure if residencies would auto screen me out by not taking Step 1? I know that in the past taking Step 1 has opened doors provided you did well, but how important would a P really be to residency directors? I worry that if I took it and failed, that would shut all the doors vs if I didn't take it step 1 I could maybe still match at a lower tiered residency with just COMLEX and Step 2. I have no indicators that makes me believe I would fail step 1, but is it really worth the gamble? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying psych this year and I'm absolutely glad I took the USMLEs. You need to be confident you'll get a good score or at minimum not fail the USMLE for it to be worth it. I got an interview with an Ivy league institution somehow and my COMLEX scores are TERRIBLE but I have good USMLE scores. If I didn't have the USMLE, I don't think they'd have given my application a glance. You don't want to give any program an excuse to filter your application.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I am applying psych this year and I'm absolutely glad I took the USMLEs. You need to be confident you'll get a good score or at minimum not fail the USMLE for it to be worth it. I got an interview with an Ivy league institution somehow and my COMLEX scores are TERRIBLE but I have good USMLE scores. If I didn't have the USMLE, I don't think they'd have given my application a glance. You don't want to give any program an excuse to filter your application.
Do you think that will still be true even with a P/F USMLE step 1?

Reactions: 1 user
I would absolutely take step 1 when it’s p/f. Some programs used to screen for step 1 scores but now the bar is even lower - the filter, should programs choose to use it, is just did you pass step 1 or not.

And why wouldn’t a program use it? Every applicant is applying to a huge number of programs these days, which means each program has a huge number of apps to review. If it could cut down on the number of apps they have to review, I would think it would be a no-brainer for a program to throw that filter on and eliminate part of their list.

Members don't see this ad :)
My quick assessment of your situation:

S1 will be P/F for your year. In the UNLIKELY event that you fail S1, you don't have to report it as a DO. This topic has been discussed quite a bit on SDN. So if you should fail S1 it's a throwaway and you can just stick with AOA programs. Taking S1 also will allow you to practice for S2 which will be scored. I would not want to be that person that goes from comlex 1 to S2. from what I have heard, comlex tests are poorly writen.

Bottom line: You got more plus side for taking S1 than donw side.

I am only a 2nd year MD student so what do I know?

Last edited:
With how many applications programs get many a PD will do anything they can to cull the herd. Eliminating everyone without a P on Step 1 will almost assuredly be the first thing they do.

There are zero reasons for a DO to not take USMLE these days.

You’re going to be studying for it like crazy for the next few months. Might as well gear up to take it. Passing is a much lower bar than doing well.

Do you think that will still be true even with a P/F USMLE step 1?
Yep! Same logic: don't let them have any reason to filter your app. Psych is getting crazy competitive and these virtual interviews are not doing DOs any favors.

My quick assessment of your situation:

S1 will be P/F for your year. In the UNLIKELY event that you fail S1, you don't have to report it as a DO. This topic has been discussed quite a bit on SDN. So if you should fail S1 it's a throwaway and you can just stick with AOA programs. Taking S1 also will allow you to practice for S2 which will be scored. I would not want to be that person that goes from comlex 1 to S2. from what I have heard, comlex tests are poorly writen.

Bottom line: You got more plus side for taking S1 than donw side.

I am only a 2nd year MD student so what do I know?

This is not accurate. When a DO student takes the USMLE but doesn't release the score, the program director can see that the score was not released. However, it reports differently if USMLE was not taken. If there is data there that wasn't released, such as previously someone took it but maybe didn't hit a target/benchmark score for their desired specialty, the program director was left guessing, so they guessed the worst. You can not view this test as a "throw away", as deciding to take it and failing (which would be the only reason not to release the results) can cause significant issues in your application.

This is not accurate. When a DO student takes the USMLE but doesn't release the score, the program director can see that the score was not released. However, it reports differently if USMLE was not taken. If there is data there that wasn't released, such as previously someone took it but maybe didn't hit a target/benchmark score for their desired specialty, the program director was left guessing, so they guessed the worst. You can not view this test as a "throw away", as deciding to take it and failing (which would be the only reason not to release the results) can cause significant issues in your application.
I guess the question is for programs that accepts both steps and comlex, do they care if you took S1 and don't report it, when you passed your comlex? will it ruin your chance of getting an interview? if you get an interview and the PD ask why you did not report it, you than need to tell the truth. you are likely DOA for this program. But if they do not ask, you are likely good to go. you still graduate and get your liscense as a DO with a failed Step. All upside little down side, if any.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I have signed up to take Step 1. I know it's also far down the road, but should I anticipate taking Step 2 as well?