Should Dental Schools Offer Pro-rated Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triathlonman59

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting to see if a thread like this would pop up, but I haven't seen it yet. With the closure of almost every dental school in the country, should universities offer a tuition proration?
My dental school has actually done rather well transitioning the didactic courses to online (a move that should have occurred long ago IMO), and I have no problem paying tuition for those classes. But I believe that whatever portion of tuition corresponding to missing pre-clinic and clinic courses from initial school closure to the end of the semester should be refunded to the student.
What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which year are you?
It is reasonable from your point of view, but unreasonable from school point of view
For now It is complicated

If you will still graduate or be promoted to the next year, then no IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your dean should at least send you a video of them dancing to help make up for it.

#nyuforthewin

Big Hoss

Reactions: 7 users
Yes and no. While I would love to have some of my money back I don't think it's a realistic expectation. Tuition money has been allocated and spent. The fixed cost stay the same whether you're learning in a classroom or online. Maybe some cost might be saved by not using up materials but likely not a significant amount. I'm much more concerned about the possibility of any upcoming significant tuition increases. The clinic is a big source of revenue for our budget. With loss of operating time the budget will be short. I don't know where that money will come from but I hope it isn't tuition.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes and no. While I would love to have some of my money back I don't think it's a realistic expectation. Tuition money has been allocated and spent. The fixed cost stay the same whether you're learning in a classroom or online. Maybe some cost might be saved by not using up materials but likely not a significant amount. I'm much more concerned about the possibility of any upcoming significant tuition increases. The clinic is a big source of revenue for our budget. With loss of operating time the budget will be short. I don't know where that money will come from but I hope it isn't tuition.
I could have written what you said word for word, these are my very same concerns.

They can have my money. I just want this nightmare to be over....:mad:

Reactions: 5 users
just hope they don't keep us for an additional semester...

We're just paying for our license anyways..

Schools have been hit hard with the clinics being shut down. Now might not be a good time to bring it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Public schools are fine because they have state legislations. Interested to hear what private schools will do.

Yeah I don’t think that’s quite how it works. States will have reduced budgets as well since their isn’t much income to tax. I’m doubtful that covering the states dental school clinic will be a high priority in the grand scheme of things. I know that money from the states makes up only 2% of my schools budget.

We're just paying for our license anyways..

Schools have been hit hard with the clinics being shut down. Now might not be a good time to bring it up.

I hadn't thought of it quite that way. Seems a little dirty for reasons I listed above, but I recognize that's just the way dental school works. It might not be worth it to poke the bear at this point, so I guess I'll just ride the wave and see how everything shakes out.

Let that be a lesson: choose the cheapest school you can because you're just paying for the degree after all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hadn't thought of it quite that way. Seems a little dirty for reasons I listed above, but I recognize that's just the way dental school works. It might not be worth it to poke the bear at this point, so I guess I'll just ride the wave and see how everything shakes out.

Let that be a lesson: choose the cheapest school you can because you're just paying for the degree after all!

Spot on - don't poke the bear. Get your degree and move on

When will dental schools reopen for clinic?

I think they should. Our class isn't even getting newly recorded or live lectures. They're just posting old lectures from last year. That means the majority of professors aren't doing anything. Their salary should be cut

These schools are horribly financially mismanaged. No way they will be giving anything back +pity+

I agree with fees such as the gym, instruments, technology and student health fees. However I find it crazy that some of us living in student housing owned by my school still need to pay rent if we do not hand over our room keys considering: They ordered us to leave if possible ASAP, no where to store stuff unless we pay out of pocket (not to mention if we aren't in the area to move it). Lastly, who is going to move in during a time like this that is school affiliated? Me and my roomates are renewing our lease anyways.

I agree with fees such as the gym, instruments, technology and student health fees. However I find it crazy that some of us living in student housing owned by my school still need to pay rent if we do not hand over our room keys considering: They ordered us to leave if possible ASAP, no where to store stuff unless we pay out of pocket (not to mention if we aren't in the area to move it). Lastly, who is going to move in during a time like this that is school affiliated? Me and my roomates are renewing our lease anyways.
That sucks :/ UCLA allowed people to "pause" their contracts essentially and get a refund for a part of March + April, and didn't require keys to be turned in or stuff to be moved out

Most of people at my school live at student housing apartments not owned by the school. We still have to pay rent even though we are not living there right now :(

Most of people at my school live at student housing apartments not owned by the school. We still have to pay rent even though we are not living there right now :(

Like the other 300 million Americans?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
My student tenants decided to stop paying rent when they found out their was a freeze on evictions.

My student tenants decided to stop paying rent when they found out their was a freeze on evictions.
Is this national or just in certain states? Wouldn't that affect their credit scores?

Is this national or just in certain states? Wouldn't that affect their credit scores?
My state has a freeze until May. It certainly will affect theirs and their parent’s credit score when I evict them and send to their debt to credit collectors in May.

• Wow
Don’t you lose more money and time by evicting them and looking for new tenants than trying to work something out with the current tenants?
No, doesn’t cost anything to evict and get judgements against them. They were non working students, COVID did not impact them financially in anyway. New tenants have been scheduled to move in in August since February.

• Wow
Won’t they pay the previous monthly rent balances immediately before you try and evict them? Or they literally just dont have the funds at the moment and in the foreseeable future?
Can’t predict the future so I don’t know. The parents are just crappy people who took adavatge of the situation. The kids have no loans and were not working to pay their way through college. They could pay if they wanted.

My state has a freeze until May. It certainly will affect theirs and their parent’s credit score when I evict them and send to their debt to credit collectors in May.
I dont blame you. Everyone is getting screwed in their own way and passing the blame higher up. Renters? Blame the landlord. Landlord? Blame the stage govt for no mortgage forgiveness. Stage Govt? Blame national govt for no funding