Should a D-School with 15.8 AA, 2.85 sGPA average be allowed to continue this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should ADA do something to Meharry's current admission standard/criteria?

• Yes, the ADA should get involved here

Votes: 142 48.0%
  • No, Meharry should keep their current admission standard/criteria

Votes: 154 52.0%

• Total voters
This thread shows the fact that racism is still in fact alive. I have heard a large amount of stereotypes and marginalization of all races. Not only that, but this is not the forum to conduct this kind of conversation in. We should let this thread get back to talking about pre-dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I did. Just because you do not doesn't mean other people don't put in everything they have into other classes. When I study for any test I don't say, ah I'm going to get a 92. When I studied for the DAT I didn't say, "ah I'm going to study to get a 20," no. I'm a student and it is my passion to learn as much as I can in every class.

I'm not talking so much about putting everything into a class. I'm talking more about time-management and oppurtunity cost. Every student prioritizes their coursework/work/extracurriculars/social life. There is just not enough time to do everything. Just because a student does not put in 100% of his time doesn't mean they don't put in 100% of their effort - and maybe that's why you misunderstand me.

If you were taking Biochem and History and you had a test the same day and had a limited amount of study time you would probably have to favor one over the other. And it wouldn't make you any less of a "student" or "passionate learner" - it would just be smart time-management.

If I knew I could get into dental school with a 16, I would have studied for 2 weeks instead of 2 months. I still would have made the effort to do my best, but I would have been satisfied with a 16. The additional time that I would have gained could have been used for other productive things - my research, working in a dental office, volunteering, helping babies etc.

Education and being a student is way more than just what we get out of class. If I sacrifice a 99% for a 92% in a history class in order to have more profound experiences outside of class (or in other classes), it does not make me any less of a student and does not diminish my passion for learning.

Wait a minute, are you for real?? So you're saying you relate with neo nazis.

So, i guess you have watched the movie. Do you remember his father told his son that black people who are less qualified than other white people get more and better jobs? And he mentioned that black people always get the affirmative action and they never appreciate it. Both black and white people seek same jobs and less qualified black people take those jobs, so more qualified white people are rejected since there are no more seats. This idea applies to Meharry and Howard. They accept more black people although they are less qualified (lower GPAs and DATs) just because they are BLACK?

I am not saying I relate with neo nazis. I hate people killing other races just because they are different races. But I do not like the fact that black people always use the affirmative action and they still complain they are DISADVANTAGED. Oh, really? They are really disadvanteged? You guys use the affirmative action and you are disadvanteged? There are many white and asian people do not even care about the affirmative action since they are generous. But most people do not like black people attitude because they are still whining about other things and trying to get excuses. And they never appreciate the affirmative action. Just ask yourself honestly whether this is true. I do not expect all black people on this forum change their attitude, but you guys need to at least admit this is true.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, i guess you have watched the movie. Do you remember his father told his son that black people who are less qualified than other white people get more and better jobs? And he mentioned that black people always get the affirmative action and they never appreciate it. Both black and white people seek same jobs and less qualified black people take those jobs, so more qualified white people are rejected since there amore seats. This idea applies to Meharry and Howard. They accept more black people although they are less qualified (lower GPAs and DATs) just because they are BLACK?

I am not saying I relate with neo nazis. I hate people killing other races just because they are different races. But I do not like the fact that black people always use the affirmative action and they still complain they are DISADVANTAGED. Oh, really? They are really disadvanteged? You guys use the affirmative action and you are disadvanteged? There are many white and asian people do not even care about the affirmative action since they are generous. But most people do not like black people attitude because they are still whining about other things and trying to get excuses. And they never appreciate the affirmative action. Just ask yourself honestly whether this is true. I do not expect all black people on this forum change their attitude, but you guys need to at least admit this is true.

Agree! :thumbup:

Could I just offer some advice... please don't tell any of your future classmates your SDN screen name.

Oh WOW...that really hurts!!! BoBo, if only I can be as wonderful as you are so I can tell everyone who I am! :laugh::thumbdown:rolleyes:

That's a perfect example...Asians are minorities AND have the SAME amount (or lack of resources) as blacks do, so economically Asians and blacks are EQUAL. Except Asians do a lot better b/c we actually work hard and pick up a book once in a while instead of complaining about being "disadvantaged"....:rolleyes:

First of all, wow.

I am not an African-American, but you should take a look at this.
http://www.asian-nation.org/demographics.shtml

In American History X, the main characters dad complains how as a firefighter his life depends who he works with, so it should be best man for the job PERIOD, because there's lives at stake. So he complains when theres AA and all of the sudden a person less qualified is responsable for his life. This has nothing to do with racism. When there are lives at stake, you have to put AA aside, regardless of the demographics.

The dad in AHX is a bit too extreme, but his son is the one that takes the views to the extreme and becomes neo-nazi. What the dad says about AA and firefighting makes perfect sense, and if minorities can't see that, they are just as racist for expecting such a job based on skin color. Agreeing with the dad on AHX does not make one racist.

You're just trying to be funny now.:laugh: If I would had said that an education at BCC rivals that of an education at an ivy league university I would have been crucified on the spot. Besides, we're not talking about Algebra. We're talking about DAT requirements. Inorganic & Organic Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Physics, and Anatomy with all the labs. I took Inorganic Chemistry 2 at a Community College and passed easily with little effort. We breezed through the chapters and lab was a joke! Matter of fact our lab TA often couldn't even adequately explain the experiments. We also had to work in larger groups because of the lack of materials available. However, I took the remainder of my science courses at Syracuse University. From experience I can confirm that the the quality of work assigned, expectations, and resources available (such as an abundance of lab materials, smaller lab groups, better equipment, and knowledgable facilitators) allowed me to develop a greater understanding in the sciences.

I'm not saying that an individual who attends a CC couldn't get into dental school at the same rate as someone with an ivy league education. I'm talking about resources that will elevate an individuals quality of education. Go ahead. Study all you want. However, when you mix effective study habits with productive teaching methods and the resources as stated above a serious student couldn't help but to earn a more solid education than the one who was not afforded those luxuaries.

Why do you think adcoms value courses completed at a 4 year university over those completed at your beloved CC? The academic expectations and resources at CC's are usually inferior to what is expected and available at 4 year institutions. That's why a lack of resources at any level of one's education can often place them into the disadvantaged bracket. You don't like that do you? Well that's how it is....Period....:laugh:
The only resource you really need for all those classes you mentioned, is your textbook.

Guys this thread is getting dragged out too much.
As I said before it is up to the admissions of these schools who determine individuals that they are going to admit. They may not necessarily go for the high stats individuals. I hope nobody here is getting jealous of people who have lower stats that got in while they have higher stats with no admission. It is hard to determine what a schools admissions are thinking when they are looking at the applicant files. I personally could have been rejected by my dental school while they take somebody with lower stats. There are probably people with higher stats that are sobbing or feeling sorry for themselves because they didn't get in.

Don't drag this too much into societal/political issue because it could get too provocative. :thumbdown:

The biggest problem with the 'blacks are disadvantaged' argument is that they may not be disadvantaged. Meharry is accepting black students with a low COLLEGE gpa. These students WENT TO COLLEGE. They had all the resources of a university. Lots of colleges will even provide full financial aid/grants to those in severe need. Even if they had a disadvantaged past, they had all of 4 years in college to improve. Despite all that, they couldn't make the grade. I wonder if these 'I was discriminated against' and 'I don't have resources' arguments are roundabouts for 'I'm just not that smart.'

The biggest problem with the 'blacks are disadvantaged' argument is that they may not be disadvantaged. Meharry is accepting black students with a low COLLEGE gpa. These students WENT TO COLLEGE. They had all the resources of a university. Lots of colleges will even provide full financial aid/grants to those in severe need. Even if they had a disadvantaged past, they had all of 4 years in college to improve. Despite all that, they couldn't make the grade. I wonder if these 'I was discriminated against' and 'I don't have resources' arguments are roundabouts for 'I'm just not that smart.'

As I said before they may not have the highest stats but maybe the admissions saw something about them that made them admit it. Why do we care about other people who get admitted. We should worry about ourselves.

Guys this thread is getting dragged out too much.
As I said before it is up to the admissions of these schools who determine individuals that they are going to admit. They may not necessarily go for the high stats individuals. I hope nobody here is getting jealous of people who have lower stats that got in while they have higher stats with no admission. It is hard to determine what a schools admissions are thinking when they are looking at the applicant files. I personally could have been rejected by my dental school while they take somebody with lower stats. There are probably people with higher stats that are sobbing or feeling sorry for themselves because they didn't get in.

Don't drag this too much into societal/political issue because it could get too provocative. :thumbdown:

People have read what you said before - they just might not agree that their methodology is legitimate, given that the juxtaposition of races would be considered racist. The issue is essentially societal/political, because those are among the constraints that guide their acceptance criteria. This thread was headed here from the start - lock it down if you don't like it. It's a valid argument, but it never leads anywhere pleasant.

Members don't see this ad :)
What they saw was the 2 X 2 photo that they require all applicants to mail in.
And the reason people are heated about this discrimination is because they ARE worried about themselves and the fact that they are each being discriminated against. People should speak up about injustice, not all this whinny "worry about yourself" nonsense which aims to distract people into ignoring the real problem.

As I said before they may not have the highest stats but maybe the admissions saw something about them that made them admit it. Why do we care about other people who get admitted. We should worry about ourselves.

I found this on the Meharry website. It is dental related and addresses why someone might not get in with higher stats. Basically it is the criteria of the students they are looking for. I just googled their mission statement.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].
"Meharry Medical College provides health professions education and training in medicine, dentistry, biomedical sciences, clinical investigation, and health care administration. Since its founding in 1876, the college has focused its efforts on educating people of color and on providing health care in underserved communities. The mission of the college is clearly defined in the following statement, which was approved by the Board of Trustees Plenary Session Minutes in November 2004.

Meharry Medical College exists to improve the health and health care of minority and underserved communities by offering excellent education and training programs in the health sciences; placing special emphasis on providing opportunities to people of color and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, regardless of race or ethnicity; delivering high quality health services; and conducting research that fosters the elimination of health disparities."

So the bottom line is they are looking for individuals that come from and will serve an underserved community. I think that doing this is really good for the profession of dentistry. This way every community can have a dentist that will work hard for them.

This is why stats cannot tell the whole story and why I think Meharry is doing a great thing.:D

I found this on the Meharry website. It is dental related and addresses why someone might not get in with higher stats. Basically it is the criteria of the students they are looking for. I just googled their mission statement.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].
"Meharry Medical College provides health professions education and training in medicine, dentistry, biomedical sciences, clinical investigation, and health care administration. Since its founding in 1876, the college has focused its efforts on educating people of color and on providing health care in underserved communities. The mission of the college is clearly defined in the following statement, which was approved by the Board of Trustees Plenary Session Minutes in November 2004.

Meharry Medical College exists to improve the health and health care of minority and underserved communities by offering excellent education and training programs in the health sciences; placing special emphasis on providing opportunities to people of color and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, regardless of race or ethnicity; delivering high quality health services; and conducting research that fosters the elimination of health disparities."

So the bottom line is they are looking for individuals that come from and will serve an underserved community. I think that doing this is really good for the profession of dentistry. This way every community can have a dentist that will work hard for them.

This is why stats cannot tell the whole story and why I think Meharry is doing a great thing.:D

They provide opportunities to 1) people of color, and 2) people who aren't black but are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Note that the 'regardless of race or ethnicity' modification clause doesn't modify 'people of color.' That just wouldn't make sense.

If you're not black, you should be from a disadvantaged background.

They provide opportunities to 1) people of color, and 2) people who aren't black but are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Note that the 'regardless of race or ethnicity' modification clause doesn't modify 'people of color.' That just wouldn't make sense.

If you're not black, you should be from a disadvantaged background.

That is exactly right. So this is what people who apply to Howard should expect to be compared to. Meharry is a private school and as such is able to admit whoever they feel would best fit their school, the best "fit" is just different for a historically African American school.

BTW what D-school do you go to? Did you apply to Meharry?

That is exactly right. So this is what people who apply to Howard should expect to be compared to. Meharry is a private school and as such is able to admit whoever they feel would best fit their school, the best "fit" is just different for a historically African American school.

BTW what D-school do you go to? Did you apply to Meharry?

And I believe that Meharry should continue to accept mostly blacks. Most of us at the white schools prefer to serve the rich folks, so Meharry and Howard have a dauntingly huge task of filling the national requirement for dentists that'll work for the underserved. I just think it's a shame that those numbers suggest many things about our social structure. It's one of the biggest social commentary out there.

Nobody really knows what school I go to. It's a mystery. ...I go to a Cali school. That's all I'll say on that. And it's public. And it's not full of hippies. Now, that's all I'll say on that.

I like how people vote anonymously and then state their opinions below. It's funny. :)

People have read what you said before - they just might not agree that their methodology is legitimate, given that the juxtaposition of races would be considered racist. The issue is essentially societal/political, because those are among the constraints that guide their acceptance criteria. This thread was headed here from the start - lock it down if you don't like it. It's a valid argument, but it never leads anywhere pleasant.

I don't think the methodology that Meharry uses is bad. It just so happens the people that they target are on average lower stats. Since I am not interested in Meharry it doesn't bother me at all. They pick the "best" of the lot just like any other school but since they target people who historically have on average lower stats so they end up with lower averages. Is this bad? Not at all. They can do whatever they want. Heck if they admitted a druggy who they though could turn it around that's fine. In fact I think it is good if there weren't schools taking in african american like these schools then what about african american patients who are more comfortable with African American dentist. I hope nobody thinks this is racist.

First of all, wow.

I am not an African-American, but you should take a look at this.
http://www.asian-nation.org/demographics.shtml

wow if you guys havent seen that website you should.. considering the short amount of time in our nations history that asians and indians have been here they have done a great deal for themselves, if that website is accurate asians have the highest median income in america, and according to the website around 30% of these asians are not proficient in english.. thats nuts. My parents came to this country 25 yrs ago with $20 and worked minimum wage jobs (baskin robins etc), and now 25 yrs later we live very comfortably in a nice area of NY. I went to a public schools my whole life in okay neighborhoods, but instead of cutting class to go smoke pot outside i actually paid attention in class, instead of harrassing the teachers i tried to take advantage of the free education system in this country that we take for granted. After class my parents expected homework to be finished by the time they got home, on top of that they gave me their own homework to do, and yes they took time out of their day to actually check the homework (at least in elementary school). I think it starts from the parents and the values they instill in their children, a little hard work, smart money managing and you can eventually live comfortably, at least thats what i see in my parents case. Ps I'm asian.

wow..i was out of town for 2 days ......and this thread is still alive and is onto its 4th page....

wow if you guys havent seen that website you should.. considering the short amount of time in our nations history that asians and indians have been here they have done a great deal for themselves, if that website is accurate asians have the highest median income in america, and according to the website around 30% of these asians are not proficient in english.. thats nuts. My parents came to this country 25 yrs ago with $20 and worked minimum wage jobs (baskin robins etc), and now 25 yrs later we live very comfortably in a nice area of NY. I went to a public schools my whole life in okay neighborhoods, but instead of cutting class to go smoke pot outside i actually paid attention in class, instead of harrassing the teachers i tried to take advantage of the free education system in this country that we take for granted. After class my parents expected homework to be finished by the time they got home, on top of that they gave me their own homework to do, and yes they took time out of their day to actually check the homework (at least in elementary school). I think it starts from the parents and the values they instill in their children, a little hard work, smart money managing and you can eventually live comfortably, at least thats what i see in my parents case. Ps I'm asian.

there are other ethnic groups with a higher median income; that website doesnt list all of them

My dentist is a Vietnamese refugee who came to this country when he was 12 or 13 not knowing the language and with hardly any education. Not too popular with any ethnic group for that matter either considering what a corpse factory Vietnam was in those times. His father was dead and his mother worked as a maid. He didnt need to crack open a history book to see discrimination as it was rammed down his throat pretty much daily.

Really shows the value of hard work. A motivating story regardless of your background. Hard work is the answer to just about any concerns here.

like i give a **** what you think

Do yourself a favor and don't tell anybody your name in dental school...you're compative tone and attitude will likely jeopardize potential friendships with collegues and staff. Good luck...pssht :rolleyes:

I realized I may have been working off the wrong definition of discrimination. So I looked it up to verify: treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

The definition focuses on preferential treatment, not hostility towards someone. A kid suffering from teasing or mocking from other students is not discrimination. It's a hostile environment. If blacks are discriminated against at school, it's more apt to focus on whether the teachers gave them preferential treatment or whether they gave other races preferential treatment.

Interesting questions to look into are, in a school that's predominantly minorities (I've heard of many predominantly black high schools and predominantly latino schools) are the students' performance any different? There're unlikely to be discrimination against blacks in a predominantly black school.

Do students at Morehouse/Spelman/Howard/Tuskegee/Morris Brown perform any better on national standardized exams? Within these institutions, there can be no discrimination and no lack of resources.

ya'll are heeeee-larious! really the black school? where's the white school at then? oh and the hispanic school, asian school...yeah i'm black and i'm not angry at this post, stupidity and ignorance makes me laugh.
:laugh:
believe it or not...gonna let you in on a secret, black students care about thier grades and study for their test...and myself for example cried like a baby when i got a "B" in organic, i worked so hard, had an "A" before the final, um yeah grades come out...B!!!

i'm not the exception... so please stop being ignorant.

and to the orignal question, um yeah don't care where you go to school, we all will sit for the same boards, so straight A's, straight B's doesnt' matter (well if you wanna do a residency sure) the boards matter.

ah lets get on with our lives shall we.

ya'll are heeeee-larious! really the black school? where's the white school at then? oh and the hispanic school, asian school...yeah i'm black and i'm not angry at this post, stupidity and ignorance makes me laugh.
believe it or not...gonna let you in on a secret, black students care about thier grades and study for their test...and myself for example cried like a baby when i got a "B" in organic, i worked so hard, had an "A" before the final, um yeah grades come out...B!!!

i'm not the exception... so please stop being ignorant.

and to the orignal question, um yeah don't care where you go to school, we all will sit for the same boards, so straight A's, straight B's doesnt' matter (well if you wanna do a residency sure) the boards matter.

ah lets get on with our lives shall we.

have you even gotten into a dental school yet?

And you don't consider Meharry and Howard black schools?

And there are no white dental schools. Same with asian dental schools. But there are White/Asian schools...are all dental schools aside from Meharry and Howard!

Do yourself a favor and don't tell anybody your name in dental school...you're compative tone and attitude will likely jeopardize potential friendships with collegues and staff. Good luck...pssht :rolleyes:

Do you have any independent thoughts or do you normally make it a duty of copying other people posts

oh, and i am still not giving a #### about what you think

Do you have any independent thoughts or do you normally make it a duty of copying other people posts

sorry kinks but denticus is right, she really is a dumb ***!!! :p

blah blah blah

believe it or not...gonna let you in on a secret, black students care about thier grades and study for their test(s)...and myself for example cried like a baby when i got a "B" in organic, i worked so hard, had an "A" before the final, um yeah grades come out...B!!!

blah blah, blah blah

Might want to study harder.

where the hell is my popcorn?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool: this is better than last night's episode of south park by far.

LOL!!! This thread is getting way out of hand. I thought I was done responding. However, like many I keep checking back. Truthfully, I can understand why many whites and asians may become mad at Affirmative Action. It does "sometimes" take opportunities away from qualified individuals in those particular groups.

Speaking of taking opportunities from qualified individuals.
http://epicanthus.net/2007/11/16/ch...an-man-blog-nisei-journalist-hosokawa-passes/

http://dailybruin.com/news/2007/nov/13/donations-influence-admissions/

However, our nation has proven that without Affirmative Action qualified individuals of many minority groups have repeatedly been denied opportunities based on race alone. If these accusations were false then Affirmative Action would have never been created.

Yes, I understand the resentment. We all face discrimination at some point. I guess that's just our societies way of attempting to level the playing field. It may be flawed but that's how it is.

My question is to the quoted poster. Do you even know any black people or are you just making generaliztions on what you percieve as being true?

Truthfully, not all black people are or can be considered disadvantaged. Their are many affluent black families in the United States. However, the majority of the population is social-econmically disadvantaged compared to whites. There is no question about it. Hell, you can google it. However, black people as well as other minorities have learned to used the disadvantaged status as an "advantage" to get opportunities. There's no need to sugar coat it. We're talking about the chance at getting a seat in dental school!! Those who apply usually pull out all the stops while filling out their AADSAS. Everyone I know who thought that they could check disadvantaged and get away with it did, regardless of their race!!

"There are many white and asian people do not even care about the affirmative action since they are generous"...... WTF??????

Do black people appreciate Affirmative Action? LOL..:laugh:.. Do a bear crap in the woods? You can bet your life that we appreciate it! I don't know not one black/minority/disadvantaged person that would agree with half of the assumptions you made.

LOL!!! This thread is getting way out of hand. I thought I was done responding. However, like many I keep checking back. Truthfully, I can understand why many whites and asians may become mad at Affirmative Action. It does "sometimes" take opportunities away from qualified individuals in those particular groups.

http://epicanthus.net/2007/11/16/ch...an-man-blog-nisei-journalist-hosokawa-passes/

However, our nation has proven that without Affirmative Action qualified individuals of many minority groups have repeatedly been denied opportunities based on race alone. If these accusations were false then Affirmative Action would have never been created.

Yes, I understand the resentment. We all face discrimination at some point. I guess that's just our societies way of attempting to level the playing field. It may be flawed but that's how it is.

My question is to the quoted poster. Do you even know any black people or are you just making generaliztions on what you percieve as being true?

Truthfully, not all black people are or can be considered disadvantaged. Their are many affluent black families in the United States. However, the majority of the population is social-econmically disadvantaged compared to whites. There is no question about it. Hell, you can google it. However, black people as well as other minorities have learned to used the disadvantaged status as an "advantage" to get opportunities. There's no need to sugar coat it. We're talking about the chance at getting a seat in dental school!! Those who apply usually pull out all the stops while filling out their AADSAS. Everyone I know who thought that they could check disadvantaged and get away with it did, regardless of their race!!

"There are many white and asian people do not even care about the affirmative action since they are generous"...... WTF??????

Do black people appreciate Affirmative Action? LOL..:laugh:.. Do a bear crap in the woods? You can bet your life that we appreciate it! I don't know not one black/minority/disadvantaged person that would agree with half of the assumptions you made.

What!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my GOD. Mr. PCrooks, you mean tell me that the prestigious UCLA is accepting students based on criteria other than GPA. I thought such unscrupulous and deceptive behaviour was relegated to the likes of Meharry. You have got to be kidding me. Crooks, I think the ADA has got to step in here - IMMEDIATELY. The school needs to be shut down at once:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. I wonder how many black students with high grades were passed by cause they never had 60,000:mad::mad::mad:. This is rediculous - not meharry, not howard but UCLA. I am just waiting to see what the responses to your post will be, in fact I hereby send out an invitation.

Harvard, Princeton, Yale and many other institutions do the same damn thing and call it legacy positions. Ivy presidents condone and even defend the concept of legacy positions. And I dare say that all of those legacy position go to the "previleged white". But no-one cares, they only rail against a school, for the "disadvantaged black".

But hey, its harvard and its Princeton and its Yale. They can do no wrong, so lets invite the ADA to bully Meharry.

Whats worse, in many cases, affirmative action and similar policies are allowed not even to help disadvantaged black students, but just to prevent public outcry agianst this legacy business. And what is the main reason they defend their legacy positions: to increase their endowment i.e. to get paid.

http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=762110&mc=21&forum_id=1#9289717

I am utterly disgusted.

What!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my GOD. Mr. PCrooks, you mean tell me that the prestigious UCLA is accepting students based on criteria other than GPA. I thought such unscrupulous and deceptive behaviour was relegated to the likes of Meharry. You have got to be kidding me. Crooks, I think the ADA has got to step in here - IMMEDIATELY. The school needs to be shut down at once:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. I wonder how many black students with high grades were passed by cause they never had 60,000:mad::mad::mad:. This is rediculous - not meharry, not howard but UCLA. I am just waiting to see what the responses to your post will be, in fact I hereby send out an invitation.

Harvard, Princeton, Yale and many other institutions do the same damn thing and call it legacy positions. Ivy presidents condone and even defend the concept of legacy positions. And I dare say that all of those legacy position go to the "previleged white". But no-one cares, they only rail against a school, for the "disadvantaged black".

But hey, its harvard and its Princeton and its Yale. They can do no wrong, so lets invite the ADA to bully Meharry.

Whats worse, in many cases, affirmative action and similar policies are allowed not even to help disadvantaged black students, but just to prevent public outcry agianst this legacy business. And what is the main reason they defend their legacy positions: to increase their endowment i.e. to get paid.

http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=762110&mc=21&forum_id=1#9289717

I am utterly disgusted.

It's not the post, it's the principle. BTW, it's nice to see that you're "not giving a #### about what" I think, so why don't you keep responding to me, further substantiating the fact that you're getting...affected? Interesting that you put "still" into that statement...sorry...must have me confused with one of your other SDN "friends" :rolleyes:. Good luck! :p

Discrimination is illegal. Affirmative action gives preference to a certain racial group, therefore affirmative action IS discrimination.

DIdn't I just talk about the chance at getting a seat in dental school? You just admitted that most black people use Affirmative Action even in dental schools and you mentioned that you understand the resentment. Andyou do not have to be rich in order to get into dental schools. Why are you guys keep talking about social economically disadvantaged people?Many people already mentioned this thing many times on this forum. There are tons of social economically disadvantaged people regardless of any races get into professional schools in America. America is the country gives opportunities to everyone. As long as you work hard, you have a good chance to get into dental schools. That's why I mentioned I do not like most black people attitude as they try to get some excuses using the word "disadvantaged" although they get Affirmative Action. And as you mentioned, black people do not appreciate Affirmative Action and that's fine. I just do not like how you guys use the word "disadvantaged".

And Let's just talk about only PREDENTAL BLACK people, not other black people. We do not have to talk about non-predental black people right now. So are you saying that those black people got into Howard and Meharry have genereally less DAT scores and GPAs because they are social economically disadvantaged? As I mentioned above, I have to disagree that and I really doubt that those Howard and Meharry black students are social economically disadvantaged. And I know some black people at my school have high GPAs and DATs no matter what. Why do Howard and Meharry have to admit mostly black people having low GPAs and DATs? And you are saying because they are social economically disadvantaged? Aren't Howard and Meharry PRIVATE SCHOOLS? If the schools are for social economically disadvantaged black people then why do they want you to pay more than $20,000 each year? Isn't it ironic? I bet at least some of Meharry and Howard black students are rich and do not even have to get full loans to go to those schools.

Discrimination is illegal. Affirmative action gives preference to a certain racial group, therefore affirmative action IS discrimination.

Discrimination is not illegal in all cases. Many private colleges and universites can (and do) choose to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, for instance.

And as you mentioned, black people do not appreciate Affirmative Action and that's fine.

Umm, if you read the post you were quoting, I believe he said you can "bet your life" that blacks appreciate AA.

If the schools are for social economically disadvantaged black people then why do they want you to pay more than $20,000 each year?

Believe it or not, this is a pretty cheap tuition price tag for a private dental school.

Discrimination is not illegal in all cases. Many private colleges and universites can (and do) choose to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, for instance.

Then that puts them at great legal liability. When universities discriminate, punitive damages are in the millions.

Then that puts them at great legal liability. When universities discriminate, punitive damages are in the millions.

I was actually pretty shocked when I found this out myself. However, it is perfectly legal. If you read the non-discrimination statements of many Christian colleges and universites, however, you won't find sexual orientation on the list. And there is no federal law mandating it either.

I was actually pretty shocked when I found this out myself. However, it is perfectly legal. If you read the non-discrimination statements of many Christian colleges and universites, however, you won't find sexual orientation on the list. And there is no federal law mandating it either.

I know it's legal in most states. That's why it still exists. I've read some cases about Asians sueing Harvard for discriminatory practices that lower standards for African Americans. The courts ruled that it's allowable for universities to lower standards for the sake of diversity, and there are probably numerous more situations where discrimination's allowable.

At the heart of it, I'm just saying that affirmative action is discrimination.

...and I DID notice that Christian universities left out "sexual orientation" from their list of things they don't discriminate against. It's hard to accept people who you think'll go to hell.

was just wondering how meharry and howard admissions committee knows that a particular applicant is from a financially challenged background, do they ask you to show tax forms on their secondary apps? alot of students fill out their fafsa after being accepted. Im sure aa good chunk of these students are from a middle class family but just happened to have poor grades in college for other reasons, (lazy, party too much etc.). In that case i think something should be done, a student should not just be let in because he is a specific race eventhough he's had none of these disadvantages that were mentioned previously. Other than that I think its ok what meharry and howard are doing.