Shortest Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amccague

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking for some information on what is the shortest residency/internship.
A friend of mine told me that technically residencies are for specialties and you could go get job after 1 year internship.
Is this true? I cant find anything online giving examples.
Im curious about salaries and what type of work setting you could have if you went this route.
Let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

in theory, the shortest residency would be a 1 year preliminary medicine internship or transitional year residency... this would allow you to be licensed as a doctor... however, you will have trouble finding a job unless you worked in an acute care facility in the middle of nebraska...

in reality, the shortest residency is 3 years to become a general internal medicine doc or 3 years to become an ER doc... then you will at least find jobs...

EM, IM, Peds, PM&R, Family med. In the end, don't choose a field based on the length of training. Choose the field you want to practice in for the rest of your life - you will be happiest that way ;)

NinerNiner999 said:
EM, IM, Peds, PM&R, Family med. In the end, don't choose a field based on the length of training. Choose the field you want to practice in for the rest of your life - you will be happiest that way ;)

PM&R is a four year residency. But usually one of the cushier, from what I've heard.

Neurosurgery or ortho are the easiest. In a "not really" sort of way

I'm sure Nuc Med is <3yrs

FP, IM and PEDS are all 3 years. But many people in IM and PEDS will do another 2-3 year of fellowship training.

The fastest way to practice independently (and put up your own shingle) is probably FP.

Technically you can practice after 1 year of residency training (as US grad). But except for medicare/medicaid there won't be many insurance carriers willing to pay for your services. Also, if you need hospital admitting priviledges (many insurance companies require this), you will have a hard time without at least board eligibility (-->a completed residency) in some specialty. Most of the people who practice without a full residency end up in some 'doc-in-the-box' ventures or similar low-end walk-in primary care for cash type situations. Not exactly something I would aspire to.

There are still some old GP's around who only did an internship, but they are a dying breed. This used to be the standard way to GP practice, but nowadays it would be hard to make a living that way.

btw:
Nucmed is 2 years, but you need 1 year of medicine to start (unless you get a waiver based on overseas experience).