short term clinical research opportunities??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjpn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my last year of medical school in Japan and am looking for a 3 ~4 weeks clinical research opportunity in US. Is there any foreign student who worked on a clinical research for a short term? any source of stipend? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my last year of medical school in Japan and am looking for a 3 ~4 weeks clinical research opportunity in US. Is there any foreign student who worked on a clinical research for a short term? any source of stipend? Thanks.
3-4 weeks is generally too short of a committment to do a research project. Even if the lab director has done 90% of the preparatory work, a project (data collection, interpretation, and write-up) generally takes a summer. Why the hurry? I've met tons of guys from Japan who've done a year of reseach in the US and get published.

We had a German med student do research with us over the summer. It was at least a 2-3 month committment, but I think she was then went to another part of the US to continue research and clinical rotations somewhere else too. I agree 3-4 weeks is nothing. Unless there's some official fellowship that pays, I highly doubt there are any PI's that would provide much of a stipend, if any, the work done in that time period. Depending on the project, it may take some time to figure out what you are doing, let alone do actual research.

I agree with RxnMan, find something that is 3-4 months long, or even a year long. You'll get more out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only type of project you can usually do in 3-4 weeks is a literature review or case report. If you find the doctor in advance and they clear all the hurdles with the IRB, you might be able to do this. Most blocks like this will not offer a stipend.