Sharing rank lists now that ROLs are in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone was paranoid to post their ROLs before ROLs were due. But now that they are in, I thought we could share.

As someone who did not post much earlier on in the season, I feel obligated to everyone on this board. It's been so helpful to me. So I will kick it off.

As an aside: man, things were random! I feel lucky to have these 8 places to rank, got rejected by some I really wanted (UCSF, UPenn) and a few I had as backups. FictionalGirl, I'd be curious to know how you ranked UCLA and BNI as well!

1) UCLA
2) Partners
3) BNI
4) Duke
5) UCSD
6) Stanford
7) UWash
8) NYU

Best of luck to everyone for the news on St. Patrick's Day 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

it was close at the end, but i followed my heart...i would love to get in my top 3 and be happy at pretty much any of these programs

1. miami
2. washu
3. emory
4. duke
5. vanderbilt
6. thomas jefferson
7. baylor
8. USF

Decided not to be a squeezer and share my list after using this website to help make decisions :) Honestly I would be more than thrilled with my top 4, and very excited about my top 7. The bottom two were ok, but just not as good of a fit for me. So here's my list:

1. Miami (Jackson Memorial)
2. Vanderbilt
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Michigan
5. Rush
6. Emory
7. UAB
8. Pittsburgh
9. Baylor

Members don't see this ad :)
1. BIDMC/Harvard
2. UMiami
3. Mayo Clinic-Rochester
4. Emory

Top 4...

Last edited:
Wow, Miami is a popular choice!

I hope more share their lists. Really helps next year's applicants too so they can see what folks this year viewed highly.

Like you said interventional, lists are in now, cant change it. And we have all benefited from this board (and many like me without sharing much) so now is it! The Anesthesiology board has had 50 replies already for ROLs, amazing.

Yup Miami is awesome!! I really wanted to rank it no 1 but due to relationship reasons decided to try to appease the boo lol...but couldn't move it past no 2, without having palpitations!

I really hope more people do too, the Neurology board needs to become as "popular" as some of the others on SDN!

1. Mayo - Rochester
2. UCLA
3. Cleveland Clinic
4. Jefferson
5. University of Miami
6. University of Chicago
7. University of Cincinnati

Absolutely loved Mayo. Had to do some soul searching about possibly living in Rochester but I just went balls to the wall with my gut feeling. UCLA was amazing :cool: I don't think any program can have more flash and substance than they did. I liked Cleveland-it may have been a little more structured than the programs above it. University of Miami was a really great program and the residents/PD were SUPER FANTASTIC! I just don't know about living in Miami. Jefferson PLEASANTLY surprised me.
I think i would be happy at any of my top four.

1.) Vanderbilt
2.) UTSW
3.) Emory
4.) Miami
5.) Mt. Sinai
6.) Northwestern
7.) Rush
8.) Baylor
9.) NYU
10.) Case Western
11.) Homeschool as backup

I hope we all get our top choice! Good luck everyone.

1 UCLA
2 Emory
3 Rush
4 University of Chicago
5 Case
6 UAB
7 UIC
8 BNI
9 Iowa
10 Cincinnati
11 Vandy
12 Tufts
13 BU
14 Baylor

UCLA
Partners
Emory
Mayo
Hopkins
University of Chicago
Vandy
UAB
BNI
Columbia

Hey coup, I think I know you. Hope we all get our top choices.

Last edited:
1. Mayo (Rochester)
2. UTSW
3. Emory
4. Wake Forest
5. Yale
6. U Miami
7. UC Denver
8. Baylor
9. Home School

I would say all of these places were very good and each had its pros and cons. I was definitely torn between best program fit and locations. Hopefully everyone can get their top choice. Even if we don't I am sure we will make the best of where we train. Come on March 17th!!!!

Last edited:
1. Yale
2. Mt. Sinai
3. Einstein Montefiore
4. Northwestern
5. Rush
6. University of Chicago
7. Tufts
8. Boston University

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious why Texas was on the lower end of ppl's list?

1st post. Excited for match!

1. UPenn
2. Yale
3. Mt Sinai
4. Emory
5. UCLA
6. Brown
7. Einstein Montefiore
8-12. Others I wouldn't be as happy to go to

Truly loved Yale but am terrified of its location. Couldn't justify having it fall below #2 though. Also loved Emory but have no family/friends anywhere near Atlanta. Would really be happy at any of my top 7. Good luck everyone!

1. UCSF
2. UCSD
3. USC
4. Loma Linda
5. Harbor-UCLA
6. Kaiser-LA
7. UCI
8. Home school

I only applied to CA programs, so it may or may not be helpful. I'm surprised that UCLA is so high on everyone's list! They didn't interview me, but I'm over it ;) I would really only be happy at UCSF, so I'm crossing my fingers for the match! :luck: Best of luck everyone! I'm sure we're gonna be thrilled on 3/17!

By the way, if you would like to send me an anonymous ROL, I would be happy to post it.

Here is one I just got and was asked to post:

1. Yale
2. UWash
3. Rush
4. Northwestern
5. U Chicago
6. Cleveland Clinic
7. Ohio State

Big thanks to everyone contributing, keep it coming.

Another contribution! Keep em coming.

I was asked to keep this anonymous, so here it is. Again, everyone can contribute since either you can post from your account or do so anonymously via me!

1. Partners
2. Stanford
3. Columbia
4. Hopkins
5. UCLA
6. U Wash
7. Cornell

I posted my ROL earlier. If one of the aims of this thread is to help future applicants get a sense of why we ranked these programs where we did, I'd like to mention a few reasons why I ranked Yale number 1.

It seemed the program there was drifting a bit under the former chairman, and while it was still strong in research, clinically it was not on par with some of the other famous programs along the Atlantic coast from Massachusetts down to Miami. Administration decided to ramp up spending (Yale has a gigantic endowment and a huge donor base) and recruited 2 major players from Partners to be the new chair and new PD. Now, just in the last year, they have gotten funding to increase their residency class to 8 per year, they've hired several new faculty members (one, I think he's French, from UCSF, and the other an epileptologist from Columbia), they're building a new neurology addition to the hospital with increased office and research space, and they're planning to add several new fellowships in the next year or two, including stroke and possibly neurocritical care. There was palpable excitement there about the future and it was definitely infectious.

Like Beauceron posted earlier, I'm nervous about moving to New Haven and committing myself to be there for 3-4 years. It was really the only drawback to the program I could find.

Having said all this, if I end up at my other choices (Sinai, Einstein, Northwestern, Rush, or UChicago), I'll be super happy.

1 Penn
2 WashU
3 Partners
4 Columbia
5 Stanford
6 UCLA
7 BID

1. Mayo Arizona
2. University of Utah
3. University of Washington
4. Duke
5. University of Colorado
6. BNI
7. Kaiser LA
8. Brown
9. Ohio State University
10. Temple
11. University of Arizona

Anonymous list here. Thanks for contributing!

1. Michigan
2. Vanderbilt
3. Pittsburgh
4. Rochester (NY)
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. Rush
7. Ohio State
8. Cincinnati
9. Wayne State/DMC
10. Kentucky
11. Case Western
12. Tennessee
13. Toledo

Another anonymous rank list. Thanks for sending along! 12 ranked, top 7:

1. Penn
2. Partners
3. Cornell
4. BIDMC
5. Columbia
6. Hopkins
7. Yale

I wonder why Hopkins is so low on all the lists posted so far...Any experience?

Last edited:
1. Yale
2. Brown
3. Baylor
4. Duke
5. AE Montefiore
6. Jefferson
7. UMass
8. SUNY Downstate
9. Temple
10. AE Beth Israel
11. UMDNJ-RWJ
12. UMDNJ-Newark

Would be ecstatic at 1-4 :D. Would be happy at 5 or 6. 7 would be okay. 8+ onwards would be :confused: :( :mad: cause that would mean 1-7 didn't want me :( :(

Looks like Yale has done extremely well this year, and I have heard they have worked hard to keep improving an already strong program and it is showing. The usual suspects (Penn Partners UCSF UCLA) are highly ranked as always.

For Hopkins, I cannot answer as well as those who interviewed and ranked it. I actually did not even apply there and for me it was location. Location is terrible, especially compared to other big names. I did ask 2 of my classmates about Hopkins the other day actually --- both ranked it low. They said that as a program, it is known to have become over the years much more FMG and DO friendly vs. other big names, which for these 2 classmates, who are top MD candidates, was viewed as a not-so-positive sign (sounds really "holier than thou" but I kinda get it). And if you are good enough to get interviewed at Hopkins, you probably got lots of big names to rank as well so you have plenty of choice.

Again, just my anecdotal view here, I am 1% as qualified to answer as someone who actually interviewed and ranked it but that's my 2 cents.

why is Columbia ranking low or not at all on people's lists? location?

Fully aware that this is going to make me look like a freak, but:
Working with the ROLs that have been posted thus far, the 5 most 'popular' programs are:
UCLA (8 lists)
Partners (7)
Emory (7)
Rush (6)
Yale (6)

Assigning a weight of 5 to the 1st rank program in each list, and 1 to the 5th, the 'top' programs are:
Partners
UCLA
Emory
Yale
Mayo and UPenn (tied)

But taking those programs and ranking them according to the average position:
UPenn
Partners
Mayo
Yale
UCLA
Emory

bluntdissector, thanks for that! Interesting indeed.

Although it did not capture one thing that jumped out to me, and that is just how tough UCSF is to even get an interview at even vs. Partners UCLA Penn etc. In my mind, UCSF is without question the top program in the country factoring everything in. And we have some incredible rank lists above, and only **1** has UCSF on it. I am confident if others had an interview there, while not everyone would rank it #1, it would be in every person's top 7 at least. Which leads me to believe only 1 person amongst the posters above even got a UCSF interview. Talk about insanely selective. I don't feel nearly as bad about being rejected now! :)

Hopefully more ROLs -- anonymous via PM to me, or directly posted -- roll in and we can further the analysis. This is turning into something that will be helpful for future classes for sure. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Baylor has $1bil debt and $900k endowment. 6 sites (6 systems to learn). Fmg heavy.

How is that relevant to the residency training? The debt I doubt affects the residency training (unless you are looking at research). I agree 6 hospitals seem a bit too excessive, but then the upside is the vast pathology that you might not see elsewhere. FMG heavy, well, I'm not sure how that translates into a program being less desirable. Not trying to argue here, because I'm not a resident or anyone affiliated with Baylor, but I'm just talking based on my interview experience there. I'm also surprised to see people ranking it low on their list. But then again, the other programs ranked above on their list are equally amazing. Neverthless, looking forward to the match day :)

bluntdissector, thanks for that! Interesting indeed.

Although it did not capture one thing that jumped out to me, and that is just how tough UCSF is to even get an interview at even vs. Partners UCLA Penn etc. In my mind, UCSF is without question the top program in the country factoring everything in. And we have some incredible rank lists above, and only **1** has UCSF on it. I am confident if others had an interview there, while not everyone would rank it #1, it would be in every person's top 7 at least. Which leads me to believe only 1 person amongst the posters above even got a UCSF interview. Talk about insanely selective. I don't feel nearly as bad about being rejected now! :)

Hopefully more ROLs -- anonymous via PM to me, or directly posted -- roll in and we can further the analysis. This is turning into something that will be helpful for future classes for sure. :thumbup:

True, I see 4 people shared their interviews at UCSF, whilst UCLA had 10.

Another thing is the fact that Partners is ranked often, but not 1st very often in the sample here...

It must be said that UCSF might have the worst website of all the 'top' programs. Just dreadful.

There is some bias to this calculation - programs like UCSF are obviously very "popular", but only very few get interviewd there, thus, the popularity may not be reflected in posted ROLs. Also assigning a "5" as compared to let's say the 3rd choice in the list, seems to be random and overweighted, because many people struggle with the order of programs, especially in the upper part of the list. Thus, 1st and 2nd or even the 4th choice might be very close and your calculation skews this observation.

Anyway, it is a hint for how things could look like in reality, but at the end, we can't make big conclusions ...

Fully aware that this is going to make me look like a freak, but:
Working with the ROLs that have been posted thus far, the 5 most 'popular' programs are:
UCLA (8 lists)
Partners (7)
Emory (7)
Rush (6)
Yale (6)

Assigning a weight of 5 to the 1st rank program in each list, and 1 to the 5th, the 'top' programs are:
Partners
UCLA
Emory
Yale
Mayo and UPenn (tied)

But taking those programs and ranking them according to the average position:
UPenn
Partners
Mayo
Yale
UCLA
Emory

Anyway, it is a hint for how things could look like in reality, but at the end, we can't make big conclusions ...

I hoped that this much was obvious. :)

It only provides a summary (of sorts) of that thread.

GL to everyone on St. Patrick's day, and enjoy some libations either way.

1) Mayo (Rochester)
2) Rochester (NY)
3) UVA
4) Mt Sinai
5) Jefferson
6) NYU
7) Georgetown
8) BNI
9) Duke
10) Brown
11) UMD
12) UCSD

I thought you want to submit it to Ann Medicine?! :) So I gave you a short peer-review hehe

For Hopkins, I cannot answer as well as those who interviewed and ranked it. I actually did not even apply there and for me it was location. Location is terrible, especially compared to other big names. I did ask 2 of my classmates about Hopkins the other day actually --- both ranked it low. They said that as a program, it is known to have become over the years much more FMG and DO friendly vs. other big names, which for these 2 classmates, who are top MD candidates, was viewed as a not-so-positive sign (sounds really "holier than thou" but I kinda get it). And if you are good enough to get interviewed at Hopkins, you probably got lots of big names to rank as well so you have plenty of choice.

FMG heavy, well, I'm not sure how that translates into a program being less desirable. Not trying to argue here, because I'm not a resident or anyone affiliated with Baylor, but I'm just talking based on my interview experience there. I'm also surprised to see people ranking it low on their list. But then again, the other programs ranked above on their list are equally amazing. Neverthless, looking forward to the match day :)

Sadly we still have a baseless cult of elitism in medicine AND we're all going to be physicians. On the one hand, I think it's fair to be apprehensive about a program if it seems like it has a lot of FMGs AND appears to be a sweatshop. However, a program becoming more receptive to FMGs/DO's represents no factual evidence of caliber deterioration. Sheer snobbery. It may, however, also represent the fact that location is less desirable (cold, ghetto, etc) and programs that were historically unreceptive to DO's/FMGs fill up the MD leftovers.

Sadly we still have a baseless cult of elitism in medicine AND we're all going to be physicians. On the one hand, I think it's fair to be apprehensive about a program if it seems like it has a lot of FMGs AND appears to be a sweatshop. However, a program becoming more receptive to FMGs/DO's represents no factual evidence of caliber deterioration. Sheer snobbery. It may, however, also represent the fact that location is less desirable (cold, ghetto, etc) and programs that were historically unreceptive to DO's/FMGs fill up the MD leftovers.

You are spot on.

My list is based on: strong programs in Ohio and Michigan then strong programs overall then less strong programs in Michigan and Ohio and finally less strong programs overall.

1. UMich
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Case Western
4. UCincy
5. Partners
6. BIDMC
7. Mayo (Rochester)
8. WashU
9. UToledo
10. Henry Ford
11. Ohio State
12. USC
13. UCSD

Last edited:
By the way, I totally agree it is snobbery on the part of my 2 classmates who lowered Hopkins due to the FMG DO friendly nature. But I wanted to share the honest reasoning they trusted me with anonymously for what it was worth.

One more "California or bust" rank list, anonymously submitted. This candidate added: "I was pretty happy to get lots of Cailfornia interviews, but while I got UCSF and UCLA, I did not get interviews at Loma Linda or Harbor. Good luck to everyone for Match Day".

1 - UCSF
2 - UCLA
3 - Stanford
4 - UCSD
5 - USC
6 - UC Davis
7 - UC Irvine

I thought you want to submit it to Ann Medicine?! :) So I gave you a short peer-review hehe

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

How is that relevant to the residency training? The debt I doubt affects the residency training (unless you are looking at research). I agree 6 hospitals seem a bit too excessive, but then the upside is the vast pathology that you might not see elsewhere. FMG heavy, well, I'm not sure how that translates into a program being less desirable. Not trying to argue here, because I'm not a resident or anyone affiliated with Baylor, but I'm just talking based on my interview experience there. I'm also surprised to see people ranking it low on their list. But then again, the other programs ranked above on their list are equally amazing. Neverthless, looking forward to the match day :)

Endowments help pay for good attgs to train under.

Anonymous list sent to me today. The candidate added: "I'd like to add that my list was pretty influenced by my significant other. On my own, UCLA would have been my #1 and I would have ranked Partners below Columbia and UCSF. As for the Hopkins issue - I would have liked to rank it lower because I got a really weird vibe from the PD and some of the faculty."

1) Partners
2) Columbia
3) UCSF
4) UPenn
5) Hopkins
6) Wash U
7) BI
8) Cornell
9) Stanford
10) Vanderbilt
11) Miami
12) Northwestern
13) Duke
14) Emory
15) UCLA

Let's just say I have yet to meet a girl that could have enough sway over me to move my top choice to #15 on my list.

Baylor has $1bil debt and $900k endowment. 6 sites (6 systems to learn). Fmg heavy.

This is old news. Baylor's endowment is now back up to 3 billion due to major changes implemented by their new president.

I have limited knowledge of the neurology department, but just wanted to set the facts straight about the overall finances of the school.

Actually that is not true. Latest Bloomberg report is that it is at $1.44 billion.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=3768016

I apologize for my error, I was repeating what I was told by a faculty member.

What is interesting is that Baylor has nearly doubled its endowment in 8 months (it was $795 million as of June 30, 2010 according to http://www.bcm.edu/advancement/index.cfm?PMID=16233)

I have yet to understand why I always hear about Baylor's decrease in endowment, but not about any other schools that were also hit by the recession. According to http://www.cnbc.com/id/35199757/Biggest_2009_College_Endowment_Losses, Baylor's endowment dropped by 33% while schools like Harvard & Yale also lost just under 30% of their endowment. It appears that many schools were hit hard in 2009.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I was just hoping to set the record straight, which unfortunately I did a poor job at by not confirming my second-hand information before posting. Lesson learned.