Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty happy today. :)

I've been waffling, terribly nervous, about how to find a DO to sit down and chat with/shadow.

So.. I took the advice from an earlier post in this forum and contacted my state's DO association. The guy who e-mailed me back could have not possibly been any nicer... and surprisingly told me there were about 20 DO's in my area, and he'd put out the "call" for any of them willing to chat with me.

Got an e-mail from one DO this morning asking me to call him at my convenience and he'd be happy to talk to me! :clap: :)

So, getting along to what I wanted to ask... I'm trying to formulate a list of questions I want to ask him, or things to bring up... but wanted to be sure that I'm not just drawing a blank and missing something interesting or relavent that pre-med might ordinarily need to know.. Anybody have any suggestions?

(sorry, actually this is kinda a pointless post, I just had to share my so-called good news somewhere) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

You can ask him about his background, why he got into medicine. Why he chose osteopathy. I'm sure a healthy conversation will develop. Ask him about where he went to medical school, etc. When I shadowed I had the good fortune to go to a DO whom I had seen as a patient. He knew a lot about me before I came in to shadow. He was also a preceptor (FP) and had a student with him at the time. I got to ask her a lot of questions too.

Just go with the flow. You will think of things to bring up or ask while you are talking. I'm sure that he will have plenty to ask you as well, as I'm sure he realizes you will most likely ask for a LOR eventually. I didn't even have to ask my DO for a letter. He offered it up when I we discussed shadowing.

Good luck,

Russell